kitkit

kitkit

Will a 857  run without a battery I installed.  Thank you  

Retired Wrencher

kitkit          :WRS:  Why would you not have a battery?

953 nut

:WRS:   Presuming the engine ignition system has not been updated (notice I didn't say improved) to a magneto; yes you need a battery. The automotive style ignition coil requires a 12 volt source to create a spark.

• Like 1

kitkit

In answer to "why no battery " there is a gentleman looking at  a 857 and another 8hp tractor I have for sale and he wanted to unhook the battery after it was started to see if the charging system worked . He was of the opinion if it stopped running the starter /generator  system was not working . I wanted some advise before discussing it again with him . I thank all for their help  

100_0743.JPG

100_0702.JPG

• Like 1

gwest_ca

There is an easier way to do it that requires no wrenches.

Check the battery voltage across the battery posts.

Start the tractor.

Check the battery voltage again. If it increases from the not-running state the charging system is working.

Garry

• Like 7

slammer302

I agree with the mod its better to just check with a volt meter plus from what I've read it's not good on a charging system to run without a battery hooked up anyway. I would buy that 857 regardless if the charging system worked or not it looks good.

• Like 3

kitkit

Thank you  all  for the information. I agree with all the opinions I just wanted to make sure before I got into a discussion with the gentleman .

stevasaurus

I might not sell it to him, if he asked me a question like that.  :ychain:  Nice 857  :)

• Like 3

82Caddy

Boo, why are all these 857's so far away from me.  They look like nice tractors

ACman

Thank god your to far for me to buy either one of those short frame , square hoods . I really need to quit buying tractors ! :) Those are just how I like them too , barn fresh :handgestures-thumbupright: .

Well you're only 3 1/2 hrs away , wonder what ACcuz would say :scratchead: !

Edited by ACman

RubyCon1
11 hours ago, kitkit said:

he wanted to unhook the battery after it was started to see if the charging system worked . He was of the opinion if it stopped running the starter /generator  system was not working

has anyone actually tried this idea ?

i was under the impression the charge system, if operating properly, should be able to power the car / tractor while the battery is temporarily disconnected

slammer302
38 minutes ago, RubyCon1 said:

has anyone actually tried this idea ?

i was under the impression the charge system, if operating properly, should be able to power the car / tractor while the battery is temporarily disconnected

In most cases this would work as a last resort way to check if a charging system is working but sense on this model wheel horse the wire for 12v to the coil and the wire that charges the battery are not connected together so when the battery is disconnected the wire to the coil will lose its 12v connection. If i'm wrong hope someone will correct me. 

Elkskin's mower junkyard

actually on most machine (i dont know about older wheelhorses though) the charging system maybe connected inside ignition switch. but on ones with magnetos this is not the case because it would fry the mag (although on alot of your mtds and ayps L tab of switch is load aka charging system and in on position its connected to B which is battery but nothing else). but i am not sure on a ignition switch for a battery operated coil i would think it would be connected when in on position to charging system and battery inside switch

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak

briankd

won't run without battery. my 857 never did. on the flywheel mine has a rope start pully where you wrap a rope and pull. my starter/generator went to hell and did that once but won't run without battery.