98layinframe

Wheel backspacing for wh wheels?

98layinframe

Can anyone tell me the original backspacing on a stock set of 8.5" widea 520 wheels? I picked up a set of 8.5" wheels off an old bolens for free but the face is reversed... so I cut the centers out and now flipping them around to work.

Their going on a 414-8 with only a 42" deck with some 23x10.5 carlisle tru powers.  If I have to,  I'll mod the leveling wheels location on the deck to fit the tires. 

cschannuth

About an 1 1/4" I think but hopefully someone will confirm.  

• Like 1

98layinframe

I know the 7" wheels are around that.. guess the 8.5's are similar and just stick out an extra 1.5" further.

I might have to suck mine in a little bit since not to sure that'd clear the deck.

• Like 1

cschannuth

I have the 7 inch and 8.5 inch wheels and the back spacing is the same on both. 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
On 9/23/2016 at 9:19 PM, 98layinframe said:

I know the 7" wheels are around that.. guess the 8.5's are similar and just stick out an extra 1.5" further.

I might have to suck mine in a little bit since not to sure that'd clear the deck.

If you pull it in at all, you will not be able to run chains on it in the winter, they will hit the tractor, just fyi! :handgestures-thumbupright:

98layinframe

I worked on it some this weekend, the original 7" wheels measured at 1.5" to the inner lip, I set the new ones at 1.75" to the inner lip, so don't think that quarter inch will bother anything especially since the side walls will be slightly more stretched and less bulgy.   I will definitely have to modify the mower deck rear wheels though, pulling them forward and spacing them out a little to clear the tires in the raised position! haha.

roadapples

I think too that 1 1/4" is correct...