russellmc301

leveling a warp in engine block head.

russellmc301

in my k-91 the block head is warped and i need to find a way to make it level. any ideas on how to do it.

i have some ideas but want to hear the best from the pros, also i was told since i have already compressed my new head gasket i would need to get get new one.

953 nut

A piece of adhesive backed sand paper applied to a pain of glass will give you a smooth surface to flatten the head.                         :twocents-02cents:        I would get a new gasket.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

rmaynard

How much is it warped? 0.003" is an acceptable "out of flat" spec. I have used the above mentioned method of flattening, and it does work well as long as the head is not too warped. A new gasket is always advisable.

• Like 1

jellyghost

I wish my tractor had a warp engine.

• Like 1

russellmc301

my warp is about 1 piece of computer paper tickness.

i don't have my meauring thing with me so i don't know the .00000

the part thats warp is the part that is part of the block, when ran smoke comes out of the warped spot.

953 nut
3 hours ago, russellmc301 said:

part that is part of the block,

Do you know that the block is warped, or is that just where the carbon deposit is seen? I doubt that the cast iron block would warp and the aluminum head be all right. Are you sure that the head bolts were properly torqued in the correct sequence?

russellmc301
58 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Do you know that the block is warped

Yep i got 265 for my torque wench  and they all are all at the most 15 over. are they subpose to be at diffent touques? i know from a straight edge.

the smoke is blowing out on the block side so i thought i leveled it and it still blows smoke. all carbon i removed and ever since i ran it the first time it has been smoking. the thing is its a smooth runing engine and sounds great so i mean does the leak effect it that much and will it get worse over time without repair?

IMG_1974.JPG

heres a before and now all the carbon is off,the head i can see the rings on it and read the numbers. i got some bronze that was level and sanded it down.so now the head looks clean and carban free.

i used steel wool to clean everything up with lauquer thinner then tried to level it.

Shynon

I use a granite piece of floor tile and a piece of sandpaper held on with a couple of spring clamps. I always flatten  the head when I rebuild a motor.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

As mentioned earlier, it's hard to beat a piece of plate glass with sandpaper placed on an already pretty flat surface.  Thicker the glass the better!

• Like 1

RubyCon1

this worked for me

Thanks SOI  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by RubyCon1
  • Like 3

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat: I also used Chuck's method above to finish the head that was warped on one of my tractors. It works just fine. Be sure to check it often with a feeler gauge and don't take off any more of the head surface than you need to make it flat.        :thumbs2:

russellmc301

i contacted a local milling shop and they said 30 for block head leveling and 30 for the head i'll try that method and see if it helps.

DennisThornton

Can be done by hand but you must be careful to hold it flat with extra attention not to rock it as you change directions.  Take your time and be definite with your actions it will WILL come out well!

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

As you lap it , give it 4 or 5 strokes then turn it 90 degs  lap it 4 or 5 strokes and turn it 90 degs . Keep doing this as you lap it and this will stop any uneven removal of metal.  I lap mine on the table saw top.    Wayne

• Like 2

russellmc301

i got the head head part leveled perfect and i got the block part leveled to .0002 in at the largest warp. i'm geting some copper spray gasket tommarow, everyone i've talked to sayes to use the spray copper and it will help,  i didn't take the valves out i sanded around them and my straight edge shows it is level, i have many nice table saw tops but i would rather not use them do to i don't want to get yelled at for using them:ph34r: