Abe01

Itchy weed eater

Abe01

So I have a sthil weed eater I love it starts every time and I can even put a blade on it and cut brush, blade is a chain saw type tooth and it zips right through 1.5 inch saplings...... But I have left it out in the sun a few to many times, now the fiberglass is deteriorating and is making my arm break out in a rash and feel like it's on fire. I tried wrapping a bandana around my arm.....nothing, no help. So now the plan is to hit it with some scotch bright (green scrubby) and soapy water, allow it to dry ......them spray paint it with in an inch of it's life. Open to any suggestions. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Digger 66

That's fiberglass ?

WOW !     Who-da-thunkit ! 

Just a thought CLICKY

Edited by Digger 66

slammer302

I have the same problem with the one I use at work. 

• Like 1

857 horse

just a shot in the dark........can yeah buy new covers???

One of these days,,,im gonna hit somthing.!!!!!     

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 1

r356c

1)  :text-yeahthat:   ebay seems to have a few used stihl trimmer housings.

2) I have a fiberglass ladder that is getting 'hairy'. This would be my approach:

Wipe with lacquer thinner to remove oil.

Spray paint to stabilise loose glass fibers.

Sand with fine wet dry sandpaper to remove protruding fibers.

Spray paint again to cover the fibers. Maybe an additional sand/spray for good measure.

WNYPCRepair

A thin coat of clear epoxy should glue it right back down.

roadapples

Duct tape   :ROTF:     :ychain:     :text-imsorry:  couldn`t resist....

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

After sanding it down and applying primer you may want to consider using a high heat paint like the ones that are sold at auto supply places. The color selection is limited but the high temp paint may hold up better than other paint. 

N3PUY
9 hours ago, r356c said:

Wipe with lacquer thinner to remove oil.

Spray paint to stabilise loose glass fibers.

Sand with fine wet dry sandpaper to remove protruding fibers.

Spray paint again to cover the fibers. Maybe an additional sand/spray for good measure.

Just a bit of info ..... DO NOT wipe exposed fiberglass with lacquer thinner or solvents.

The reason is that the liquid wicks down into the fibers and does not evaporate.

Thus the solvent gets sealed in by the paint.

Now when the item sets out in the sun the solvents heat-up and try to escape thru the paint.

This leaves small blisters all thru the paint.  

This doesn't happen if the gellcoat hasn't been sanded thru.

This happens alot on fiberglass cars (Corvette) when refinished by a home mechanic.

And there's no remedy once it has been done!

• Like 1

r356c

Wondering, what is the best way to clean a UV damaged, exposed fiberglass surface covered in a film of 2-stroke oil. :)

Abe01
9 hours ago, r356c said:

Wondering, what is the best way to clean a UV damaged, exposed fiberglass surface covered in a film of 2-stroke oil. :)

well I just used a scrub pad and dawn dish soap then I let it die in the sun for a few hours. I figured the dish soap would bresk up the oil and wouldn't absorb into the fiberglass......rinsed really well.

Abe01

So here is what I did, I grabbed a can of spray paint from a previous project wich came out awsome! The paint I used was rostoleum hammered copper I had other paints but this paint has primer included and goes on fairly thick. It did cover very well however I forgot how long it takes to harden off. I painted it last night and this morning I put it on the hood of my truck to help cure it, even at 90+ and direct Texas sunlight for 12 hours and it's still fairly soft ( leave a light finger print with firm preasure) also not that it matters for this project the finish came out very Un even. I have used this product a few times before on different materials and never had this problem to this extent. Thought it might be worth mentioning that prep and base material can heavily effect the fish of this paint. Here is the fished product don't mind the mess I was working on that mower got frustrated and decided to put this back together lol......seqouia says hullo, he's going to be in most of my pics lol.

20160917_185735.jpg

....sorry can't figure oUT how to post them in the correct orientation.

r356c

Now, that is one sharp looking trimmer housing.

Seqouia's dog tongue length thermometer looks to be in the 90's. :lol:  It is a dry heat in Texas, right?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:hilarious:

Seqouia's dog tongue length thermometer looks to be in the 90's. :lol:  It is a dry heat in Texas, right?

20160917_185735.thumb.jpg.2a7e12e528181af9f8946ebc4b1e829f.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2