Johnny Canuck

Most Collectible

Johnny Canuck

Hi all,

The more I explore this site the more I appreciate Wheel Horse tractors. I am going to throw out a general question out there. It is clear that there are a lot of fans for every single different Wheel Horse tractor ever made and each person has their own individual reasons. My question is whether some Wheel Horse are considered more collectible than others for whatever reason such as age, rarity, looks, mechanics or sheer cool factor. Any thoughts?

• Like 5

rjg854

Last of the round hoods

The 854 seems to be popular

20160905_132647.jpg

• Like 9

elcamino/wheelhorse

My :twocents-02cents: . I think the most collectible depends on the person. I don't call mine a collection by I like the C series and the 300 and 400 series. But my favorite is my Dad's 1972 Commando 800. The Commando is roller and has been for a number of years . One of the things on my to do list. 

• Like 4

slammer302

Most collectors i know i have at least one suburban or RJ and lawn ranger.

• Like 3

CasualObserver

An older topic with the same question... you'll see answers from older collectors who might not be around RS much anymore. 

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

Jason , thanks for the link it had some great pictures and information. Does that place still exist ? I saw picture of horses that I never knew existed. Again thanks

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Don't forget the 520-8. IT'S rare and hard to find with production at 225 units.

But I found one, lol.

Glenn

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher

Some of you know that I have become a Tecky lover why ? Maybe because of the challenge to get them to run right. Last year I  found a model that took me years to find  And wouldn't you know I recently found one in N.H. that I am working on It is by Laconia. OOPS JUST LOOKED IT`S GONE. The Model is a 607. Just my :twocents-02cents: But they are all the best and we can not live with out them.:) 

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 2

WheelHorse79

I'm partial to the 1045, 1046, 520-8, 420-LSE, etc.  Just about any rare, low production Wheel Horse models.  I also have an 854 and C-101 that I would never part with.  The term collectible is defined by the "Collector".  :)

Edited by WheelHorse79
  • Like 3

953 nut

It will probably come as no surprise that I feel the 953/1054 is the best. They, along with the GT-14, have the "big tractor look" and are quite comfortable to mount and ride. 

• Like 5

elliot ness

For me it's the C-195 , over the years I have had 7 of them, only have one left and I don't see it leaving till I do. Maybe not the rarest. but still not everyday you see one. I think they only made like 500 + of these.

• Like 4

T-Mo
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It will probably come as no surprise that I feel the 953/1054 is the best. They, along with the GT-14, have the "big tractor look" and are quite comfortable to mount and ride. 

I also like those models, i.e. 953 and 1054.  And I wouldn't mind having a D-series.  And of course, a 753.  The GT-14 are nice tractors, I agree on that also.

• Like 5

AlwaysLookin80

A senior, RJ 25s, RJ 35s, RJ 58s and suburbans. 

• Like 4

CasualObserver
10 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Does that place still exist ? I saw picture of horses that I never knew existed.

What are you referring to.... Roy Stewardson's collection in the last link?  And which horses are you referring to? Just curious what might not be as widely known.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I like the 854, just unusual enough to make it fun (only round hood w/ 8hp and thus had a 1" longer hood) but not too rare to make it expensive or really hard to find parts for. I have two!

I think the 754 is one of the more rare (rumor has it around 300 units, but noone knows for sure). It was a short production run when Wheel Horse was having supply chain issues with the 8hp, so they threw on a 7hp but left the extended hood. And then like everyone else has mentioned, 520-8, 420LSE, RJ25, RJ35, Senior, C-195, etc, etc. 

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@CasualObserver  I was referring to Roy's Collection , it looks like a museum . As far as the horses I just liked looking at all the photos on Roy's web site. I did not realize all the different models that were produced over years by Wheel Horse until I attended the The Big Show this year. I carried a camera with me , but I was so excited by tractors and great folks that I never thought about taking a picture. 

• Like 2

WHX??
4 hours ago, J.A. said:

A senior, RJ 25s, RJ 35s, RJ 58s and suburbans. 

Ditto JA ...but then they are all collectible loveable......long frames, short frames...  even the verticals & RER's  have a special niche

Yes Jason thanks for digging that one out of the basement ..... and I quote "Of course as a newb, this by far is the best thread going here on the forum".... Craig's @AMC RULES a newbie??? :ychain:

Quick somebody dig out a pic of the airplane mover that was at the BS this year.... I never got a decent one!

Edited by WHX7
Spell
  • Like 2

ACman

@Johnny Canuck ,  As some have pointed out , there's many :wh:horses that are rare , be it production #'s or age .  :twocents-02cents: As these tractor age not being produced anymore as well as new parts availability drying up , more and more tractors are being parted out . That means all models are becoming less in numbers and collectible . It's all in what you like :) ! Go through the photo archive and find what you like best . Seeing that your on west coast (and Canada) any :wh: WHEEL HORSE is going to be rare .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4

k2wilson
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You said it!  Totally agree!

• Like 3

Dan Hankins

I'm really loving my sk486, but the only other horse I have is a 500 special.

• Like 1

Aldon

There are lots of things that should you choose to collect will gain value more productively and give you a better return on the investment that garden tractors. 

These things are are very much viewed through the eye of the beholder.

I still have the C161 Twin Briggs with fiberglass hood that in my initial enthusiasm and following a similar train of thought as the OP decided I would acquire as my get my feet wet tractor. Predominantly due to all the discussions on its rarity. I made a jump to the conclusion that if it was rare it would gain in value and be sought after. WRONG 😀

But I did learn a lot. And I still like the look of the fiberglass black hoods better than any other style.

My personal journey lead me to the pragmatic approach to hit a few shows and visit to forum members and choose something that clicked for me.

I too like bigger models. Even bought a C195 which was nice but I ran across the GT14's. Pretty much sealed the deal on this being my preferred model when I first drive one. 

I have since driven several of the newer ones like 520H with gear reduction and 522xi with power steering. 

If if aliens from space came one night and removed every GT14 from the earth, I would probably look for a low hour 522xi for the power steering. If it was not for working but for looking at and occasionally riding it around I would spring for a senior as they are just flat nostalgic and awesome looking.

my two GT14's, one with electric PTO and one with manual PTO:image.jpeg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 5

T-Mo

I always like the 753 and 953s.  It doesn't matter if they're collectible or not, to me.  It's the look that I go after, and that being said, any round hood would do it for me.

• Like 2

cschannuth

I like the look of my 701 and the fact that it has several one year only features but it's not comfortable to drive compared to my  '78 C-161 Twin Briggs. And while the 161 is rare I realize most on here are not fans so it will never be valuable. I like how capable it is, how menacing it looks, and the fact that it was my dad's. 

• Like 4

pfrederi
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

I like the look of my 701 and the fact that it has several one year only features but it's not comfortable to drive compared to my  '78 C-161 Twin Briggs. And while the 161 is rare I realize most on here are not fans so it will never be valuable. I like how capable it is, how menacing it looks, and the fact that it was my dad's. 

That is why to me my L-107 Lawn Ranger is the most collectible.  My Father bought it new in May 1967 and she is still working every week.

• Like 4