Steve63

ID help

Steve63

I just acquired a Wheel Horse tractor that I could sure use some help IDing and possible parts. Any help would be great. As you can see, it's disassembled partly for resto. This is how I got it. I know I'm missing the hood. I have to sort out the stuff I got with it to see what else I'm missing. A manual sure would help.

1473873006942-2097386796.jpg

1473873247843-343808292.jpg

1473873284843-256622918.jpg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I think you have a D-200 1978 there.  :)  Check out the photo gallery below on the main page.  1978-1984

LeftSide.jpg

If in fact it is...here is the manual.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 6

953 nut

:WRS:   You are taking on a major project there, but there are lots of awesome members here ready to help with information and advice.    :text-coolphotos:

• Like 4

KC9KAS

@Steve63 :WRS: and yes you have a "D" series tractor.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

:text-welcomeconfetti:       :wh:

Good luck on your project.

Glenn

• Like 1

Steve63

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot of help. Now comes the figuring if the end result will be worth the investment.

WHX??
2 hours ago, Steve63 said:

end result will be worth the investment

Truth be told and honest Steve I doubt it unless you have a lot of the stuff that's missing including the motor. This might be strictly a labor of love. Some of the guys here would love to have that 3 point tho!

• Like 4

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

You would have to find an engine and K twins originally used are hard to find and expensive to fix.  The hydro system cannot be assessed until you get an engine or disassemble the hydro.  It will be a big and I dare say expensive project.  In addition to the three point the rear PTO will bring some money too bad the front pulley is missing.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

Steve, how about giving us a picture of the other stuff you got with this deal.  Maybe it is worth the effort.  :think:

• Like 5

Aldon

I may be the lone wolf here but if you end up doing any significant work to 97 percent of the wheel horse models out there do not expect to come out ahead or even to break even.

If you enjoy fixing things and like the satisfaction of saving a piece of history then resurrecting these beasts can be enjoyable. 

Its rs an economy of scale type operation. If you have enough space and resources to build a bone yard of sorts, I could see making the hobby reach a sustaining level of support. 

Short of of scrapping and selling in eBay, making money or breaking even is not impossible but is the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 5

ACman

I see a HF engine powered rat tractor :) ...open slate there !

• Like 2

Steve63

I failed to mention that it was given to me by a good friend of mine who owns a salvage yard where it ended up in before I got it. I did manage to salvage a bucket and a can of parts and what appears to be all of the sheet metal other than the hood. The sad part is, the first time I saw it was in same said salvage yard when it was a complete tractor. One of the owner's workers took it home for him to restore it, hence it being started disassembly. Worker retired and brought it back in current condition. I notice that the specs shared state they came with 12"rim size rear tires. Mine are 6 lug  27x9.50x15 rears and do not see how it could have came with the 12's as the tractor would be too low in the back compared to the front height. Anyone ever converted one to a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel ? Had an 18 and an 18 Kohler twins last year and all but gave them away.

Just want a small yard tractor with a front end loader and box blade. Would the PTO handle say a 36" bushhog ?

pfrederi

The PTO can handle a 5ft finish mower.  I would think a bush hog of 3' would be possible.  Problem is finding a hog that can deal with a 2000+ RPM PTO

Steve63

I have to rebuild the hydraulic units as dirt dobbers had found open holes to fill so I'll definitely need kits for them. Anyone have any suggestions? The guy who was in the process of disassembling it told me he had taken pics of the process and would put them on an SD card for me. I also need seals in the cylinders under the seat. After I remove those and the rear end, then comes the sand blasting. Just would like a functional tractor, not a show piece. Stevasaurus, as soon as this rain clears out, I'll lay out the other stuff I got with it and submit it. Thanks again.

• Like 1

pfrederi

There is no such thing as a kit. Seals and bearings can be had.  LJ Fluid power has some parts but be sitting down when it comes to price.  There are several how to threads here on overhauling the units.  You need to download the sundstrand manual from the manuals section here.

LJ Fluid Power

10118 South M 43 Highway

Delton, MI 49046-9602

(269) 623-4150