Abe01

Kohler magnum starter

Abe01

Ok so my dad has an old (non:wh:) he said his starter was making funny noises and then locked up and quit. He gave up because it was a junker but I have plans for it to clear that mesquite patch......so the starter HAS to work lol, I took it home he just chuckled and said it's broke you need a new one, I laughed and said I was raised better than to buy something before I even tried to fix it!......ok so here's the skinny, as soon as I got it off I noticed the bushing on the out put side is missing bad sign #1.  I take it home and disassemble it, on exterior inspection I find hammer marks (bad sign 2). Open it up and  find pieces of the old bushing, and fairly large chunks  of magnet(3 strikes!) it also damaged the armature coil......undaunted I pushed through and cleaned it up got all the magnets and carbon out (more than I could imagine) freed up an lubed the bendix and reassembled it. Then I bench tested it with jumper cables, there is life! Considering what the magnets/armature look like it was fairly smooth and quiet even without the bushing. My question is this.....is that bushing available? My current plan is to machine a bushing out of pvdf wich is not preferable but should get the job done.image.jpg

tunahead72
2 hours ago, Abe01 said:

... I took it home he just chuckled and said it's broke you need a new one, I laughed and said I was raised better than to buy something before I even tried to fix it!...

I don't know enough about starters to  be able to help you, but I love this part of the story.  You said this to your dad, right, one of the people who probably shared that particular life lesson with you as you were growing up? :handgestures-thumbupright:

Somebody should be along shortly to help you with your problem.

Abe01
40 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

You said this to your dad, right, one of the people who probably shared that particular life lesson with you as you were growing up? :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yeah he's at that point in his life he is tired of working on stuff. we grew up with out much money but now that he's retired and all his kids have left.....he has the money to suport that kind of attitude lol.

RubyCon1
4 hours ago, Abe01 said:

Yeah he's at that point in his life he is tired of working on stuff. we grew up with out much money but now that he's retired and all his kids have left.....he has the money to suport that kind of attitude lol.

Remember, there are 3 stages of life

youth - lots of energy and time - but no money

middle age - more money and still have energy - but no time

old age - lots of money and time - but no energy

very few escape this reality

• Like 1

Abe01

Ok so I got the new bushing machined I can get the print if you need it;). It went together just as I wanted, it was just below a press fit into the motor cap and had a tight slip fit on the armature shaft. Plastic is fun to work with especially if you forget the characteristics of the material and make three parts becaus you can't get the finish right!:ROTF: machining plastic take a little different thought process than metal, it took me three try's to realize that the walls were to thin to suport the cut :roll:.....but it's finished assembled an redneck bench tested it has tons more torque so we will see if it turns that beast over in the morning. Oh also I went over the shellac insulation with the liquid tape in the photo, it didn't fill any of the cracks but it did do what I wanted and covered the portion of damaged insulation so that  worked out!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Abe01

Well got it all installed, after taking my dad to the jeep dealership because his brandnew Cherokee hasn't started with out being jumped in the last few days.....on to the good news! The starter works like brand new, even though te motor sat for a while it muscled through the gunk makeing the cylinders sticky and got it spinning no problem! So even if it looks hopless and the magnets are missing chunks take it apart play with it clean it reassemble and hook a battery to it.....don cost anything but time!

• Like 2