DennisThornton

Best Wheel Horse snow machines?

DennisThornton

As that season with the white fluffy nears my mind drifts back to the years when the kids and I shoveled our long driveway and while it does bring back fond memories of great teamwork it also brings back memories of a great amount work that would REALLY suck today!  (No more little helpers!)  Fortunately since then the little shovels pushed by myself and my young fellas have evolved up to a 35hp 4wd tractor with a 74" 2 stage blower!  And since then the addition of several walk behinds and garden tractor driven snowblowers and blades.  I've recently decided that a dozer blade is required no matter how many snowblowers there are!  And I hate changing attachments and even though WH has taken a lot of the grief out of it I'm still not going to do it and putting cabs on and off is certainly going to become a thing of my past just like the snow shovels!  My goal is to have a tractor for each attachment and at the current rate I'm going to get there before I die and without breaking the bank.  So with even more Wheel Horses added to the collection and I'm now thinking that I will dedicate one WH as the master snowblower with cab and another to the master snow pusher with cab.  

Oh the big 35hp 74" will go through ANYTHING but it is also BIG and awkward to maneuver up close and NOT something you want to bump the house or back into cars with!  Out in the open it is awesome but I have lots of building, paths and walkways that it is overkill for.  And it constant tempts me to just carefully edge up close to something!  You should see the neat decoration it made from a piece 8ft 1/2" rebar!  And while I've been fortunate and now I've got the big storms covered, I should also be prepared in case it was to be out of commission and have a backup machine, slower for sure but still quite capable.

So from experience, wishes or reading, what tractor and what snowblower would make the ultimate Wheel Horse combo snowblower?  And which combo would make the ultimate pusher.  If you could have any Wheel Horse combo you desired to tackle snow what would it be?  And feel free to elaborate!  I'm sure there are many that are quite experienced BUT I'm also sure there are many new members that could benefit from thoughts on not only which tractor, auto or geared, which blower, single or two staged, but also tires, chains, weights, cabs, cab heaters, wipers, lights and...

I certainly have my own thoughts but before I combine tractor, attachment and cab and later wish I had done it differently, I would really like to hear what have YOU done or what would YOU do now if you had your wishes?

Thanks guys for your thoughts and experiences!

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hi Dennis, I liked my 520 and my single stage. But to me the single doesn't have the balls when the snow is wet and heavy. My ultimate dream setup is my 522xi with a 2 stage. And that cheap cab to keep dry, it's all that's offered. The ol vinyl cab. But, better than nothing, which is what I have, nothing.

Now, the 520 with a 2 stage and cab would be sweet to, it sure has the ass for the job. In my opinion.. oh, I never had a problem with my 416 8 speed, can't argue with gears, But I prefer the hydro, and the hydro lift.

That's just my thoughts to me on the subject. Will be interesting to see what the others say. Good topic, as winter approaches.

Glenn

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Craig, the image wont open.

Glenn

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Thanks Glenn!  I do think it could be a great topic if the guys who know chime in!  I certainly expect my 522XI will be mated with my recently acquired XI 2 stage blower.  That's pretty much a given since I too think that combo would be amongst the top choices.  That still leaves me with another XI for a 48" deck, but then I'm out of XIs!  Perhaps all problems could be solved with yet more XIs, and who knows, maybe another will come by!  I ABSOLUTELY love my little C-85 and 48" dozer blade for light snows and cleanup after a blower but I've never used it with a cab and if I dedicate it to winter only use I will just have to have another blade combo for summer use!  I also have little experience with my 416 hydro and no experience using a hydro in a cab.  Working in the cab is different and quite frankly sucks in the summer and pretty much even in the winter when backing up!  Even though I hate to tie up my nicest machine unless I come up with some quick way to change and store a cab anything now that gets one is going to keep it's cab and therefore be seasonal only.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

• Like 1

slammer302

I'm going to be using a C-160 8speed with cab and wheel weights and chains and a 42" blade wish it was a 48" this will be my first year using this setup but from what I've read in posts you can't go wrong with a C-160. My original plan was to use a 417-8 with electric lift but my cab was for a C-seires and when I saw the C-160 it was clear what to do. I'm still working on heat and lighting for the cab so hope someone will chime in.

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
3 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

I'm going to be using a C-160 8speed with cab and wheel weights and chains and a 42" blade wish it was a 48" this will be my first year using this setup but from what I've read in posts you can't go wrong with a C-160. My original plan was to use a 417-8 with electric lift but my cab was for a C-seires and when I saw the C-160 it was clear what to do. I'm still working on heat and lighting for the cab so hope someone will chime in.

Slammer, I don't know of anyone with lighting in the cab. But heck, I don't even have a cab. Regarding heat, I think some engine heat finds its way into the cab, considering how the cab drapes over the hood and down the sides of the hood near the rear of the engine. That is just my thoughts from reading, and dreaming, over the years. You see me in the pics, a cold, damp, wet dog, shivering and shaking. With no cab. Lol

Glenn

• Like 3

slammer302

I've been thinking using sum flexible tubing to vent engine heat into the cab. But I've wondered if I'm missing something because I would think everyone would be doing this and I have only see a few doing it. I meant mounting outside lights to the top of the cab but now that I think of it might be nice to have one inside. Lol

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
2 minutes ago, c-series don said:

Ok here I go. I'm in the snow plowing business and have an F-350 diesel with an 8' plow so when I get done with my route and finally get to my driveway I park out in the road and walk in. Nieghbors must think I'm crazy. But then depending the depth I bust out the 417-A with 2-stage blower, cab glass front with wiper,lights,and heat. If not too deep it's the C-165 with 48" blade. To scrape up ice off the blacktop it's the GT-1800 with 50" mid-mount grader blade. Then I clean up with the C-141 8 Speed with cab and Sweepster 48" broom. If stacking snow it's the C-141 with FEL. I'm with Dennis, I can't imagine changing all these attachments which explains why we need all these tractors. Wait I think I my need some counseling, is this rediculous? 

How does the 417 handle the 2 Stage? And regarding heat,,,,,How? Just curious and asking.

Glenn

• Like 2

c-series don

The 417 handles it with no problem, I think it likes it! 

Heat I stole off the cooling fin shrouds. There is holes in the top of them and I ran 1/2" rubber hose into the cab. It's not a lot but it helps (I think!) 

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

I have no experience with it yet, but I am hoping the ultimate snow plowing machine will be my 522xi heavily weighted down front and rear. I think the foot control with dual speed hydro will really be the sweet spot. 

It probably wont happen this year, but I am hoping to do some work to a 48" blade and reinforce it. They are heavier than some, but I just dont feel like its sturdy enough. Especially when EVERY snow blade I have come across that has been mounted to an XI has been pretty badly tweaked. In my dreams I also want remote controlled (hydraulic or electric) wings on the plow for directing pushed snow...

For maneuverability I am finishing the rebuild of an 8 speed with the limited slip differential to go into one of my 854's and I am thinking that will push pretty sweet with a 42" blade. That my not be this year either...

• Like 2

Adams94

I plow with a c-195 with the 54" front blade. It is a snow pushing beast!

• Like 3

Upper Canada

I have 314-8 set up with a plow and a 315-8 with snowblower and Original brand snow cab.  As for heat my late 1970's one piece snowmobile suit keeps me warm.  I have only owned wheel horses for a year now and i am ready for this years winter.  I got the 315 with snowblower and cab just over mid season last year and did not get to put it to much use.  I have also added a back blade with a winch to the 314.  BRING IT ON OLD MAN WINTER!

Edited by Upper Canada
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
On 9/17/2016 at 8:26 PM, AMC RULES said:

I'm thinking...     :handgestures-thumbsup:

something that combines the three of these into one would be the perfect :wh: snow machine.  

Love that tombstone!  Craig, you're not worried that snowblade won't overwork that 175?  B)  However, on second glance, I do like the extender on the top!  You plowing in top gear?  Guess that 175 could!  And I can't tell what's under the cab.  I'd really like to get some fine tuned opinions from cab users.  I certainly liked my cab but the controls and backing up was more cumbersome on a geared and all manual machine. I'd see a hydro lift with forward/backward pedal motion a big plus.

Thanks for the pics!

On 9/17/2016 at 9:31 PM, slammer302 said:

I've found my little 8hp and 48" more than enough for snow.  For me, heavier snows become more of a steering issue than power or rear traction.  I am glad for my 48" but I think larger just amplifies the steering issue.  I have read of roller chain on the fronts and do intend to try that.  I bought a HF12v defroster.  Don't expect much heat but perhaps some help defrosting.  I've mounted LEDs on the top of the cab but haven't tried them yet.

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 2

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, c-series don said:

Ok here I go. I'm in the snow plowing business and have an F-350 diesel with an 8' plow so when I get done with my route and finally get to my driveway I park out in the road and walk in. Nieghbors must think I'm crazy. But then depending the depth I bust out the 417-A with 2-stage blower, cab glass front with wiper,lights,and heat. If not too deep it's the C-165 with 48" blade. To scrape up ice off the blacktop it's the GT-1800 with 50" mid-mount grader blade. Then I clean up with the C-141 8 Speed with cab and Sweepster 48" broom. If stacking snow it's the C-141 with FEL. I'm with Dennis, I can't imagine changing all these attachments which explains why we need all these tractors. Wait I think I my need some counseling, is this rediculous? 

Oh man!  You are right on the money!  Are we talking right down my alley now!  I love the blade for light snow falls!  I used both the front and sometimes a rear blade for scraping but I've been looking for a mid-mount for years!  I have a 2 wheel BCS with a sweeper that I've never got hooked up!  I would LOVE to have that for final cleanup especially on sunny days where it just might melt off completely!  If you can sun "burn" off everything then all the ice disappears and the driveway starts fresh!  I broke an ankle on driveway ice so I'm quite aware of the risk!

I trust the 417 2 stage is more than enough for most snowfalls?  You must share more about heat for the cab!  I'm not saying that heat is an absolute must, just being out of the snow blowing around is a huge plus, but to have heat as well?  Oh my!

3 hours ago, c-series don said:

The 417 handles it with no problem, I think it likes it! 

Heat I stole off the cooling fin shrouds. There is holes in the top of them and I ran 1/2" rubber hose into the cab. It's not a lot but it helps (I think!) 

1/2" hose ductwork?  I would have never thought!

2 hours ago, Travis A said:

I'm sure the C-195 is quite capable but what about steering?  My 48" can redirect me sometimes!

2 hours ago, Upper Canada said:

I have 314-8 set up with a plow and a 315-8 with snowblower and Original brand snow cab.  As for heat my late 1970's one piece snowmobile suit keeps me warm.  I have only owned wheel horses for a year now and i am ready for this years winter.  I got the 315 with snowblower and cab just over mid season last year and did not get to put it to much use.  I have also added a back blade with a winch to the 314.  BRING IT ON OLD MAN WINTER!

I had another tractor with blower, cab and a rear blade with manual lift and while handy it got cumbersome.  Seems like the winch might be handy.  Care to share pics sometime?

4 hours ago, slammer302 said:

I've been thinking using sum flexible tubing to vent engine heat into the cab. But I've wondered if I'm missing something because I would think everyone would be doing this and I have only see a few doing it. I meant mounting outside lights to the top of the cab but now that I think of it might be nice to have one inside. Lol

Maybe some dryer venting?  The flexible metal foil stuff.  I'm more concerned about defrosting the windshield than actual heat for me.  As long as the blowing snow doesn't hit me in the face and freeze solid the rest of me can survive the duration.  I'm mostly annoyed at my beard freezing over!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I want to throw this in the mix for fellas with the xi machines, but will apply to everyone using a 2 stage.  Rear weight / ballast. What do you guys do. The 2 stage has some serious weight to it. About 350 lbs. Plus / minus. So, we don't want the tractor lite in the rear. We don't want all the weight, for problems steering and such, just on the front end. My wheel weights are 70 lbs each. But I will need more weight on the rear. What do most do to solve That? I would like to do the square tube hitch, then throw maybe 4 or 5 ,, 50 pound plates on it to counter balance the 2 stage.  Just my thoughts to me. At least the 522xi has the power steering to. Just thinking out loud here.

I don't even know if the vendors here are still making the xi rear hitch. Haven't heard about them in a real long time.  Anyway, just more to kick around. Be looking forward to comments on this to.

Glenn

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

I have no experience with it yet, but I am hoping the ultimate snow plowing machine will be my 522xi heavily weighted down front and rear. I think the foot control with dual speed hydro will really be the sweet spot. 

It probably wont happen this year, but I am hoping to do some work to a 48" blade and reinforce it. They are heavier than some, but I just dont feel like its sturdy enough. Especially when EVERY snow blade I have come across that has been mounted to an XI has been pretty badly tweaked. In my dreams I also want remote controlled (hydraulic or electric) wings on the plow for directing pushed snow...

For maneuverability I am finishing the rebuild of an 8 speed with the limited slip differential to go into one of my 854's and I am thinking that will push pretty sweet with a 42" blade. That my not be this year either...

Wow!  I'd sure like to see all that!  I have seen a XI blade "pretty badly tweaked".  I'm concerned about wider blades though because of loss of front steering.

I've been following some threads about the limited slip rear though I will say that good chains sure make a difference and I've got some wheel weights now that should help as well.

8 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I want to throw this in the mix for fellas with the xi machines, but will apply to everyone using a 2 stage.  Rear weight / ballast. What do you guys do. The 2 stage has some serious weight to it. About 350 lbs. Plus / minus. So, we don't want the tractor lite in the rear. We don't want all the weight, for problems steering and such, just on the front end. My wheel weights are 70 lbs each. But I will need more weight on the rear. What do most do to solve That? I would like to do the square tube hitch, then throw maybe 4 or 5 ,, 50 pound plates on it to counter balance the 2 stage.  Just my thoughts to me. At least the 522xi has the power steering to. Just thinking out loud here.

I don't even know if the vendors here are still making the xi rear hitch. Haven't heard about them in a real long time.  Anyway, just more to kick around. Be looking forward to comments on this to.

Glenn

My 522XI came with a weight box. brackets and the rear hitch, but no blower!  Obviously it had a blower but just not when I got it...

• Like 1

Ironhorse1077

You can't beat BEET juice for more ballast - nearly 11lbs./gallon, biodegradable (not harmful to pets either), inexpensive and won't corrode rims or even freeze until -35F.  Adds nearly 70 lbs to a 23x10.5x12 tire.  AKA "Rimguard".

• Like 3

elliot ness
10 hours ago, Travis A said:

I also love my C195 for plowing snow, it seem unstoppable, I have about 90lbs in each rear wheel and a 48in blade.  no chains or bar tires.

• Like 2

doc724

Glenn, I bought a hitch for my xi from Tom Ruprecht this past spring.  I only have a single stage blower, but I learned the hard way that if you are on the lawn, on a hill, facing down (or even going parallel to the face of the hill) and you raise the blower you are going to get stuck.  So now I use chains, 50# weights per rear wheel, and multiple 40 # suitcase weights mounted to a Heavy Hitch which is attached to Tom's hitch.  Exactly the same set-up I use when I have the FEL mounted.  Have not had a problem since.  When the snow is under a foot, I use my 416H and move the Heavy Hitch and suitcase weights to that machine.  No chains on the 416H, they do not fit without doing some serious damage

• Like 2

Adams94
8 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm sure the C-195 is quite capable but what about steering?  My 48" can redirect me sometimes!

Steering actually wasn't much of an issue and this summer I added front wheel weights and I hope to add tri ribs to the front to replace the turf tires.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
10 minutes ago, Travis A said:

Steering actually wasn't much of an issue and this summer I added front wheel weights and I hope to add tri ribs to the front to replace the turf tires.

I loose steering before I loose traction but I think traction is not far behind.  I only have chains on my plow tractor but I have filled tires and weight.  Going to try the roller chain trick around the center of the fronts.  I've never seen front weights in person nor had a chance to even buy any.  I'm starting to accumulate rears but still don't have an set.  Will that 54" fit all Classics?

• Like 1

cdr_warsstar

In past years, I've just had a 312-8 with a 48" blade. Over the years I've added rear chains and weights, and it did pretty good. This year I've got a single stage snow blower for it, and I'd like to get either the Raider 10 or the newly acquired 73 12HP Auto outfitted with a blade.

It would be nice to have a tractor for each attachment.... But I don't think I have enough space to store them.....

Yet.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
11 minutes ago, cdr_warsstar said:

In past years, I've just had a 312-8 with a 48" blade. Over the years I've added rear chains and weights, and it did pretty good. This year I've got a single stage snow blower for it, and I'd like to get either the Raider 10 or the newly acquired 73 12HP Auto outfitted with a blade.

It would be nice to have a tractor for each attachment.... But I don't think I have enough space to store them.....

Yet.

I would not be the least bit happy if I had to choose between a blower or blade!  Blower if I had to but I don't.  I'd do whatever I had to do to have both.  The blower really needs a cab but I could live without a cab on the blade machine, well I have so far but I do have another cab waiting.  Light snows disappear very quickly with the blade and with no snow shooting out of the blower I can see, not worry to much about where the wind is blowing, don't come back in with a frozen frosted face and I can move snow piles if not refrozen.  Of course with only the blade you have to start off the season pushing the snow out further to have room for the snow to come and you can get very crowded very quickly with heavy snowfalls!  Up to 6" of light fluffy, I just push the snow.  Over that I'm eyeballing some blower.  I might even still push the snow to the edges and then blow just the accumulations back into the lawn.  Just don't let it melt a bit and refreeze!

• Like 3