ACman

DL hand soap

ACman

@squonk reminded of this little tip on a different thread .

Some of you probably already know , but DL or GoJo hand soap works really well for getting stains out of your clothes . You know when you find yourself working on something in your good clothes and the wife is in the background yelling at you :teasing-blah: . Works good on pizza grease too . Rub it right into the stain and if really bad let it soak over night . Saved a lot of my school clothes back in the day this way .

• Like 7

DougC

I used to drink a few beers with a guy that snuck his '83 Harley Wide Glide into his apartment and spent the winter months tearing it all apart and overhauling it. He had grease and oil all over the living room carpet when he was done.  :lol:

I told him he will probably have to pay for new carpet and be evicted if his landlord finds out.

He spent a weekend with a few cans of GO-JO and scrubbed and wiped the oily mess and then rented a Rug Doctor and carpet shampooed .

I stopped by a few days later and couldn't believe my eyes. The carpet looked better now than it did when I helped him move in!   :lol:

• Like 4

WHX??

Works good on the upholstery in the truck after the  grand kids barf all over it from too much :icecream:

• Like 6

rmaynard

When I was a kid, my dad used to get DL hand cleaner in gallon cans. A couple of years ago I used to buy DL by Permatex at my local NAPA or Walmart. Recently, I have been unable to find it locally. I can order it from Amazon, but when in a hurry, I have to settle for GO-JO. Sure seems like the stuff from back in the 1950's worked better than the stuff you get today. 

• Like 4

WHX??
6 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

1950's worked better than the stuff you get today.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

the stuff from back in the 1950's worked better than the stuff you get today.

Due to an overprotective bunch of bureaucrats and special interests all of the good stuff has been replaced with what the lobbyists want us to have!     :soapbox:

4 hours ago, ACman said:

Rub it right into the stain and if really bad let it soak over night

I know you are right and seriously, I have used it and found it is great;       but all I could think of while reading it was "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and how they used Windex to clean everything.

Image result for my big fat greek wedding images windex

• Like 4

ACman

I knew some of us older fellas would have some stories  :techie-reference: . I'm sure the stuff from the 50's had some real good chemicals in it .

• Like 1

squonk
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

When I was a kid, my dad used to get DL hand cleaner in gallon cans. A couple of years ago I used to buy DL by Permatex at my local NAPA or Walmart. Recently, I have been unable to find it locally. I can order it from Amazon, but when in a hurry, I have to settle for GO-JO. Sure seems like the stuff from back in the 1950's worked better than the stuff you get today. 

The Napa "Macs" branded hand cleaner was very similar to DL and sold in the big cans. I used to sell cases of to a local farm tire dealer. They used it as a lube to mount tires. :)

• Like 1

KC9KAS
3 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Sure seems like the stuff from back in the 1950's worked better than the stuff you get today

That and a lot of other things too!

jdleach

DL was the staple waterless hand cleaner we used at the family machine shop for as long as I can remember. I used it at the shop while I was running it during the 90s. After the day was done, just grab a glob, rub it in thoroughly, and wipe off with a shop rag. You were good to go until you got home to the shower.

After I closed down in 1998, I didn't buy any for a long time, until about 5 years ago. When I did, I was aghast to find that they had dramatically changed the formula.  Stuff doesn't liquefy on your hands like it used to, and now feels like you are slathering up with lard or Crisco instead. Furthermore, it no longer has its distinctive odor. Smells more like something my daughter would apply to the grandcritter's tush.

In a word, the stuff sucks massively. I will no longer buy it.

I now use Go-Jo. Seems to look, act, and smell pretty close to the old Go-Jo stuff I remember. Does a great job at cleaning, and works well as a waterless hand cleaner.

I do miss that old DL smell though.  

• Like 1

Sarge

If you want seriously industrial hand cleaner , find a Zep dealer or a local diesel shop since those guys use their products a lot . A friend uses their Cherry Bomb in his diesel shop and nothing still comes close to how well it works . It is a pumice type but is the only one I've found that will cut pure ink stains as well as burnt gear oil - think of when a semi loses a wheel bearing seal and flings the stuff into the brake drums , it's really nasty stuff that stains your skin . It will even remove layout fluid , like when I had a can that decided to drizzle the stuff all over one hand - turning it a nice shade of 3-day-dead blue....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-48-oz-Cherry-Bomb-Hand-Cleaner-ZUCBHC48/207077580

http://www.zepequipment.com/products/category/hand_care

Sarge

• Like 1