RickF

GT14 throttle cable

RickF

Hello, 

I have a GT14 that currently has the stock throttle cable on it. With this cable, it's pulled out to accelerate, and twisted to the left to lock in the desired throttle setting. I assume there are probably other Wheel Horses that use this same throttle. With mine, when I try to lock in the throttle setting, it doesn't lock in. It just slips back. How can I fix this? Is this throttle cable replacement still available? Can what I have be fixed, perhaps if I spray it with WD40? To be honest, I actually hate this setup. I would rather have the throttle on a lever. Anyway, I'll need to get this done before the snow season. Does anybody have any ideas or advice?  Thank You.   Rick

Achto
1 hour ago, RickF said:

Is this throttle cable replacement still available?

psep.biz has replacement cables that work well for around $9. Part #ROT9135. I had to adjust the length of mine for my 1076, but it works great..

pfrederi

Even cheaper is this redneck fix.  one clothes pin fast idle..two pins full throttle

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

• Like 5

RickF

Thank you guys for the tips, and the lead to a new cable.

ztnoo

Here's my "Hoosierized" half-assed solution to this nagging problem.

As opposed to the 'clothespin solution', my fix it allows for much finer throttle settings, due to the slender width dimensions of the securing "tool".

It's a old man's solution to something that works, which didn't work before........and I didn't have to spend untold hours making the fix showroom perfect.

It allows me to continue to make weekly use of my 47 year old machine during mowing season, without much concern.

C'est la vie.

My one and only WH is is working steed......any way I can get it done.

No trailer queens around my acreage.

IMG_0797 a.jpg

• Like 1

Aldon

Pretty much all the replacements lose their locking capability. I have yet to find a high quality locking cable of same style as original. I was told that their might be a better quality cable of similar style that was for really old Jeeps. Have not found that but have not spent a lot of time searching either. I end up using a small set of vice grips as sown above.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

KC9KAS
1 hour ago, ztnoo said:

Here's my "Hoosierized" half-assed solution to this nagging problem.

As opposed to the 'clothespin solution', my fix it allows for much finer throttle settings, due to the slender width dimensions of the securing "tool".

It's a old man's solution to something that works, which didn't work before........and I didn't have to spend untold hours making the fix showroom perfect.

It allows me to continue to make weekly use of my 47 year old machine during mowing season, without much concern.

C'est la vie.

My one and only WH is is working steed......any way I can get it done.

No trailer queens around my acreage.

IMG_0797 a.jpg

Hey, that is what I use on my GT-14 (and a couple of others)!

ztnoo

Hey...............it's great to know I'm not alone solving this problem.

thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Treepep
On 9/20/2016 at 6:44 PM, Aldon said:

Pretty much all the replacements lose their locking capability. I have yet to find a high quality locking cable of same style as original. I was told that their might be a better quality cable of similar style that was for really old Jeeps. Have not found that but have not spent a lot of time searching either. I end up using a small set of vice grips as sown above.

T-handle locking 806337

I have not purchased.  I just vice it as well.  Came across this thread on an internet search for a replacement.  25 bucks. maybe someday.  Need to get it back to a functional mower first.  Happy horsing

ronhatch

OMG! Clothespins? Vice grips?  Really guys? come on. Buy a lever style cable, cut a small slot in the dash plate and fix it right. It's not that hard to do.  This is only the 2nd day of the new year and I already broke one of my resolutions to be less critical and more kind.

Edited by ronhatch
  • Heart 1