Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

clintonnut

In June you'll see my new tractor. It is a 1054 that was re-engined with a 10 hp Clinton. Very rare engine. This has electric start and a fuel pump which is possibly 1 of 1. We got the engine for 50 bucks and tore it down. SUPRISE!! The engine was bored 10 over and was barely used!!! Good Buy. We ported it A LOT and now it can breathe. The engine has a longer stroke than a 12 horse Kohler and a bigger bore than a 10 horse Kohler. We needed a lot of parts for it so we went hunting at dealerships on our way out to Iowa for Christmas. GOLD. Some of the hardest parts were found thanks to our 1971 dealer directory. I'm expecting 16hp+ out of the brute.

For all of you 953/1054 guys I know where to get tires. M.E. Miller tires has ag tires in 15x7.60 size. They will work on the stock rims. He wants I believe 90 bucks a piece for them which isn't bad.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Sounds good...any pics?

Are you going to beef up the rear diff to handle that torq monster?

clintonnut

I'll try to get pics soon.

The old diff went to pieces when we first got it. So bad you could roll the tractor in gear back and forth by about 3 feet. We put an 8 pinion diff in the tractor out of a 1973 16 auto. The only thing we had to do is on the axle shafts, cut a groove for the C clip to ride on. We also had to take the diff's bull gear and lap of the corners off one side of the teeth so the brake shaft wouldn't bind. I'll post an illustration of it.

Charlie

This saturday I am going to take off an extra step on the crankshaft PTO end with a lathe to make room for the hydro lift pump pulley.

Teddy da Bear

Please post a separate thread on your rebuild of the tranny.

There was a recent post not long ago where many were looking

for an alternative to the 1054 tranny gear configuration.

Thanks in advance.

clintonnut

Go to tranny mods for an illustration

Charlie

clintonnut

Heres the clinton. It is about 2 inches taller than a kohler. Being rebuilt in the pics.

Going to put the crank on the lathe tomorrow to make room for another PTO pulley.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-67-1230941575.jpg

Rollerman

The old diff went to pieces when we first got it. So bad you could roll the tractor in gear back and forth by about 3 feet.

Charlie thats where I'm at with one of my 953's now.

I found a donor tractor a used its diff as a replacement in my trans.

I consider it a "band aid" since the parts were worn & the trans is about the same as it was before it broke apart. :D

I have a set of axles here already to go when I find an 8 pinion diff that will work.

I also have an early 8 speed with a 10 pinion & the axle mod I'm planning on putting into the "donor" tractor & bringing it back to life.

Thanks again for the illustration in your other post. :hide:

Looking forward to your progress with your 1054.

clintonnut

That tractor would be pretty beast with an 8 speed

Charlie

clintonnut

Hey everybody just to give you an update.

The tractor is now called Project Big Red

Here are some pics of assembling the engine today.

The engine has so much compression that you nearly have to put all of your weight on the starter pulley to turn it over. Prob. gonna need a 600+ cranking amp battery to turn over BIG RED

Charlie

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-67-1234403561.jpg

clintonnut

Heres the front.

Notice me holding the wrench. I was workin' hard!!

Charlie

Attached Image

post-67-1234403695.jpg

clintonnut

The engine spark plug wire wasn't inserted properly. Ill give you guys an update in a couple days.

Charlie