Cadmandu

Hi Range in reverse downhill

bmsgaffer
On 9/24/2016 at 8:29 AM, Cadmandu said:

Okay I can see that now. Did wheel horse make a bagger system for the 42 or 48" deck?

Yes, but since those are not "high lift" decks it is a powered system. There is a blower that mounts on the chute that collects the grass clippings and blows them up into the bags in the rear. You replace the right most pulley on the deck with a double pulley to drive the belt that the blower runs from. 

toro_Vac_Bagger.jpg

Cadmandu

That is a really nice design. What is a high lift deck? When my 37" is all the way down I have 9 1/2" slack in my attachment lever before it hits any resistance. Is that normal, or do I need to adjust something?

Can you tell me what years the color changed on the wheels. I have silver and some have white linen. I want to keep my 1989 312-8 to spec. Are valves for tubeless rims on garden tractors the same as ones for cars?

Thanks

pfrederi

Valve stem is .453 ID rim hole....  Standard for cars.  farm Tractors and bigger trucks use .625

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I want to say that 1985 was the first year for silver wheels, when they changed to the newer body style from the Blackhoods (C-105 and the like)

A high lift deck has to do with the airflow design and the blades. It is designed for more airflow to push the cut grass out faster (for example to push into your bagger) and they have "high lift" blades that have a sharp angle on the trailing edge to create the airflow. Usually you will also see a kind of "swoop" in the deck design to assist with the high airflow and ejecting of grass. 

I'm not sure on the valves, i think the tractor ones are shorter but I am not sure about diameter. 

Cadmandu

Thanks so I can go to Advance Auto and get the same valves they sell for cars? I don't understand why these tires i bought from Millers need tubes. Why would such an expensive tire need these?

16x6.50-8 V61 HD 5-Rib 170/60-8 6 ply

http://www.millertire.com/products/implement-tires/rib-implement-tires/16x6-50-8/16x6-50-8-v61-hd-5-rib-170-60-8-6-ply/

bmsgaffer

Some people run them without tubes successfully, but I will tell you right now... use tubes. 

Those tires are designed for heavy machinery (thus the 6 ply rating) and that is why they are expensive, not that they are exceptionally high quality (though they are good). I had the shop that mounted my V61's (first without tubes) inflate them with WAY too much pressure to seat the beads and air actually got up in between the plys and created a huge bubble that was there even after you deflated the tire.  Never even knew that could happen. It took a week of sitting with no air pressure for that bubble to finally escape and then be reused with tubes. Worked fine after that. 

The beads only seated on one right anyway and they both ended up with slow leaks before I had them remounted with tubes. I agree that they are expensive and they shouldn't need tubes, but they should last a LONG time and they are great tires. 

Cadmandu

Yes, I agree I purchased the tubes from Miller for 37.00 for two. What is the correct way to install them? I have a mini tire changer from Harbor Freight

To save some money I was thinking of buying some High temp silver paint for my muffler and than using the rest on my used 8" wheels would that look okay?

Do I need to replace any gaskets or hardware for my muffler removal. How do you install one of those chrome plated covers for mufflers?

Thanks

bmsgaffer
6 minutes ago, Cadmandu said:

Yes, I agree I purchased the tubes from Miller for 37.00 for two. What is the correct way to install them? I have a mini tire changer from Harbor Freight

I have no idea :hide:. I take them to the place that I always go back to for car/truck tires (fully expecting to pay) and they have done every one I have brought in for free. 

8 minutes ago, Cadmandu said:

Do I need to replace any gaskets or hardware for my muffler removal. How do you install one of those chrome plated covers for mufflers?

I thought the mufflers were threaded pipe? if they are then there is nothing to replace. If its bolted up, you will probably want a new manifold gasket. Someone with a newer engine than I will surely help us out here. 

If your muffler has little tabs welded on it, then you can find a used chrome cover that will just screw on (the ones from 520's fit but are a bit large if I recall correctly, the ones form other 300 or 400 series will srew right on) If you dont have the little tabs already, you will need to find a muffler that does or add some yourself. 

shallowwatersailor
10 hours ago, Cadmandu said:

Thanks so I can go to Advance Auto and get the same valves they sell for cars? I don't understand why these tires i bought from Millers need tubes. Why would such an expensive tire need these?

16x6.50-8 V61 HD 5-Rib 170/60-8 6 ply

http://www.millertire.com/products/implement-tires/rib-implement-tires/16x6-50-8/16x6-50-8-v61-hd-5-rib-170-60-8-6-ply/

You are probably too young to remember ;) but most tires years ago required tubes. It was new technology to have "tubeless tires" on a car. Now it is a given. That size tire is intended for a farm implement and thus the bead is a different design needing tubes.

You might consider starting a new thread when you switch topics next time. Two reasons: 1. it makes it easier to read; 2. archived topics are easier to research.

Keep the questions coming though!

Cadmandu

I am 66 so remember that very well. Patching tubes as a kid was big on my list vulcanizing and all. I was just not expecting to find this still going on today. The tires were pretty expensive and the 35.00 tubes did not help. I got my 8" spindles yesterday. Got the 6' off and will be putting the 8" on if the used 8" rims and tires come tonight. I bought them off of Dave Luzier very nice guy meet him on red square. The 8" are on the wood and the 6" on the white table these are the wheels that are coming soon. Here is a spacer I designed if needed.  

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

unnamed_jpg_5c7b731ed89f9d25973179b7dce4eaa2.jpg

wheel_horse_spacer.pdf

Cadmandu

look at my new shoes, i love my horse and my vintage scooters.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_9850.JPG

Maggie RS.JPG

Edited by Cadmandu
  • Like 2

bmsgaffer

I do like the look of those V61s!

tunahead72

Nice bikes too! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Sunday I go up to Saegertown pa  to pick up my 8" fronts and 12 x 8.5 wide rims for my rears and a 42" side discharge just in case my 8" V61 rub my 37" deck. I hear different stories so I will find out soon. I have an idea that 11 cu ft bagger system will get old pretty fast. I think those bags will be full about every two swipes of the yard. It's time to order new 10.5 rears and I am having a problem deciding between the best AG tires to buy.

This came from the rubber tire chain company.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Will the rubber tire chains say 23 x 9.5 x 12 fit a tractor with 23 x 10.5 x 12 AG tires:

Most likely not, since the second number is the width of the tire, the first chain is made for a tire 9.5" wide while the second one is made for a tire 10.5" wide.  The 9.5 would be too small for the 10.5.  You can often size the chains down, but not up.  If the chain is too large, you can manually alter it by removing chain and rubber bars.

2. Can you mount a 10.5 tire on a rim that has a 9.5 tire on it stock:

This would be more a question for a tire expert, which I am not.  I would guess that this would not work due to the tires being different widths.

3. If I wanted to buy just one set of rubber chains to fit both the 9.5 turf and the 10.5 lug which set would I buy?

Notice answer #1 above.  The only chain that could possibly fit both would be the 10.5, however, you may not be able to get it tight enough on the 9.5 tire without removing bars, which you would then have to put back on when mounting on the 10.5 tire.  The bars aren't hard to remove as their just held on with standard bolts, so you could take them off, then tie-wrap or wire up the extra chain so it doesn't flop around when you're driving.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Clayton