Sign in to follow this  
jgun45879

Kohler Rebuild Kits

jgun45879

Hello,

I have a 10hp Kohler Magnum engine that I want to freshen up. I have seen some rebuild kits on e-bay and in the item description it states that the parts are from "Stens / Rotary". I was wondering if anyone has used these kits ?. How does the quality compare to genuine Kohler parts? Thanks for any help you can give me. Jim.

Nick

Jim, If it helps I found this older post on the subject -Link to post- If I think of it I'll ask Greg what SMS and Stec use. I know there is a good selection of Stens general replacement parts on the shelf. :hide:

jgun45879

Hi Nick, Looking forward to what Greg has to say on the matter. Thanks for the reply. Jim.

Nick

Greg says they stick with original Kohler parts at SMS. But over at Stech they do use some Stens parts so they must have had good luck with them there. Thought I would have a firm answer for you but looks like even among dealers there isnt a clear cut preference. :hide:

sorekiwi

I think the post Nick linked to says it all, also read Volfandt's post over at MTF.

I'll probably use one of these kits on my next motor, it seems to me that most people are not having problems.

I'd like to use genuine Kohler parts - afterall there are a lot of 20 or 30 year old motors still running on the origional parts- but once you start adding up the costs you find it'll cost you more than double what the aftermarket bits cost. On individual pieces though it is worth checking prices - Napa got me a genuine K181 gasket set fot about $3 more than their list price on an aftermarket one.

I have an early K161 with a 2 7/8 bore that needs a rebuild. That size piston is not available as an aftermarket piece, and the Kohler price is about $96 for the piston and rings alone. I'll probably go to an aftermarket K181 piston and have the cylinder bored to suit that....

Hope this helps

Butch

I bought a cheap rebuild kit off Ebay. During the install process I scored the walls while trying to install the piston into the cylinder WITHOUT a ring compressor :imstupid: and scored them pretty bad. :hide: I need to rebore the cylinder again because of the deep scoring. :hide: I haven't taken the piston out to see what happened. Maybe I broke a ring. :omg: I left the engine to do other work but did order OEM Kohler parts. There is a huge difference between the Kohler and the generic. The Kohler parts are much heavier and more solid. Kinda like comparing a silver spoon to a plastic spoon. :D

KyBlue

I think Id stick with genuine Kohler parts.. Just basing what Ive seen of the aftermarket stuff... rather have OE stuff, and it last another 20 or 30 years than spend the money and it only last 5 or 10..

illinilefttackle

:hide: Jim- I recently finished my K-301 . I used a Stens kit from Ebay-The guy was selling out of OHIO. I read an article by Brian Miller that says he has had good results with these parts, even in pulling competion-that made up my mind. My engine is running fine-I could not see any real difference in the quality of the parts-looked well built and felt like quality.Thanks -AL

qd-16

I bought one of the stens rebuild kits off ebay from the guy in ohio a few years ago. I used it in a k-181. The motor has almost 40 hours on it since rebuild and I haven't any problems at all with it. The local machine shop did the work on the engine (bored .030 out and the whole works) and I supplied the stens kit. I figured it saved me around $150 using the stens kit.

WH854

Hi. I bought one of those kits on ebay from that guy in Ohio for a K181

It;s still running, sounds good, no smoke, no knocks lots of power.

Here is the one I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ENGINE-REBUILD-KIT-for...1742.m153.l1262

It has .010 over Piston, .010 Under Rod.No oil leaks or gas leaks, changed the oil

twice since rebuild. :hide:

Chas. :D :horseplay:

gd.pudge

i have used both stens & kohler. never had any problems with stens. but i was told stens uses only chrome rings and are hard to get seated has anyone herd of this?

CasualObserver

moved to the Kohler engine area.

illinilefttackle

i have used both stens & kohler. never had any problems with stens. but i was told stens uses only chrome rings and are hard to get seated has anyone herd of this?

:hide: Good question- I've installed all kinds of rings in cars over the years-if I was just "refreshing" an engine ( no boring) I would always try to use cast iron rings to seat better, all the time tho knowing they would not last as long. BUT- if you are boring the engine-chrome is the way to go-it does take just a little longer for them to seat, but they will last a lot longer. While they are seating-you will not use oil, just a very small amount. If you are taking the time to tear her down, do it right-bore it,grind it, put it together "clean". Good Luck? -AL :D