Sign in to follow this  
kwalshy

Voltage Regulator / Rectifier Question on 520H

kwalshy

Hi,

I need to replace the voltage rectifier on a 520H. 

So I ordered the following replacement part: "New Rectifier Regulator for Onan P-Series Alternators 16 17 18 19 20HP Engines 20 Amp Rating 191-1748, 191-2106, 191-2208, 191-2227 by Crank-n-Charge"

This new rectifier has 3 male spade connectors, yet on the tractor I have voltage rectifier with 4 spade connectors.  I've attached a picture of the current rectifier.

Can I use this new rectifier and assume I can wire the white and grey wires together?

Or is this currently installed rectifier something special since it has 4 spade connectors and the two wires need to be independent of each other?

Thank you for helping me out.

Regards,

Kevin

520H Voltage Rectifier.jpg

Edited by kwalshy
error on wire color, changed from white to grey

buckrancher

there are only 3 on the Rectifier as one is piggy backed on the same connector

• Like 4

Eman

2 white wires are the stator wires they should connect to the 2 outside connectors. The red is going to the fuse block to the 30 amp fuse, then back to the battery for charging. The grey wire is piggy backed and is your tachometer wire, it is that way from the factory and just clips on the way you've got it. Looks like you are all set.

• Like 5

DougC

Yes, I replaced mine on my worker '88 520H last December and added a second wire on the double terminal to the tach. I then had a working charging system and a working tachometer.  Some previous owner had messed with the wiring 9 pin connector, so I ran a direct wire to the tach from the regulator.

• Like 1

kwalshy

Thank you all for the feedback.  I appreciate the help!  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• supoc7
      By supoc7
      I have a 1987 wheel horse M10 461521 that has a voltage regulator. Now, all the schematics I've seen show no VR.
      This is supposed to be an unregulated charging system. Now it's charging about 18 volts on a new fully charged battery.
      The VR has 3 terminals H,B,S and the number on it is 1046. I would like to replace the VR but not sure with what. The
      lights only work with the engine running. I don't want to ruin this battery with this high charging rate. Anybody have any ideas
      on whats going on?
    • oldredrider
      By oldredrider
      Assuming the front mount Wheel Horse generators were made by Generac, is there a source for parts for these units?
      Been searching the web but parts for these older units seem scarce.
      Would appreciate any help or direction I can get to keep this "old stuff" running.
    • Rob R
      By Rob R
      So I have a Honda gx390 OHV engine in one of my Sears Suburban's which runs great and has cut my lawn for at least 5 years, it has electric and pull start. The engine was installed by the PO as was the wiring. Since I have owned it, it has never charged correctly. It has two wires coming from the engine one black and one brown... The black is currently connect back to the B+ through a small 1 inch plastic connector that has the symbol for a Diode on it I suspected that this is the juice back to the battery don't know if this is also some sort of rectifier (very small like one inch X one inch plastic) I took the voltage reading off this and it was a very low reading ….. like 2.5 volts DC.  The other brown wire to me was more like it this wire is just hanging not connected voltage measured 27-32 volt AC.... Both wires have the same push-on connector and I seriously considered switching the wires (connecting the hanging 27-32 volt AC to the Diode and see what happens but I didn't have the courage to do it). 

Questions :   Could I install a new circuit using a external rectifier to the 27 volt AC drop?  Note there is only ONE wire from the stator putting out the 27 volts DC all the Wheel Horse rectifiers I have seen have TWO wires and a B+ tab. Would you try connecting the hot AC volt line to the current Diode/Rectifier?  Could doing this take out the Diode, also If yes and this provides DC output how would I control the amount of charge to the battery.  Do they make ONE wire (AC input Rectifiers) ?

Lots of questions I really need to solve this problem so that the battery stays charged and I can use the starter.  Thanks in advance

• JNMULL
      By JNMULL
      Good morning, I have been a long time reader, but a first time poster. 

I have a 1988 Wheel Horse 520HC Tractor.  Does not charge, and I have to assume that it is due to the fuse at the front of the engine being blown.  However if I replace the fuse that is located at the front of the engine, the wire at the voltage regulator will get hot, start to smoke as it melts the wires insulation.

I have not started testing anything yet, as I just have stumbled upon this issue and was wondering if anyone else has had the same style of problem and what kind of repair did you have to perform.

Thanks.
    • ztnoo
      By ztnoo
      I have a 1969 GT 14, 1-7741, which originally had a K321 14 hp engine that gave up the ghost.
      That was replaced with a K341 16 hp engine.
      The original rectifier was used when the new K341 was installed and performed fine.

I am now in need of a new rectifier because of broken male spade.
      How can I identify the proper rectifier to match with a Kohler engine (in my case for a K321 or a K341), and what resource can I research to obtain that information?

Regards,
      Steve