JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Dirty Girl, teaser shots, 520-8

AMC RULES

:clap:  Congrats Glenn...looks really good.    :handgestures-salute:

Nothing a long bath, and a little detailing can't fix. 

• Like 2

prondzy

Boy if you think she's dirty now, wait til you get her wet, then she'll be muddy:ROTF:

NICE SCORE!

• Like 5

ACman

Don't park it in the garage wet , dry it off before you park it ! :silence:  :huhs: :text-tmi: 

Im jealous of that one Glen !

• Like 1

wh500special

Glad you brought it home, Glenn. 

The 520-8 is a special tractor.  Certainly not an easy one to find. I think the story of why they made them is similar to that of the c-195...dealer feedback suggested they'd sell, but consumers voted otherwise when making their choice.  

They seem to to be found in clusters.   I think certain dealers pushed them harder than others.  Our local wh dealer on the north side of the St. Louis metro said he sold around 20 of them.  10% of their production trickled through his little shop. Amazing. 

Nice tractor.  One every wh nut needs to have.  And I just so happen to know where another one is...right here in river city 😎

Steve 

• Like 4

KC9KAS

Very nice 520-8 with accessories!

• Like 1

c-series don

Why on earth did that tractor NOT come with electric lift? I never could figure that out !! 

Wishin4a416

Ah Glenn. Lucky you. You have a nice project tractor! Keep us posted.

• Like 1

stevebo

Nice pick up. The 520-8 is one of my favorite machines. I pull my 7x14' PJ trailer around and up hills with it but not down.... Great machines. 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Good find Glen ! Happy to know you are the new owner :)

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

Why on earth did that tractor NOT come with electric lift? I never could figure that out !! 

I thought I read somewhere that was an Option? Not sure 100 percent, but I agree with you.

Glenn

1 hour ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Ah Glenn. Lucky you. You have a nice project tractor! Keep us posted.

Hey Jack, exactly, a project. I need another project like I don't know what. But it's straight,, let's see what happens.

Glenn

• Like 1

MalMac

What you see in the 520-8 is the evolution of 520. When the 520 was first introduced it was a answer to the trend of more HP that other manufactures were doing and to try and get the tractor into the commercial end of things. The commercial side of sales started to demand bigger decks. So then the 60" was introduced. Then you seen the 2 stage introduced. In order to get that 60 to work, we seen the next step in the development of the tractor, the forward swept Axel. Toro then as a selling option offered the 520-8 in 1990. It never really took off because people that did buy that big HP also wanted the big attachments. Did not take long to figure out lifting the big attachments was a struggle. There for the tractor did not catch on as a big seller. Next in the evolution came the sterring reduction that was needed to turn the tractor with the 60" deck and that boat anchor of a snowblower the 2 stage. This is just a short version of why the 520 came into being and how it got to its finale design. The 520-8 is a nice tractor but over kill for any other attachments other than the big deck and two stage. The power is nice but we all know that a Wheel Horse from 8-16hp will handle just about anything you throw at it. So to me the 520-8 was just a marketing adventure that did not really take off but is still a very nice tractor to have in ones collection. Even though I am not a fan of the 520 or seeking one out, I would not turn one down ether.

I should correct myself in saying the 60" deck had been around with the 195. But that was before Toro had taken over I believe.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 6

Ken B

Nice pickup Glenn. She is a dirty girl but she'll clean up nice.. Ya gotta hand it to Toro, as MalMac stated they sure did try...

• Like 2

JC 1965

Really nice tractor, don't see many of them with the 8 speed trans.  Thanks for sharing.       :thumbs2:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

The electric lift may not have had the capacity and/or service life to handle the 60" deck without problems. I recall that Johnny Bucket makes mention of fitting his product to a Wheel Horse equipped with an electric lift. It isn't used and remains locked in one position as he fits a larger linear actuator on the JB Jr.

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice score Hawg:handgestures-thumbupright:... gonna have a arm like the hulk liftin   the 60" & the blower ....any chance it come with a cab??? :ychain:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Before I went to hydro lifts. I added lift assist springs to make the manual lifts manageable.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Before I went to hydro lifts. I added lift assist springs to make the manual lifts manageable.

Good point Ed, I better order a spring from Glen Petit,  plus I need a  tail light lens, plus I need a chute for the deck, plus I need this, plus I need that. Lol The list won't stop and it's not even home yet to really get into it.  Maybe I will get rid of the deck??? The snow blower will DEFINITELY  be going, I have 2 all ready, don't need 3. Frankly, I don't even know how deep I am going to get into the 520 yet. It's just that being "rare" and around the corner, I HAD TO have it. Can't resist a sale. Just like my wife. Btw, she gave me her blessings, it came out like a grunt, followed by a "whatever" from her. BUT no war, how rare is that. An amazing thing is that the seat and armrests are still intact, I was shocked on that.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 5

jimt1971

Glenn make me a good deal on the blower and I will come up to get. Just saying.

Wheel-N-It

Glenn, congratulations, you are now the proud owner of so many Wheel Horses that you can now dedicate all your spare time to working on them. I'm in that place too. One or two always need a battery cleaned or an oil change or a recently aquired set of wheel weights bolted on, or a belt replaced, or something. Not saying anything negative, it just happens after you buy enough of these things. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely!

• Like 1

TDF5G

Congrats on your new Horse!  She should clean up real nice IMO. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

UPDATE: Dirty Girl was finally delivered to me this morning about 9:30. The owner actually gave me the rubbermaid dump cart to. Its pretty nice. Anyway I get out the power washer, simple green spray, deep purple spray, engine clean spray and have at it. paint and dirt are flying off it.

What a nightmare of dirt and grim and crud. I got my hands full with this one, shes going to need a teardown and refresh. oh brother...maybe when I get my 2 stage from Cody I will work it for the winter, dont know. But heres some pics, we all like pictures around here. Oh, I can assure you, it only looks better cause its wet. The dirt that came off it you wouldnt believe.

Enjoy,,,,,,,,,

Glenn

20160924_091606.jpg

20160924_091713.jpg

20160924_091707.jpg

20160924_134438.jpg

20160924_134457.jpg

20160924_134509.jpg

20160924_134450.jpg

20160924_134434.jpg

20160924_134504.jpg

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
spelling
  • Like 3

Wishin4a416

Looks a lot better already is right Glenn! Change the oil's, grease and work it. Put that 2 stage on it.

• Like 2

ericj

Glenn great catch, if it's to much work for you I'll gladly come take it off your hands lol :ROTF:

eric j

• Like 1