Jays308-8

Steering shaft

Jays308-8

Good day to all!

I have another favor to ask. Can someone post a closeup of the steering bushing that resides behind the battery on a 3 series horse? Mine is worn and has a decent amount of up and down movement.

Also, I'm looking to buy a steering shaft cover. If anyone ha one, please let me know.

Thanks!

daveoman1966

Here is my 314-A.  This the bushing you want?    and the Steer column cover too? ? ?

I have both.....

for details and pics, send me an off-site email.  

I just went out and took some pics of the parts me thinks you want....here they are:

I am:

daveoman@windstream.net

314a (62)A.jpg

314a (14).JPG

314 bush (1).JPG

314 bush (3).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

Jays308-8

The cover and bushings are exactly what I'm looking for. It seems that the shaft was taken apart at one time and put back together incorrectly. If you would have an exploded view of the assembly, that would be great. Otherwise I could look at a diagram on partstree.

PM me with the price you want for the parts.

Thank you!

Ed Kennell

Jay, The purpose of the bushing of course keeps the shaft centered,  but more importantly, it also takes the up thrust of the steering gear that wants to disengage.

The bushing must be installed with the flange down and below the metal  support plate to keep the gears tightly engaged. 

Jays308-8
12 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Jay, The purpose of the bushing of course keeps the shaft centered,  but more importantly, it also takes the up thrust of the steering gear that wants to disengage.

The bushing must be installed with the flange down and below the metal  support plate to keep the gears tightly engaged. 

Thank you.

It was installed correctly, but had an issue where the steering shaft had a lot of play. Also, the shaft cover would never stay in place and over time, the dash decal got torn up and the inside of the cover got destroyed. I'll be looking for some more pics of the bushings and clips that keep the steering shaft centered.

Thanks for the quick responses, you guys are great!

• Like 1