Aldon

Regarding soft chute for rear of 42 RD deck

Aldon

Gents,

What is the purpose of the holes machined into rear of the 42 inch deck. See circled area on pic.

I am guessing it was for a chute of some type. Were any officially sold?

At least, that is what I am considering adding to mine.

Has anyone done so? Did it help reduce material collecting on  the transmission? If someone has had success, what material did you use?

The primary reason I wish to do this is that on one of my decks I use double blades and it produces a mulching affect but it also causes an inordinate amount of material to be ejected from the rear and propels it further. Thus causing even more to collect around the tranny.

42 inch RD deck shell rear holes identified.jpg

Edited by Aldon

GlenPettit

IMG_0167.m4vIMG_0167.m4vIMG_0167.m4vIMG_0167.m4vIMG_0167.m4vAldon:   In the early 80's, Wheel Horse offered a metal strip (Baffle, 3x30") to be bolted on there, only offered a short time ?

What I did is bolt on a 4" piece of thick rubber, so it stuck out about 2" --- this greatly reduced the "updraft" of dry grass clippings (that settled on tranny & shift area), and helped keep the grass spread low & further.  

You may have to shorten it to 1" where the rear wheels may hit when turning.  I recommend doing this, really helps.

Glen

(Kitchen floor edge, 4x36" costs bout $2-3, better is 'baler belting' at farm store, 4x120" is $8).

Photos added 8:15pm.   On the cost of Baler Belt, OMG, at our local TSC a 4"x10' piece was only $8.95. Could be any kind of heavy/thick rubber, like left-over horse-stall mat, or truck bed mat, or . . . ?).

IMG_0267.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 9

Aldon

Thanks Glen!

I will try the Tractor Supply ans see if I can locate the Baler Belting material.

Just what I was looking for information wise!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I have used vinyl baseboard material for the same purpose.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

It shows up for the very first 42" rear discharge decks

1976 model 65-42MR01

1977 models 75-42MR01 and 75-42MR02

Disappeared for 1978.

There is a part number there but the description is wrong. Suspect the original 105832 part number got used later for a grooved pin.

Garry

• Like 3

Aldon

Well the Baler Belt material was 40.00 and the baseboard material was less than 3.00 so I went with the baseboard material and will do proof of concept and see how the vinyl puts up with the abuse. If the addition of the chute improves the deflection of material and reduces significantly the build up on the tranny, I pony up for the longer life fix of baler belt. The baler belt material is exactly what I would choose if I knew of a certainty the chute would solve my issues.

• Like 1

Aldon

Got around to sharpening blades, greasing spindles and installing the chute fabbed from baseboard molding. Just in time to store it until spring.:unsure:

but it it looks like it will at least block some if not all the clippings from collecting on the hydro.

IMG_1617.JPGIMG_1618.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

briankd

I suppose this would work on the older RD decks. one reason I quite mowing with my 857. whole rear end axles / inside rear wheels went to crap. always washed and cleaned it every time I mowed. just got tired of xtra work cleaning to keep it nice. 

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Aldon:

Smart idea to tuck the ends of the rubber on the ends, I like it. :D

• Like 3

fast88pu

It's hard to see but it's on there lolIMG-20160801-00553.jpg

• Like 2

tunahead72
15 hours ago, GlenPettit said:

Aldon:

Smart idea to tuck the ends of the rubber on the ends, I like it. :D

Probably, unless it allows material to collect there instead of exiting out the back.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the spring. :popcorn:

Aldon, did you fasten those "tucks" somehow, or are they just loose inside the shell?

GlenPettit

fast88pu:

It looks like your (nice looking) rear tires are a little larger than 23"DIA, and appear very close to the deck.

For my deck extension, I had to trim off about 1" where the tires would have rubbed the rubber when turning.  Actual testing in use will tell you the most.

fast88pu

They are 26x12x12 and do make contact when the deck is raised.