98layinframe

transmission howls?

98layinframe

Using the tractor last night to haul the trailer around, and noticed when in third gear high range and under some load driving down the road it was making some what of a howling noise while under load.  Its an 86 8 speed that I'm over driving with the larger hydro pulley on the engine.  Is this normal?  I'm assuming these aren't spiral cut gears and so some noise in high gear is normal?  The tractor seems to drive and pull perfectly fine with no leaks.  I also recently changed the tranny fluid and it was a little milky, so replaced the rubber shifter boot and filled it up with 2 quarts of 90wt gear oil... hopefully that's the right stuff?  Im thinking of draining it again for a second flush, and then filling it with some Lucas heavy oil stabilizer and then rest with the remaining gear oil.

bmsgaffer

I would not worry about the stabilizer (there is some evidence about it causing extra air bubbles and frothing that gets suspended in the oil almost permanently). Just keep fresh, good quality 90wt or 90-140wt in there and it will be fine. 

Some howling is normal in high, especially when you are over driving it.  As you said they are all straight cut gears. 

• Like 4

Racinbob

Is this happening only when there's a full moon! :greetings-waveyellow:

Seriously, unless it's excessive I wouldn't worry about it. I'm with Brandon on the gear oil. No stabilizer. Make sure you lift the front of the tractor when you drain it. The center bolt on the bottom creates a hump that traps a fair amount of oil in front of it. :)

• Like 2

98layinframe

Dude it's twice as bad on full moon evenings! Haha. 

Ok thanks guys, I was just wondering... and praying nothings wrong.  Doesn't seem to make any other strange noises or grinding sounds so assume it's fine. 

• Like 1