oldlineman

M 14 starts better

oldlineman

Hi all I replaced the fuel pump on my 1989 414-8, Kohler M14, spec.# 601540, Ser.# 199xx110353, with a new plastic pump. The tractor was starting hard and after sitting 2 or more weeks it would not start without putting gas in carb. Well when I took the old pump off it was a plastic pump, I was thinking it would be a metal one. Ok when did they start putting plastic pumps on Kohler engines? By the way the new pump made a great improvement in starting. The old pump was pumping but maybe not enough. I was just suprised that there was a plastic pump on a 1989 Kohler engine, maybe replaced before I got it?I thought this might help someone with a hard starting engine, just one more thing to check. Bob ( oldlineman )

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Thanks for the info.   Both Kohler Ms that I have owned were hard starting,  requiring a long crank time, apparently to get fuel to the carb.

I sold the M14, but still have the M12 that I plan to keep. 

Some suggestions to resolve these starting problems of the M engines are primer bulbs, shut off valves, and electric fuel pumps.

If the two check valves in the fuel pumps were sealing properly, they should prevent any fuel from flowing back out of the carb, but they must not be sealing.

I will check to see if my '91 312 M has a plastic pump.

BTW, as anyone from Somerset, Pa knows, we need to have our snow removal equipment working properly and starting easily.

I spent my youth in southern Somerset Co. high atop the Appalachian Mts. near Mt Davis, the highest point in Pa.

• Like 2

oldlineman

Your very right about Somerset Co. we get snow! But the snow duty is on the back of my 1979 C-101 she gets the snow moved and the 1989 414-8 cuts the grass, that doesn't seem fair to the old girl but I have had her from new and she just won't stop. I looked up where Felton Pa. is and I worked in Glen Rock severial years ago and that seems very close to you. Small world :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Well, my '91  312 also has a plastic pump and It does appear original.  

I am starting to wonder if the hard starting of the M engines are caused by the lower under the seat location of the fuel tank that is allowing the fuel to drain from the carb back through these cheaper plastic pumps that must have leaking valves  back into the tank.  Most of the models with the K engines had the tank above the carb so a leaky pump valve would not be a problem.

I will put a high temporary tank on my 312 and see if that helps the slow start problem

Wheel-N-It

Ed I'm pretty sure replacing the fuel pump on your M12 will fix that hard to start after sitting two weeks problem. Don't waste your time and money on fuel shut off valves or primer bulbs and electric fuel pumps. I get pumps at NAPA for just under $40. That may not he a great price but they work very well. 

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

I'm pretty sure that my 310 had the plastic pump as original equipment and it is a 1988 ,it has always started right away even in sub zero weather as long as the battery was ok . Anyway I figure 15 years on each of the 2 fuel pumps it's had using ethanol fuel ain't bad as that is the only part I've replaced in all that time. Right now the old girl is doing mower duty  with the 48 inch side discharge  and she will handle anything either of the 18's will repairs and maintenance over 28 years have cost me under 300.00  pretty impressive  imho

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

well last year i brought home a magnum 8 from work. i got around to working on it found pump was shot. well that time i wasnt into getting on redsquare or really researching and knew pumps from kohlor were $$$. so i went to my local repair shop and the took a fuel pump block off plate drilled a hole taped it for pipe threads and gave me a brarbed fitting. needless to say its got one those cheap briggs pulse pumps on that magnum now. and it also has a old k series carb i put on it (carter carb) with the old airfilter setup the engine is on dads 502. now this magnum since it had all this work done to it. yea if you let it sit for a few days you got to choke it usually 1-3 pulls. now if you start it everyday it may not even need choke and i am serious it fires up cold with no choke if you start it everyday.

Wheel-N-It

Hey there pretty good. Sounds like no problem there on your magnum 8.

I have seen these Kohler pumps get weak and just barely dribble enough gas to keep the engine running but not running well. 

Sometimes I think it's best to replace the pump every 500 hours just to head off any fuel delivery problems. Thats not a part of my regular maintenance program but it has been on my mind.

953 nut

The choke plate on the standard Waltbew Carburetor has some rather large openings in it, probably EPA required! They contribute to the hard start problem. We put an old Carter on a friend's 310-8 and it started a lot better.

• Like 1

Tonyp

Pulling fuel from the very rear, then UPHILL to the fuel pump requires that perky fuel pump to be working efficiently. No gas line leaks, no lose fittings and the fuel pump check valves must be seated properly as well as working properly. If indeed the fuel pump loses it's prime it can be a task to get it PRIMED again. Revisit those check valves, maybe even replace them, but do remember this is a sealed system all the way back to the GAS in the tank.  

I have a 1987/310  still all original parts. This fuel pump thing can be a real drag !   BUT, recently I changed the entire fuel feed system, new line, new filter, HOSE CLAMPS and cleaned the fuel  pump (again) .

So far, month or two, it starts on half a crank even after sitting.  I do believe I will replace the fuel pump regardless. It's the weak link.

• Like 1