meadowfield

you couldn't make it up

meadowfield

burnt my finger badly on the GT14 choke cable at the weekend :(

how I hear you ask...   well the fuel had leaked out over the last 4 months through a split pipe so I refilled it, as I was cranking it through I though I could see smoke from the carb :o

So I stopped, could see anything but lifted the hood and cranked again - yes it was the cable smoking...

So I did as any fool would and checked if it was hot!   :banghead:

Turned out despite there being a lot of metal on a GT14, I had a poor earth for the starter and the path it chose was the choke cable!!!!!

• Like 7

KC9KAS

Ouch!

Sounds like something I would do!

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-imsorry:             We always preach about cleaning and tightening electrical connections including grounds;   guess this proves it can happen to the best of us. Glad your injury was minor.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Smokin Choke....a new one.   Hope the finger is OK.

• Like 2

rmaynard

I helped a guy with a C-101 that would spark from the throttle cable each time you went to start it. The owner had tightened the clamp on the engine and added a grounding clamp where the cable entered the hood stand. The sparking stopped, but if he cranked the engine for more than a few seconds, the plastic coating on the cable started to smoke. :confusion-questionmarks: It was then that I found that the engine cradle ground wire was loose, not making good ground contact, and the throttle cable was acting as the engine ground.  

• Like 4

JoeM

I know the first thing I do is look around to see of anyone is watching!

That is a good tip about the grounds.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Not me. One loud F-bomb first, THEN look around.

Live and learn.

• Like 2

squonk

When working at a car dealer a brand new Olds Omega got towed in with a broken clutch cable. Broke where it went thru the bell housing. I figured the crimp was bad and replaced the cable. a week later it gets towed back in for another broken cable. It broke in the same location. This time I see burn marks where the cable was broken. The battery ground cable attached right next to the attachment point and was loose. It arced to the clutch cable and when the car was started, the cranking circuit was grounding thru the cable and melting it.

• Like 2

rmaynard

On 10/2/2016 at 8:49 AM, squonk said:

When working at a car dealer a brand new Olds Omega got towed in with a broken clutch cable. Broke where it went thru the bell housing. I figured the crimp was bad and replaced the cable. a week later it gets towed back in for another broken cable. It broke in the same location. This time I see burn marks where the cable was broken. The battery ground cable attached right next to the attachment point and was loose. It arced to the clutch cable and when the car was started, the cranking circuit was grounding thru the cable and melting it.

In a DC electrical circuit, current is always looking for the closest path to ground. So it stands to reason that if the main ground is loose or corroded, and the choke, throttle or clutch cable is a more convenient path, that will be the result. The heat is generated because the smaller gauge wire can't handle the high amps that the starter draws.

This is why is has been repeated here in this forum many times, when trying to find an electrical problem, always check the ground connections first.

• Like 5