DennisThornton

Best Wheel Horse snow machines?

Adams94
4 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I loose steering before I loose traction but I think traction is not far behind.  I only have chains on my plow tractor but I have filled tires and weight.  Going to try the roller chain trick around the center of the fronts.  I've never seen front weights in person nor had a chance to even buy any.  I'm starting to accumulate rears but still don't have an set.  Will that 54" fit all Classics?

I'm not sure what all it will fit besides the c195 and the d series except the d250. Pretty sure it will go on the 520's as well.  I have bar tires on the rear of the 195 and had rear weights on last year but I purchased a 3 point weight box this summer so hoping to avoid putting rear wheel weights on.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
16 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

I have no experience with it yet, but I am hoping the ultimate snow plowing machine will be my 522xi heavily weighted down front and rear. I think the foot control with dual speed hydro will really be the sweet spot. 

It probably wont happen this year, but I am hoping to do some work to a 48" blade and reinforce it. They are heavier than some, but I just dont feel like its sturdy enough. Especially when EVERY snow blade I have come across that has been mounted to an XI has been pretty badly tweaked. In my dreams I also want remote controlled (hydraulic or electric) wings on the plow for directing pushed snow...

It depends on the snow and how much we get. Last year I never setup my 523Dxi with the cab and snowthrower because the snow came so late in January. But when it did (36" in one storm and the county didn't plow us out for over five days) I used my Ariens walk-behind for the majority of it. The issue I had with that was after a few days the driveways I hadn't been able to access, the bottom layer started to compress and I would end up losing traction with the tires. I would have to shove it ahead - and almost gave up a few times! It got me thinking about a Honda tracked snowblower for this season! The other storms last year I only used the blade on the 518xi.

The blade on my 518xi has a UHMW edge which works really well in snow without damaging my neighbors driveways. I do have a steel edge on the C-105 blade for ice storms.The only issue with the UHMW is that because the piece is cut on a 90 degree angle, the trailing edge is what scrapes the surface. I should actually re-cut the edge to about a 45 degree angle. It is robust enough to handle what I put in front of it though. I have a feeling that the twisted 5xi blade picture that had been posted on the forum was damaged pushing dirt/rock/whatever rather than snow. Of course then there are some owners that like to plow at "ramming speed!" I agree that it would be nice to have a linear actuator for sectoring the blade but ones that are strong enough are expensive, and if the conversion breaks can I put it back to original easy enough? Not fun when it is cold and wet outside.

The biggest problem with the 5xi is traction. Like Don mentioned, raising the snowthrower/snowblower actually takes weight off the rear. Without a locking rear, the 5xi can break traction if you aren't careful. Once stuck, I can't jump off with it in gear and push it by hand like my C-105! I did put Kenda K502 tires on the 518xi last year and was pleased with the improved traction over the turfs or weighted ags that are on my other two. I still have the turfs on the front and if the plow "starts steering" I either back off or raise the blade for a second to regain steering. It takes longer to describe than actually do it. There is one spot where my driveway meets the road and the ice forms due to the drainage angle. I always forget the first time I get out to plow!

Plans are for the 523Dxi to get a set of 25x11.00-12 K 502 on the rear and Vredestein V61 18x8.50-8 tires on the front for snowthrower duty. These tire changes may require going back to standard size for mowing though. I am torn about weighting tires vs. weights hung on the rear. Weighted tires/wheel weights put stress on the hubs' locking screws and axle, where as hanging weight on the rear puts stress on the axle seals. The 523Dxi has provision for hanging two 43 pound suitcase weights and the 518xi has Scott and Tom's 2" receiver hitch with a Heavy Hitch bracket with four 43 pound suitcase weights. I don't add weight up front as I feel the Kohler Command-engined tractors are just right, and the diesel is 100 pounds heavier in front.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
14 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

It depends on the snow and how much we get. Last year I never setup my 523Dxi with the cab and snowthrower because the snow came so late in January. But when it did (36" in one storm and the county didn't plow us out for over five days) I used my Ariens walk-behind for the majority of it. The issue I had with that was after a few days the driveways I hadn't been able to access, the bottom layer started to compress and I would end up losing traction with the tires. I would have to shove it ahead - and almost gave up a few times! It got me thinking about a Honda tracked snowblower for this season! The other storms last year I only used the blade on the 518xi.

The blade on my 518xi has a UHMW edge which works really well in snow without damaging my neighbors driveways. I do have a steel edge on the C-105 blade for ice storms.The only issue with the UHMW is that because the piece is cut on a 90 degree angle, the trailing edge is what scrapes the surface. I should actually re-cut the edge to about a 45 degree angle. It is robust enough to handle what I put in front of it though. I have a feeling that the twisted 5xi blade picture that had been posted on the forum was damaged pushing dirt/rock/whatever rather than snow. Of course then there are some owners that like to plow at "ramming speed!" I agree that it would be nice to have a linear actuator for sectoring the blade but ones that are strong enough are expensive, and if the conversion breaks can I put it back to original easy enough? Not fun when it is cold and wet outside.

The biggest problem with the 5xi is traction. Like Don mentioned, raising the snowthrower/snowblower actually takes weight off the rear. Without a locking rear, the 5xi can break traction if you aren't careful. Once stuck, I can't jump off with it in gear and push it by hand like my C-105! I did put Kenda K502 tires on the 518xi last year and was pleased with the improved traction over the turfs or weighted ags that are on my other two. I still have the turfs on the front and if the plow "starts steering" I either back off or raise the blade for a second to regain steering. It takes longer to describe than actually do it. There is one spot where my driveway meets the road and the ice forms due to the drainage angle. I always forget the first time I get out to plow!

Plans are for the 523Dxi to get a set of 25x11.00-12 K 502 on the rear and Vredestein V61 18x8.50-8 tires on the front for snowthrower duty. These tire changes may require going back to standard size for mowing though. I am torn about weighting tires vs. weights hung on the rear. Weighted tires/wheel weights put stress on the hubs' locking screws and axle, where as hanging weight on the rear puts stress on the axle seals. The 523Dxi has provision for hanging two 43 pound suitcase weights and the 518xi has Scott and Tom's 2" receiver hitch with a Heavy Hitch bracket with four 43 pound suitcase weights. I don't add weight up front as I feel the Kohler Command-engined tractors are just right, and the diesel is 100 pounds heavier in front.

Like this one?

Glenn

20160327_134305.jpg

• Like 3

DennisThornton
21 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Last year I didn't use ANY blower!  Never even put the 74" on my tractor!  And it NEVER did storm!  Mild winter with VERY little snow.  Nothing like the prior winter!  I remember reading about your UHMW edge but it's not needed for my "ones and dust" drive.  I also believe that the "tweaked" XI dozer blades were bent on something other than fresh snow.

I expect I will reinstall the Toro weight box and add chains and plastic weights on the XI that gets the blower.  That blower will be all the front weight I'll need!

Thanks for the reply!

9 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Like this one?

Glenn

Glenn, I've always thought that the tracked blowers would be the ultimate but others have complained about maneuverability.  Some have said yes they have superior traction but end up climbing up the snow rather than into it.  Your experience?

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
9 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Last year I didn't use ANY blower!  Never even put the 74" on my tractor!  And it NEVER did storm!  Mild winter with VERY little snow.  Nothing like the prior winter!  I remember reading about your UHMW edge but it's not needed for my "ones and dust" drive.  I also believe that the "tweaked" XI dozer blades were bent on something other than fresh snow.

I expect I will reinstall the Toro weight box and add chains and plastic weights on the XI that gets the blower.  That blower will be all the front weight I'll need!

Thanks for the reply!

Glenn, I've always thought that the tracked blowers would be the ultimate but others have complained about maneuverability.  Some have said yes they have superior traction but end up climbing up the snow rather than into it.  Your experience?

Dennis, my experience is none. That was left to me by my brother when he passed. NOW HIS EXPERIENCE, was he loved it to the max, did everything and more it was asked to do. I tried it, it's all in how you operate it. You can get over zealous, and it will turn into a nightmare. Take your time, operate it as it should be. Further reports coming this coming winter.

Glenn

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Dennis, my experience is none. That was left to me by my brother when he passed. NOW HIS EXPERIENCE, was he loved it to the max, did everything and more it was asked to do. I tried it, it's all in how you operate it. You can get over zealous, and it will turn into a nightmare. Take your time, operate it as it should be. Further reports coming this coming winter.

Glenn

It's SO hard to consider all aspect of a problem and its solutions.  What I THINK I gathered was that long driveways were great but back and forth and twisting was not so good.  Sort of like my big NH/74" blower vs a walk behind blower.  The NH can go through 4ft of snow in nothing flat but getting up to and into and around is not so handy!  So someone with a long straight drive in the country might give a tracked blower rave reviews but others in the city might not.  Same blower, but different needs and expectations of the operator...

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The "Best"  Wheel Horse snow machine?    Best in what way?  Best at making removing snow fun?  Best at turning over the snow and moving down out of the way?

IMG_2079.JPGIMG_2077.JPGIMG_2078.JPG

I have to sat the reason I own  20 plus Wheel Horses today ( and three RJ's as of this writing) is the RJ Wheel Horse and the  42 inch snowplow that goes on this tractor!

Growing up with one we used it every winter.   Used chains on it back then on a gravel drive.

The original plow used on the RJ  had a curve on the blade that was not duplicated on the later Wheel Horse snowplows.

It curved a little more and helped turn the snow when moving.

Now I know with a 3.5 HP Clinton, Kohler or 4 HP K 91 Kohler it was not a powerful tractor as the later models with bigger motors had but it was (and still is in my case) the best little snow moving piece of equipment that gave you an edge at getting to the removal early, enjoying the task  and being warmed by the heat of that motor throwing hot air your way once in a while!

Those that have done this know.

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have no knowledge on blowing snow as down here we don't get a lot. But my uncle in PA has considered the tracked blowers and his question is " how to move the beast when the motor stops 50 yards from the house and will not start for love or money" .

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
29 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

The "Best"  Wheel Horse snow machine?    Best in what way?  Best at making removing snow fun?  Best at turning over the snow and moving down out of the way?

IMG_2079.JPGIMG_2077.JPGIMG_2078.JPG

I have to sat the reason I own  20 plus Wheel Horses today ( and three RJ's as of this writing) is the RJ Wheel Horse and the  42 inch snowplow that goes on this tractor!

Growing up with one we used it every winter.   Used chains on it back then on a gravel drive.

The original plow used on the RJ  had a curve on the blade that was not duplicated on the later Wheel Horse snowplows.

It curved a little more and helped turn the snow when moving.

Now I know with a 3.5 HP Clinton, Kohler or 4 HP K 91 Kohler it was not a powerful tractor as the later models with bigger motors had but it was (and still is in my case) the best little snow moving piece of equipment that gave you an edge at getting to the removal early, enjoying the task  and being warmed by the heat of that motor throwing hot air your way once in a while!

Those that have done this know.

That is just awesome!  Maybe not quite up to one of our snow storms up here but sure is something to look at!  And with only a 4 hp warmer!

5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I have no knowledge on blowing snow as down here we don't get a lot. But my uncle in PA has considered the tracked blowers and his question is " how to move the beast when the motor stops 50 yards from the house and will not start for love or money" .

Yeah.  Heard the same thing up here!  But at least a Honda should start and run!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The RJ  worked the 1967 Blizzard  which had over 60 inches of snow in Northwest , Indiana!

You just had to keep at it.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

That's for the second (or third) owner to contend with. :D  Actually most owners that have tracked snowblowers build a low-height cart for them so that they can be moved around off season. It could probably be used for retrieval.  

• Like 2

TDF5G

Thanks for this thread Dennis, an appropriate topic with winter approaching.   I thought I'd share my thoughts.

So for it's worth, although we don't get as much snow here in Missouri as you all do in the northeast,  I've pushed a lot of snow with my B-80, in my driveway, (about 150') with AG tires, no wheel weights, 4 link chains and 42" blade for over 25 years.  I've always been able to get the job done, but heavier, wet snow does require more time and effort.  The biggest problem that I've ever had was traction.  I always felt like it could push more snow if I had weights on the rear.   And the front steer traction is poor.  

So now, I have a new to me B-100 that I'm using for snow duty.  Just got it last year and only used it one season, but we didn't get much snow this past season.  On this tractor I'm trying the rear turfs with 4 link chains, 2 sets of rear cast wheel weights (outer and inner), and front cast wheel weights.   I hope to make up a set of 2-link chains from 2, 4-link sets that I have and give that a try too.  I do notice a great improvement in the steer traction with the front weights on the B-100 compared to the B-80, and I can tell it has more traction at the rear wheels too.  I'm hoping for a couple of big snows to try it out more actually.  Looking forward to it!  I'm considering the front steer chains that you mention, but I need some more snow and experience with this set up first.

Although I don't care for the cold weather, pushing snow is my favorite :wh: chore and I've read about every thread on RS about snow removal, dozer blades, wheel weights, chains, calcium, washer fluid, engine coolant (anti-freeze) and Rimgard (beet juice), etc.  I've see a lot of great youtube videos of Horses pushing and throwing snow too. I do not own a snow thrower, but I'd like to get one to play with.  I think I know where one is, I need to look into that I reckon.  

And also for what it's worth on heaters and defrosters, I've seen them available for golf carts in accessory catalogs.  I'm no golf cart guru, but Buggies Unlimited has these I know.

Let it snow!! :occasion-snowman:

Todd

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
8 hours ago, TDF5G said:

Thanks for this thread Dennis, an appropriate topic with winter approaching.   I thought I'd share my thoughts.

So for it's worth, although we don't get as much snow here in Missouri as you all do in the northeast,  I've pushed a lot of snow with my B-80, in my driveway, (about 150') with AG tires, no wheel weights, 4 link chains and 42" blade for over 25 years.  I've always been able to get the job done, but heavier, wet snow does require more time and effort.  The biggest problem that I've ever had was traction.  I always felt like it could push more snow if I had weights on the rear.   And the front steer traction is poor.  

So now, I have a new to me B-100 that I'm using for snow duty.  Just got it last year and only used it one season, but we didn't get much snow this past season.  On this tractor I'm trying the rear turfs with 4 link chains, 2 sets of rear cast wheel weights (outer and inner), and front cast wheel weights.   I hope to make up a set of 2-link chains from 2, 4-link sets that I have and give that a try too.  I do notice a great improvement in the steer traction with the front weights on the B-100 compared to the B-80, and I can tell it has more traction at the rear wheels too.  I'm hoping for a couple of big snows to try it out more actually.  Looking forward to it!  I'm considering the front steer chains that you mention, but I need some more snow and experience with this set up first.

Although I don't care for the cold weather, pushing snow is my favorite :wh: chore and I've read about every thread on RS about snow removal, dozer blades, wheel weights, chains, calcium, washer fluid, engine coolant (anti-freeze) and Rimgard (beet juice), etc.  I've see a lot of great youtube videos of Horses pushing and throwing snow too. I do not own a snow thrower, but I'd like to get one to play with.  I think I know where one is, I need to look into that I reckon.  

And also for what it's worth on heaters and defrosters, I've seen them available for golf carts in accessory catalogs.  I'm no golf cart guru, but Buggies Unlimited has these I know.

Let is snow!! :occasion-snowman:

Todd

I've been pretty happy with turfs and 2-link chains, even with no weights.  I'm eager to try weight all the way around and the single link chain in the center of the fronts.  Never thought about golf carts and heaters but I'll be searching now thanks to you!

Here's one that will run a golf cart battery down! http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/golf-cart/12-volt-electric-dc-golf-cart-heater-(universal-fit)/13754

• Like 1

Ken B

This is a video of me on my 520 which is now in the collection of Stevebo as his dedicated snow machine.  My choice of best Wheel Horse snow machine is a good solid low hr 520 with the direction control between your legs. This 520 had roughly 350 hrs at the time the video was taken. I could never get into any kind of a groove pushing snow on any Wheel Horse with the direction control on the column.. This was my kind of a storm, I don't get real excited about pushing snow that is less than a foot deep... I have owned MANY Wheel Horse tractors thru the yrs. not too mention other brands as well. NONE could have done what the 520 did with such ease on this day, I think the video backs up my choice...

• Like 3

Ken B

I would have to say that the C-160 hydro I had fell right into my # 2 choice behind the 520. If you haven't had a snow cab I can tell you this.. I first thought that a cab without heat would be nothing more than sitting in an ice box. Not true. Once the tractor warms up the heat off the tractor warms it up in the cab. I'm not saying it'll be like Florida weather in there but I have had to take my coat off on more than one occasion... You won't regret having a cab...

drawingbyjesse496.jpg

• Like 5

cschannuth

I had a 520 with a 48" blade. It had turf tires filled with methanol antifreeze. That thing would push any amount of snow on my concrete driveway. I had chains too but I found it pushed much better on hard surfaces without the chains. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
37 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I had a 520 with a 48" blade. It had turf tires filled with methanol antifreeze. That thing would push any amount of snow on my concrete driveway. I had chains too but I found it pushed much better on hard surfaces without the chains. 

I am shocked!  Without chains my NH TC35 is pretty close to worthless with industrial tires!  Even in 4wd!  With chains it will climb a tree!  And those tires are filled!

• Like 1

cschannuth
13 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I am shocked!  Without chains my NH TC35 is pretty close to worthless with industrial tires!  Even in 4wd!  With chains it will climb a tree!  And those tires are filled!

My big, fat butt helps too I'm sure. 

DennisThornton
15 hours ago, Ken B said:

This is a video of me on my 520 which is now in the collection of Stevebo as his dedicated snow machine.  My choice of best Wheel Horse snow machine is a good solid low hr 520 with the direction control between your legs. This 520 had roughly 350 hrs at the time the video was taken. I could never get into any kind of a groove pushing snow on any Wheel Horse with the direction control on the column.. This was my kind of a storm, I don't get real excited about pushing snow that is less than a foot deep... I have owned MANY Wheel Horse tractors thru the yrs. not too mention other brands as well. NONE could have done what the 520 did with such ease on this day, I think the video backs up my choice...

Obviously the 520 was well suited to the task and while my 8hp won't do that I have to ask myself is it it's lack of weights or HP?  And it's not just for me because I have other WHs with 20hp or more, but for others, is it the HP or the traction?  I suspicion the added weight of not only the weights but also the 20hp, but for those that don't have a 520, what can they do to improve performance?

3 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

My big, fat butt helps too I'm sure. 

Weight is crucial!  However if comes or is applied!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Obviously the 520 was well suited to the task and while my 8hp won't do that I have to ask myself is it it's lack of weights or HP?  And it's not just for me because I have other WHs with 20hp or more, but for others, is it the HP or the traction?  I suspicion the added weight of not only the weights but also the 20hp, but for those that don't have a 520, what can they do to improve performance?

Weight is crucial!  However if comes or is applied!

WARNING. This post was written by a sleep deprived engineer. Proceed at your own risk.

The answer is both. :techie-eureka:  In an ideal scenario the limiting factor is HP, but in most people's case they dont have enough traction to make HP the limiting factor.

I think the 20hp will outperform the 8hp when you get enough traction. MOST of the time the traction is the limiting factor, but when you get enough weight and enough bite, 18 extra horsepower WILL push a lot more snow. (All other factors like tire width, tread type, ground type excluded for comparison sake)

However I think there is a balance when you are talking pushing snow. I think that you could not physically weight down a 520 enough to take advantage of ALL of that horsepower without breaking something. I think it would not take a whole lot of weight (comparatively) to weight down an 8hp machine enough to stall when pushing snow. So somewhere in the middle is the balance of enough horsepower vs enough weight to be the ultimate pushing machine. 

I don't know if that's clear, let me try an example:

Case 1: I take my 854, and put 220lbs (front and rear wheel weights), plus 175 of me, 400 of tractor = 795lb GVW, I would consider that tractor to be pushing the limits of what it can handle safely and reliably. Add chains and I will bet I can stall it in second gear pushing 8" of wet snow on my first straight pass out the drive. 

Case 2: I take my 522xi and put 500lbs of weight on it (front, rear wheel weights, loaded tires, + suitcase weights) plus 175 of me, 1050 of tractor = 1,725lb GVW, I would consider that also pushing the safe, reliable limits. I would bet that it would dig a hole in my concrete driveway while pushing 18" of wet snow before it stalled.

Case 3: I take my old C-145 and put 120lbs on it to give it the same GVW as the 854. Add chains and I know it would be able to push the same 8" of wet snow in second gear that stalled the 854, making the horsepower no longer be the limiting factor, while not having to rack up 500lbs of weights every season that would be on the 522 tank. 

So all that to say that horsepower will make a difference on a properly equipped tractor but I think there is probably a balance to be found between enough horsepower vs not putting a stupid amount of weight on to use the horsepower. I would guess that with a reasonable amount of weights that you would see 12-14HP as the most you would reasonably need to push snow around, but it all depends on how well your tractor is equipped.

Note: This ONLY applies to pushing snow. If you are talking snowblowers more HP is more better, every time:D

Edited by bmsgaffer
revised a third scenario
  • Like 2

Ken B

One very important thing not mentioned when pushing snow, especially if you are pushing LOTS of it is that you need some SPEED and or MOMENTUM. In my 520 video I don't think it was the fact that it had a 20 hp Onan on it that allowed it to push so much snow. I'm sure it helped some but the one thing that stands out the most is the speed I was going. If I was a gentle Ginger I would have had a very hard time pushing that much snow..

Here is another video to prove my point... Notice how far I back up into the street to get a good head of steam and how easily the tires first spin each time I do that. No weights, no chains, just a lot of speed and momentum. This was pretty wet heavy snow..

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 3

bmsgaffer

Yep, speed and momentum can be used to increase your "apparent weight" to the snow you are plowing to overcome for a lack of traction. 

TDF5G
15 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

is it the HP or the traction?

With my B-80, I always thought it was more traction than anything.  Anytime I can't push any more snow or push it any farther, I spin out.  

But I'm sure HP plays it's part also.

5 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

Yep, speed and momentum can be used to increase your "apparent weight" to the snow you are plowing to overcome for a lack of traction. 

Yes, been there done that.  I've pushed a lot of snow with my B-80, and the deeper and heavier the snow, the more speed and effort is required to move it.

cschannuth

I always thought a B-80, a C-81, or something along those lines would be the ultimate snow pusher.  The relatively light engine would put more weight bias to the rear.  Both have plenty of horse power if you can get enough weight for traction.  I also think the WH blade set up is one of the best I've seen.  With the blade down in the pushing position the weight of the blade on the tractor is on the rear axle which also helps traction.  Everything else out there almost seems toy-like in comparison no matter how heavy duty it is.  My neighbor has a blade on his JD garden tractor and I almost always end up finishing his driveway for him because he can't touch what the 520 can push.  He appreciates it but down deep I know it drives him crazy.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Obviously when my little C-85 spins it's got HP just no more traction.  I lust for more HP like most but through the years I've decided that most of the HP of the larger HP machines just goes unused other than to burn more gas, unless those extra HP are being used for blowing snow or maybe some for tilling.  In most cases I just don't think the extra HP can be transferred through the tires.  Extra HP to me is a feature that seldom has a benefit.  I'm sure some "pullers" will say otherwise but I don't seem to be able to.

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 3