DennisThornton

I had decided not to bother with this series, but...

elliot ness

Oh my, nice looking machine Dennis.:text-bravo:

• Like 1

jellyghost

Can that machine run those attachments?  I assumed that series didn't have attachments.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Well Dennis since I joined the Forum to learn you are going to have to tell me the series. Clueless in Richmond.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Its a 200 series... with those attachments I would gues a 264? Or something like that.

I know there are a couple of 200 series that could handle a decent amount, even a larger 54" deck i think.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
On 9/18/2016 at 2:34 PM, jellyghost said:

Can that machine run those attachments?  I assumed that series didn't have attachments.

Not at the same time!  :lol:  Sorry, couldn't resist...

Yes, and they did for several years.

On 9/18/2016 at 4:17 PM, bmsgaffer said:

Its a 200 series... with those attachments I would gues a 264? Or something like that.

I know there are a couple of 200 series that could handle a decent amount, even a larger 54" deck i think.

Right on my friend!  52" I've read.  It looks like a rather robust WH.  I've read it can even take a tiller, or at least one of the 26Xs and the 270 can.  No provision for a lifting hitch of any kind but I've got several of those already.  Not sure how I'll configure this, blower or mower.

On 9/18/2016 at 3:45 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Well Dennis since I joined the Forum to learn you are going to have to tell me the series. Clueless in Richmond.

2 Never thought of you as "Clueless".  

6 You are far too humble!

B)

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

I have a rear atach-a-matic (tiller/snow plow bracket) for the 200 series tractors it's quite a piece compared to the B/C/3/4/500 classic 'plow hitches,Jeff.

IMAG2404.jpg

IMAG2405.jpg

• Like 2

wh500special

I hate to split hairs, but it's NOT a 200-series.  It's a 260-series.  

200-series (there were two of them) preceded it.  So did the 240-series and 250-series.  Some similarities among them, but there were a lot more differences.  

The 260's are great machines.  No, they're not as robust as a c-160 (what is?) but they could do a lot of yard work.  

That rear hitch is unique for the 260's and was used to mount the 48" dozer or 36" tiller.  It's a Hard to find accessory.  Might have been used also on the 240's, but I'm not sure.  

They're great mowing tractors, Dennis.  It can turn circles inside a classic wheel horse's turning radius. I'd set it up as a mowing machine and save the clumsier tractors for heavy work.  

Steve 

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair
6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I thought the same thing, that they were just mowers

• Like 3

bmsgaffer
8 minutes ago, wh500special said:

200-series (there were two of them) preceded it.  So did the 240-series and 250-series.  Some similarities among them, but there were a lot more differences.  

The 260's are great machines.  No, they're not as robust as a c-160 (what is?) but they could do a lot of yard work.  

That rear hitch is unique for the 260's and was used to mount the 48" dozer or 36" tiller.  It's a Hard to find accessory.  Might have been used also on the 240's, but I'm not sure.  

They're great mowing tractors, Dennis.  It can turn circles inside a classic wheel horse's turning radius. I'd set it up as a mowing machine and save the clumsier tractors for heavy work.  

Steve 

Another reason I love this place, you learn something new all the time! I knew the 260's were beefier but I didn't realize they were a whole different series. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

DennisThornton
27 minutes ago, wh500special said:

Steve 

It was very much loved as a mower for years by the PO!

I've not even unloaded it yet to check it out more completely but since it was only a mower and a blower I assume that mount is not with it.  I've looked at other 2XX series but this is the first one I've brought home.  I think I'm going to like it!  

You're not the first to use the C-160 as a reference to "robust".  Is there something about the C-160 that sets it apart?  Surely the revered 520 and other newer and larger HP are more capable?

• Like 1

wh500special

The 520's are noticeably more powerful, but the intrinsic simplicity of the c-160's makes them pretty much the top of the "classic" format tractor heap.   There are almost no extraneous parts or features on a c160:  No indicator lamps, no molex connector to melt, no gauges to stop working, no aluminum-block-steel-valve-seat-differential expansion to flub up, so seat slider, etc.  

i think think there are only 27 parts on a c-160. 520's have at least 6.02x10^23. 

Have fun,

Avogadro

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 6

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat: Those Kohler singles are top dog for the combination of power/simplicity/reliability. They can run pretty well right up to the point they will put a hole in the block. Then put the highest horsepower flathead model on the wheel horse with the least "extras" and a nice healthy dose of handsome and that's why most people will vote the C-160 as the best overall wheel horse. I am partial to the C-165 but that has the generally hated rubber isolation mounts (with the already love-it-or-hate-it blackhood style).

• Like 4

DennisThornton
22 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I thought the same thing, that they were just mowers

Nah.  These are rather substantial.  First glance other than a vertical and no hitch they look like a newer WH GT.  Oh, except the solid all plastic hood and grille!

21 hours ago, wh500special said:

The 520's are noticeably more powerful, but the intrinsic simplicity of the c-160's makes them pretty much the top of the "classic" format tractor heap.   There are almost no extraneous parts or features on a c160:  No indicator lamps, no molex connector to melt, no gauges to stop working, no aluminum-block-steel-valve-seat-differential expansion to flub up, so seat slider, etc.  

i think think there are only 27 parts on a c-160. 520's have at least 6.02x10^23. 

Have fun,

Avogadro

the darned plastic hood and grille...

21 hours ago, wh500special said:

Have fun,

Avogadro

Yeah.  Heard the same comments.  Powerful and simple.  OK.  I understand.  Thanks!

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 1

Sparky

I bet it's a great snow blowing machine. If ya think about it snow plowing is hard on the tranny and the frame so a genuine GT is the best choice. But a tractor mounted snow-blower is much less abusive. You shouldnt be ramming snow banks with a blower so all you really need is enough HP and traction. 

So my question is....what's under the hood? Kohler Magnum or Command ( hopefully it's not a Kohler Courage) or Onan and how much HP. Any idea what hydro is used?

Mike....

• Like 4

roadapples

Mike, you`re the first one I`ve heard mention it, but I`ve always thought pushing snow is what cracks the frame were the trans. mounts.... Thoughts ?

• Like 2

wh500special

I've had two tractors with cracked frames. One was a purchase from the original owner who only used his 312-h to mow with a 42" sd and mount the generator on the front.  The tractor was flawless, except for practically being in two pieces.  

He he was a heavy guy.  Maybe 250 lbs.  

the frame joint was just a marginal to poor design. Some of them broke, others didn't.  Might have been a function of assembly or weld variations.  

Ironically, the vertical shaft tractors mentioned above all had full length frames.   And the frame on Dennis' 264 is heavier steel than you'd expect. 

Steel is cheap.  That's why we saw lots of it on tractors of all brands.  

Steve

Ps - I guess I should mention the other cracked tractor I had was a 520h/60" deck.  Don't know if it plowed snow or not, but it did have to haul around that heavy deck and engine.  

• Like 4

Sparky
7 hours ago, roadapples said:

Mike, you`re the first one I`ve heard mention it, but I`ve always thought pushing snow is what cracks the frame were the trans. mounts.... Thoughts ?

For sure a plow ramming snowbanks and dirt piles will bust the frame/tranny mount.

Mike

• Like 4

Don1977

Dennis I hope you didn't pay much for it. I have looked at some of the parts drawings. My advice is make an simple repairs and use it like you stole it. Anything major goes wrong remove any usable parts and junk it. It's not like the Classic Wheel Horses that can be restored.

• Like 1

slim67

I got one out of a guys front yard for free. I had to replace some steering parts but its a decent pull tractor and runs pretty smooth. Ive seen the same tractors badged new holland. I didnt notice the shift lever on the dash so unless its hydrostatic, it has the 820 Peerless trans. If i can find a snow blade or blower pretty reasonable, I might get it. The local Toro dealer i buy parts from once in awhile said they were pricey when new.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

My take on the "260" series is it was the precursor to the "Xi" series with foot pedal direction and cruise control, I have the the blade bracket/hitch because I bought a 48" (260 series) front blade and the fellow said he had no use for the hitch, and yes the blade will work on a "classic" 3/4/500 WH with a few minor mods, but here's the '96 sales brochure pages...Jeff

IMAG2406.jpg

IMAG2407.jpg

IMAG2408.jpg

• Like 3

DennisThornton
19 hours ago, Sparky said:

I bet it's a great snow blowing machine. If ya think about it snow plowing is hard on the tranny and the frame so a genuine GT is the best choice. But a tractor mounted snow-blower is much less abusive. You shouldnt be ramming snow banks with a blower so all you really need is enough HP and traction. 

So my question is....what's under the hood? Kohler Magnum or Command ( hopefully it's not a Kohler Courage) or Onan and how much HP. Any idea what hydro is used?

Mike....

14hp single Kohler and not the infamous "Courage".  Tuff-Torq.  Thought I knew which one but...  

PO just loved it for both snow and grass!  Kept asking me if I was going to use it myself or?  Bet there aren't too many MTD owners that give a hoot what happens to what they are selling!

17 hours ago, roadapples said:

You'll want more opinions than mine but my take it broken frame mounts to trans are from trying to bust frozen snow banks, not fresh snow!

7 hours ago, Don1977 said:

Dennis I hope you didn't pay much for it. I have looked at some of the parts drawings. My advice is make an simple repairs and use it like you stole it. Anything major goes wrong remove any usable parts and junk it. It's not like the Classic Wheel Horses that can be restored.

I didn't!  And that is a concern.  Most owners of the 260 series around here are very proud of them!  Way beyond my budget!  I guess it wasn't that long ago they paid a lot of money for them compared to a C-160.  And yes, while I have several WH Classic parts tractors I have NO other 260 series and I would NOT pay big bucks to replace some expensive part new.  Don't have to!  But if I like the 26X I WOULD buy another bargain to fix it.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
47 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

My take on the "260" series is it was the precursor to the "Xi" series with foot pedal direction and cruise control, I have the the blade bracket/hitch because I bought a 48" (260 series) front blade and the fellow said he had no use for the hitch, and yes the blade will work on a "classic" 3/4/500 WH with a few minor mods, but here's the '96 sales brochure pages...Jeff

I'm really happy about the foot pedal direction control!  Had no idea that a classic blade will work on it!  That might change my mind about my winter brigade!  I really do like being able to change directions without using my hands.  I'm not the best at it so far, but I really like it!

By the way, before folks get really excited about the 26Xs vs the XIs, the 26X hood is solid plastic!  The XIs are solid sheet metal!

WVHillbilly520H

Sorry Dennis but the blade is not exactly "classic" but I'm going to make it fit a classic it's vey close dimension wise...see the pics of what's different/missing/added vs the classic style framework/handle,Jeff.

IMAG2410.jpg

IMAG2411.jpg

IMAG2412.jpg

• Like 1

wh500special

The xi and 260's were offered side by side as different classes.  They sure do look similar.  The 260 was replaced with the 400xt series which was a vertical shaft garden tractor that accepted classic style attachments.

The blade frame is a little different between the 260's and classics, Dennis.  The 260 blade has an extension at the rear to accomodate the long wheelbase and the lift points are vastly different.  The 260 blade kind of looks like a 520H blade with extension kit, but it's different too.

Steve

Looks like we replied at the same time!

Except you had pictures!