dirtnap

417-8

dirtnap

Hello all,

Quick introduction, I picked up a 1986 417 with 325 hours on the clock.  The tractor had been sitting inside for about 15 years.  Changed the oil, added gear oil to unidrive, new fuel filter, cleaned the air filter, sprayed the cylinders with fogging spray, new plugs and a battery.  Also cleaned out a mouse nest under the battery.  She started up after about 10 cranks.  I've been mowing with it for about a month with no real problems.  One issue however is the rear end looks like it had leaked most of the oil while in storage, the rear end is covered in a layer of greasy crud.  I'm thinking that the gasket between the halves had maybe dried up (?) This isn't my first Wheel Horse but I've never split a trans on one. 

Should I just fill it, clean it and keep an eye for leaks or go ahead and split it and see what I'm working with?

Also a real weird thing happened but only once.  It appears that the dipstick had gotten munched up in the gears.  After I initially checked the level and filled it, then replaced the dipstick and ran it, the next time I pulled the dipstick, the last two inches was all bent up.  Not sure what going on there.

slammer302

I would clean it up and keep a eye on it. most of the time they don't leak from that gasket they leak from one of the seals on the axle or input shaft. I would make sure thats were its coming from before going through the work of pulling the trans. Welcome to:rs:

• Like 2

dirtnap

Thanks slammer.  Judging by where the grease is caked on the outside, I don't think it's axle or shaft seals.

Any idea how the dipstick could get munched?

dipstick.jpg

Also, any idea what the model number is for that trans?

slammer302

Not sure about the dipstick but it looks like it lost the battle.

I've had a few horses with nasty oily transmission housings and cleaned them up and not see any oil leaks. And i've had sum with nasty oily transmissions that have huge leaks never hurts to clean one up just to see what you have. Plus a small leak over the years of having grass and dirt stick to it will look alot worse than it may be.

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

dirtnap

Thanks for the help slammer.  I'll see how it plays out long term.

gwest_ca

garry

bmsgaffer

With your dipstick looking like that, I'm gonna put bets on your dipstick tube being broken/cracked (its plastic). That will leak on top and then EVERYTHING gets messy.

That could also explain the dipstick getting eaten, if it got dipped in too far and the diff bolts took a crack at it. 

Power wash or clean it off real good, run it for a while and look for drips. 

It could be as simple as the drain bolt not being tightened enough and when the tractor runs it just drips over everything behind it.

stevasaurus

Isn't there 2 different lengths of dip sticks??  Maybe you have the wrong one.  :think:

I would not worry too much about that gasket leaking either.  If any thing else is leaking, it will run down and look like it is the gasket.  If it turns out to be the gasket, You just need to take off the left side and replace it...you do not have to take the gears out.  You do have to drop the tranny though.  :)

One way to check the accuracy of the dip stick...pull out the check plug (I think) on the left side behind the axle housing, and put oil in the trans until it starts to run out that hole.  Replace the plug, put in the dip stick and check the reading.  It should be on or near full.  Whatever it says...that is the correct level.  Make a mark and cut off the rest...if that is what happened.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus