elcamino/wheelhorse

Tires size and carb question

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have a 1988 416-8 with turf tires on it size 23 x9.5x 12 would I have any problems with chains rubbing if I install 23x10.5 12 turf tires?  Secondly I suck when it comes to adjusting carbs. I replaced the spark plug and the old plug is black indicating a too rich mixture.Which way would turn the needle jet, In or out ? Please don't laugh too hard . Dumb down your instructions on the carb .  I have seen carbs grow legs and run when I approach with tools in hand.

• Like 6

Dan Hankins

In to lean, out to richen

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks  Dan hopefully I will not mess it up.

Dan Hankins

Pretty simple stuff just make small adjustments and don't crank on them and mess up the needles or seats

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I have a 1988 416-8 with turf tires on it size 23 x9.5x 12 would I have any problems with chains rubbing if I install 23x10.5 12 turf tires?  Secondly I suck when it comes to adjusting carbs. I replaced the spark plug and the old plug is black indicating a too rich mixture.Which way would turn the needle jet, In or out ? Please don't laugh too hard . Dumb down your instructions on the carb .  I have seen carbs grow legs and run when I approach with tools in hand.

A few considerations regarding the tire size:

1.  Tires from different manufacturers, although the same size, will have different dimensions. Kenda 23X10.50-12 Turfs are larger than Titan/Carlisle 23X10.50-12 turf tires.Two of    my 5xi are equipped with each brand. Deestone seem to run narrower in their ag tires for example.
  2. Are you changing the wheel size for the 23X10.50-12 tires? That size tire should have an 8.5" wide rim compared to the 7" rim you have. They will go on the narrower rim but there will be some "ballonning" appearance-wise.
  3. If you are pushing snow, the 23X10.50-12 tires on 10.5" wide rims will be outside the path of a 42" blade when it is on an angle using the sector adjustment. A 48" blade doesn't have that problem.
  4. Actually for driving in snow, a narrower tire digs in rather than a wider tire that tends to float on snow. It is more an issue though for a car than our tractors.. 
  • Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@shallowwatersailor Thanks that information helps on the tires . I am carrying the tires that are on the 416 to a local garage since I will never get the seal broken and will have tubes installed. Just had the larger tires , but was not sure they would work. Did not want to pay the garage twice.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse

shallowwatersailor
4 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@shallowwatersailor Thanks that information helps on the tires . I am carrying the tires that are on the 416 to a local garage since I will never get the broken and will have tubes installed. Just had the larger tires , but was not sure they would work. Did not want to pay the garage twice.

Big tires do look good on our tractors! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Had a 63 Chevy Impala SS that sucker looked great with Red Line Wide Ovals. The youngsters on the Forum are going go What the hey is a " Wide Oval" ?

• Like 2

doc724

As a follow-up to John Matthews post, I replaced the 23x9.5x12 Dico tires that came on my 416H with same size Kenda tires.  I went to put the chains on and there is interference everywhere so I went without chains last year.  Thinking that it was because of the hydro, I tried them on my 314-8.  Same problem, the tires are wider than the Dico tires and the chains rub on the gas tank supports.  This year I will put new tires on the 314-8 and I will again go with Kenda but 23x8.5x12.  You are probably asking what is so special about Kenda?  You can get them in 4 ply for a reasonable price.  4 ply is more resistant to thorns which is always a problem here.

BTW, try going to Walmart auto center.  They may be much lower cost than the local garage.  Last year at the local garage it cost me $5 each to remove a tire and $15 each to mount the new ones, plus hazmat fee etc.  Bill was close to $40.  

lynnmor

You can always jack up a car and lower the car tire down onto the tractor tire to break it loose.  I have a cheap Harbor Freight changer that works OK for these small tires.

As for using tubes, remember that you will have to remove the tube for any patching, can't just do a quick and easy plug.  In addition, water gets in at the valve stem causing rust there.  I gave up on tubes.

I have all 4 ply tires now but those suckers ride much harder than the original donuts.

The biggest problem that I had mounting the stiff 4 ply tires was getting them expanded enough to contact the wheel to begin the inflation.  I now block the tire beads far apart for weeks and then they stay wide enough for  contact.

• Like 2

Jerry77
1 hour ago, doc724 said:

BTW, try going to Walmart auto center.  They may be much lower cost than the local garage.  Last year at the local garage it cost me $5 each to remove a tire and $15 each to mount the new ones, plus hazmat fee etc.  Bill was close to $40

My local Walmart Super Center refused to mount some WH tires for me.. said they wouldn't fool with anything smaller than a 13 inch rim..Hope you have better luck with Wal than I did...:(

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

The Walmart nearest my house only employees "Dumb and Stupid " . I don't even like to buy groceries there. Empty spaces on shelves and out of date products. I only but toilet paper and stuff like that , so far they have not messed that up. The local garage  is a 3 man shop , one of the 3 being the owner. The guys are great and straight shooters, they don't look for things to fix when you drop you vehicle off. Hopefully they can help me out tomorrow. Tried one of the HF tire changers and broke the sucker on a six inch hub.

• Like 4

roadapples

Used to run "wide ovals" but haven`t heard that for years...

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

elcamino/wheel   Adjusting the carb is a patience thing.  Seat the needle gently. First turn out idle jet at least 1 turn.   Then one turn out 1 1/4 high speed jet.. Get the engine hot slowly turn in Idle jet till you hear it staring run ruff back out till you hear it running smooth. On the high speed jet you have to have it at  least 3/4  throttle = out do the same. Just take your time. It will fall into place.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 1

TDF5G

If you're considering breaking down the beads and changing the tires yourself, it can be done.  You might want to check out youtube videos of others doing it.  There are many different methods.  I've broken down beads by using a bottle jack under the rear bumper of my pickup truck.  If the rims are rusty around the bead area and the tires have been on there a long time, most likely they will be very stuck on the rim and it's not gonna be an easy task.  You'll cuss it for sure.  

I wouldn't take a wheel barrow tire in the local Wal Mart to get it aired up.  I've heard too many horror stories about the auto service dept.   I would suggest a tire shop that's been in business for a long time, perhaps a nearby town if nothing available locally.  They should be able to mount and dismount your Horse tires.

I can't help on the chain clearance issues.  I don't have any problems on my '77 B-80 or B-100, with 23x9.50 tires.

The carb adjustment can be intimidating at first especially if you've never done it before.  The instructions are in the manuals.  Just make small adjustments, one at a time.  With a little experience you will begin to understand it and be able to make the adjustment yourself.  

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@TDF5G The shop I normally use was short handed this week and did not know when they could get to my tires. So I broke down and purchased a HF tire changer price was $44.50 and with the 20% coupon  price came down to $35.50 plus tax. Not hard to put together works pretty good. You really need to secure the tire changer to a sturdy mount. The PO or somebody used fix a flat or some other mess in both tires. So they were hard to get off the rims. Cleaning the rims was a pain.The old tires were 23x10.5x12 and did not rub so I put the set that @Phatboy gave me last fall. They really look nice. I am not worried about rubbing since the under seat tank is not on the 416-8 any more. Pictures of project will follow.

I have not messed with carb , but the beast will not start with out the choke , runs fine with the choke in off , so it maybe just the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the advise.

TDF5G

That is probably money well spent on the tire changer.  I always consider tools a good investment if needed more than once.  My brother has a HF tire changer for auto/light truck tires.  He has a place where he bolts it to the floor of his garage when he uses it and then removes it to store out of the way.   Works pretty well.  

I don't like fix a flat and I've never used it.   The only time I would use would be in a dire emergency out on the road maybe!  It makes a mess to clean up and do a proper flat tire repair, like installing a patch.   I've worked on tires that had that junk in 'em.

The best way to clean the bead area of rims is with a wire wheel on an electric angle grinder.  Then repaint for a good seal.   I've done several. 

Most vehicles require some choking when cold, that is normal.  Starting a warmed up engine shouldn't require choking.  I'm no carb expert, but you may need a good cleaning and/or rebuild.  

Edited by TDF5G

elcamino/wheelhorse

Rebuilding a carb is not in my future , I have  not too may failures in past to even attempt a rebuild . I have put sea Foam in the gas and will see how it does. If it turns that it won't work correctly I will just buy another carb. I have seen carbs run off the bench when I attempt a rebuild.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
On 9/19/2016 at 7:13 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

A few considerations regarding the tire size:

1.  Tires from different manufacturers, although the same size, will have different dimensions. Kenda 23X10.50-12 Turfs are larger than Titan/Carlisle 23X10.50-12 turf tires.Two of    my 5xi are equipped with each brand. Deestone seem to run narrower in their ag tires for example.
  2. Are you changing the wheel size for the 23X10.50-12 tires? That size tire should have an 8.5" wide rim compared to the 7" rim you have. They will go on the narrower rim but there will be some "ballonning" appearance-wise.
  3. If you are pushing snow, the 23X10.50-12 tires on 10.5" wide rims will be outside the path of a 42" blade when it is on an angle using the sector adjustment. A 48" blade doesn't have that problem.
  4. Actually for driving in snow, a narrower tire digs in rather than a wider tire that tends to float on snow. It is more an issue though for a car than our tractors.. 

I just copied all of this!

"Liked" it and thought...

This kind of info is INVALUABLE to us!  Just think of each of us having to go through all of the learning curve, time and expense, to learn what you just shared for FREE!

Thank You John!