SPINJIM

Considering a 417-8 (versus a 12 hp)

SPINJIM

I'm considering purchase of a 417-8 for use as a snow blower this winter.    I used a C-120 last winter, and it just didn't blow the snow as far as I wanted.   I'm wondering whether the K17T engine would throw the snow a little better, or should I stick with the 12 hp ?   The rpm specs for both engines are 3200 rpm, but would the additional power help any with the deep snow ?   Any opinions welcomed ?

Jim

bmsgaffer

I would guess that it would help tremendously with the amount of snow you can bite before it starts to bog down. So you should be able to move a bit faster and in theory that should chuck the snow better

In theory, you won't be spinning the snow blower any faster so you probably won't get a whole lot more distance, but it will probably feel a lot farther being able to throw more snow with the added HP and torque of the twin.  

:confusion-shrug: 

Are you a short or long chute? I hear that the long chute is a pretty good upgrade for throwing snow. Also make sure that you have a smooth surface in the chute (paint it and then coat with a hydrophobic coating for BEST results) and that your PTO is adjusted properly and bearings and chain are all good to go.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I have a short chute snow thrower.  I put on a new chain last year, but couldn't get to some of the bearings to make them run very smoothly.    Maybe a newer snow thrower on my 12 hp would be a better investment.  :think:

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM

Ed Kennell

I used my C-120 for snow blowing for many years Jim, and it did run out of power in the deeper heavier snows.

I now use a 520  with a tall chute and have no lack of power.

I have installed a smaller pulley on the blower to increase the RPM and I have installed the rubber paddles in the auger to close the gap with the housing.

So, my experience is , the 12 HP will do an adequate job ,but you must use a lower ground speed in the heavy snow.

The extra HP from the 17 would definitely be a better choice to keep the blower RPM and the ground speed up to make the best use of the blower.

:twocents-02cents: 

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I am of the mind that the more horsepower the better. My 520 was a bull. My 416 is very up to the task. Imho, the 417 would be better. My thoughts to me anyway.

Glenn

ACman

Um hello , C-120 with a plow and 417-8 with a blower . You know you want it anyway :) !

• Like 7

T-Mo

Mowing, tilling, and snow blowing are the three main areas where extra hp (and torque) will make a difference.  So, a correct running 17hp will out perform a correct running 12 hp during snow blowing duties.

• Like 3

bmsgaffer
2 hours ago, ACman said:

Um hello , C-120 with a plow and 417-8 with a blower . You know you want it anyway :) !

:text-yeahthat: Those were my thoughts exactly! :D

• Like 3

gsummers

2 years ago I had my blower on a 312, last year bought a 417A, what a difference that made, go for the 417, you won`t regret it

slammer302

Go with the 417 I've had two this year and I have enjoyed both alot. Both of them had high hours the one I still have has 1437 hrs smokes on start up but is a good WH

• Like 2

c-series don

I have a 417-A and a 44" two stage blower and that baby kicks _ _ _  If the moisture content of the snow is just right it will throw it up to the phone wires. And that my friends makes me smile! But please let's not rush this snow thing. Right now here on eastern Long Island it's 72 degrees and I'm just fine with that 😀

• Like 2

SPINJIM

I went to look at the 417-8 today in person.   It looked a lot better on the internet than in person.   Seller had washed it, and painted some of it with wrong colors.  Fair amount of peeling paint.   It has electrical problems and some broken clutch linkage.   I made the seller an offer lower than his asking price, but he turned it down, probably because he just listed it three days ago.   Engine sounded good, and only had 488 hours, but they must have been hard hours.  I passed on it.

Instead I've decided to get a newer snow thrower with the high chute to use on my 312.    I've been told that the high chute makes a difference compared to the short I used last year.   But I'll also keep my eyes open for a better 417.    

Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Jim

• Like 3

Ken B

Get the tall chute thrower and continue to look for a tractor with more Horse power. Bottom line is more Horse Power with a thrower equals more satisfaction and that turns into more fun.. I had a 417-8 with almost 2000 HARD hrs. on it and she still ran excellent when I let it go. Peeling paint is the norm for these year tractors, electrical bugs are as well and they aren't too hard to sort out. More than likely he painted the two side panels as they almost always peel.. They are very easy to take off and repaint in a color that matches better. Without seeing pics of that 417 and what his asking price is there is no way for us to know whether it was a deal or not...  488 hrs is very low hrs. There is never a way to tell if they are accurate but if you know what to look for and what a low hr tractor should feel like that really helps. I also had a 417 with 400 hrs. and it was a world of difference from the one I had with 2000 hrs. on it. Cosmetics are an easy fix..

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 2

SPINJIM

BOUGHT IT !

I guess ACman and bmsgaffer were right.   I really wanted the 417-8.   Decent twin engine WHs are hard to find, and I can't afford a 520, so I bought the 417.   I figured that snow throwers are easier to find than 417s.    The 417 needs a little work, but the engine runs great, and only has 488 hours.   Forked over $600 for it, but considering that I got my 312-8 for $50 last year, I'm averaging $325 each.   The 417 will run a snow thrower of some kind, and the 312 will be my plow tractor.   

417-8 001.jpg

417-8 003.jpg

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

IMHO, you stole it. Looks very very nice and will you love it, trust me.

Glenn

Oh and, BEST OF LUCK  :happy-jumpeveryone:

Ed Kennell

:handgestures-thumbupright:   looks great Jim.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I have a 520 and would trade the Onan for a Kohler any day of the week. You done good.

It may be that the torque of the 17 is closer in power than the HP numbers suggest.  Just a guess.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

A 417 with so few hours for $600? Yeah, I would have done that! I don't care what else that one could possibly need, only a fool would have walked away from the one in the pic.

You did real good ;)

• Like 1