Cadmandu

Hi Range in reverse downhill

pfrederi

There is mesh filter inside the gas tank it is part of the shut off valve.  I always add an inline filter to my horses.

cschannuth
On September 13, 2016 at 3:51 AM, Cadmandu said:

Hi All,

Just had my 89 312-8 delivered last night and when the guy was backing down the ramp it looked like the tractor ran off with him. He needed to brake very hard to stop. Is this normal should hi range reverse hold you back going downhill? I have a steep hill in my back yard if i go up in 4th or 5th gear do i need to go shift into low range then reverse to back down slowly?

Thanks

If he was gaining speed backing down the ramps and the tires were not losing traction you may have a loose drive belt. I've had mine speed up going down hill forward while towing a heavy trailer. My wheels were not slipping, the RPMs were not increasing, but I was definitely speeding up until I applied the brakes. 

• Like 1

Cadmandu

I mowed my hill a few days a go not much of a hill but cat turn around at the top seemed okay. I will get a brake lining from maynard soon. Where is a good place to mount an inline filter? Picked one up along with three qts of 10/30 Kohler oil. Can you clean the filter in the tank and if how? Do they sell service repair manuals for the 89 312-8?

Thanks

Just picked up my mini tire changer at Harbor Freight still in the box.

953 nut
48 minutes ago, Cadmandu said:

Do they sell service repair manuals for the 89 312-8?

We don't sell them; they are free to members.

48 minutes ago, Cadmandu said:

mowed my hill a few days a go not much of a hill but cat turn around at the top seemed okay.

:twocents-02cents:                It might be wise to let the :wh: come to rest for a minute on fairly level ground between passes on the hill. Your engine lubrication depends on having oil splashed around by a dipper on the end of the connecting rod, if you remain on a steep grade for too long the oil may run away from the center of the oil pan and result in poor lubrication.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

Cadmandu

I was mowing and the belt came off. I spent an hour trying to get it back on. The belt number is 111178 a wheel horse number. It would not slip over the mule drive pulley. The machine is a 312-8 1989 deck is a 37" 05-37sc01

Edited by Cadmandu

953 nut
5 hours ago, Cadmandu said:

Did you remove the cover from the mule drive and loosen (turn clockwise) the tension?

Cadmandu

I did loosen all the tension but the cover is in the way, now I see the large nut will allow the cover to be removed. I thought that held the pulley's on the shaft. How did the belt get off the mule drive with the cover in place? I feel pretty stupid but I figured if it came out it should go back in. Where can i get a owners manual for the deck. 312-8 1998 deck is a 37" 05-37sc01

Edited by Cadmandu

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

Cadmandu
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:
19 hours ago, Cadmandu said:

Did you remove the cover from the mule drive and loosen (turn clockwise) the tension?

Thank you so much parts list and all. I have the bagging system that attaches to my 37" deck, I want to use that this fall for leaves any suggestions and opinions on that. I just bought this wagon will get it today, How do you guys attach a ball to the back of the horse?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/5777281320.html

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, Cadmandu said:

Got the belt back on real easy when you do it correctly. Sorry for being so lame. I found a set of weights will these fit my horse.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/5788102389.html

Yes, those are one of the best type to get. Good price for chains, they look like two-link as well  :handgestures-thumbupright:,  and weights too.

I couldn't measure the backset on the wheels of my 312A but the spacer is 1/4".

Edited by shallowwatersailor

bmsgaffer

You arent lame, we all have to learn!

And to your mulching question from the previous page: It can be hard to find mulching kits for wheel horse decks, but they are out there and only available for the 42" rear discharge deck or some of the newer (often XI series) 48" decks. 

Cadmandu

Just got back picked up 70 lb wheel weights and chains for 150.00.

http://www.tractorweightsonline.com/tractor_wheel_weights/details.php?weight=4150

Chains are 50 x 15

Hi BMS my son lives in Cincinnati. What i meant was the grass shut that attaches to the 37" deck. It came with a bagger and no shut. I noticed my blades had a 1" high 90 degree lip on them is that for mulching or creating a better suction for the bagger. I noticed that my air valves are on the inside of the rim o the backset side not out front. I'm working on a set of 8.5 wide rims with a 1 3/8 backset. The guy at the used tractor store took back the cub wheels and will remove a set of wheels from a H420 on Tuesday

both chains.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

one end.JPG

weights.JPG

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Gotchya! You may be able to post in the "Wanted" classifieds to see if someone has one to sell ya. 

And also, all WH's since VERY early on have run the fill valve on the inside of the rims front and back. Your fronts may be on backwards (If I understood you correctly) :handgestures-thumbupright: At first it seems like a pain in the neck, but you get used to it and its nice when wheel weights are mounted.

Cadmandu

That is some more really good rim info. Now I know if the backset is not 1 3/8 and the air valve hole is not on the inside this is not a WH rim. Please explain this. The tractor guy Harrry told me last night that WH had silver rims and white rims and they were different and I guess older and newer models. My weights don't seem to fit inside the rim very deeply should they?

bmsgaffer

There are two different types of rear rims on the later model tractors (1968+ and I am only talking about the "garden tractor" level here: C series, 300,400,500 series). All of the ivory/off white ones are 7.5" wide and probably 70% of the silver ones are too as that's what most wheel horses came with. They had either a 8.5 or 9.5" wide tire from the factory. Later on in the 80's WH came out with some "Commercial" models (418C, 520HC) that had 8.5" wide rims with 10.5" wide tires. Then in 1991 when the regular 520H was upgraded to handle the 60" deck it came exclusively with the 10.5" wide tires and thus 8.5" rims.

In 1998 the XI series came out and those are all 8.5" wide rims with 10.5" wide tires, but I am not 100% certain that the backspacing is the same. (It most likely is, but I dont want to lead you astray) 

All the wheel weights are slightly different shapes, some sit deeper than others depending on their design. With that much weight I would want them to be well supported inside the rim, do they feel like they are well supported? I know some 70lb weights do stick out. The 50lbs cast iron weights usually sit close to flush, but again every one is a bit different. I have some bolens 50 pounders that sit nearly completely flush and I love it. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by bmsgaffer

Cadmandu

Man I wish I had asked you guys about this before I bought those cub rims. Now I know what to look for. I am taking good notes. Are we saying that not all WH rims have a 1 3/8 backset?

Thank you so much. I will pop a wheel off tonight and drop a weight down inside and take a picture.

1989 312-8 Wheel Horse.docx

Driving on Hills.docx

Rubber Tire Chains.docx

dcrage

"What i meant was the grass shut that attaches to the 37" deck. It came with a bagger and no shut. I noticed my blades had a 1" high 90 degree lip on them is that for mulching or creating a better suction for the bagger"

The 37" deck is designed for 'unassisted' grass/leaf pickup to you bagger system -- (I know from personal experience that the 37" deck throws material a lot further than the WH 42" deck) -- Other decks from this time frame needed "power assist" to transfer to the bag or cart -- The blades for the 37" deck do have significant elevation on the back side of the cutting area which I assume was for greater air flow -- There are special designed blades for the RIGHT HAND position on the 37" deck which have a bolted on significant raised edge for use when bagging -- They give even more lift than the normal blades to transfer material thru the tube back to the bags -- For what it is worth Toro charged a lot of $s for these blades when/if they are available

Cadmandu

I just broke my trans-axle please advise. I put a jack under the trans-axle got the wheels off the ground then put jacks under the axles. Put it in low range 1st gear and removed the nuts with an impact wrench at around 100 psi.Removed wheels and now the axle hubs spin by hand in all gears. I started it and put it in low range 1st gear let out the clutch and could hold the hub in my hand. What in the world did I shear off?

953 nut

CHECK TO SEE IF THE KEY IS BROKEN ON EITHER OF THE HUBS OR YOUR INPUT SHAFT!

Sorry, wasn't shouting at you, just fat fingered the caps lock.   :hide:

Cadmandu

the shaft spins when i turn the hub

bmsgaffer

I'm not sure I have a complete picture here, but when you turn a hub by hand, are you turning one at a time or both at the same time?

When you were in first low, and held one hub still, the differential will allow the other side's hub to turn (albeit faster to compensate). These tractors have open differentials, so if you jack it up and turn one wheel (with engine off and in gear or with park brake set) the other hub will turn the opposite direction with almost no resistance. (That's the earlier point we were making about traction issues).

Does that make sense or did I misunderstand?

ohiofarmer

Since the aggressive tires have been mentioned,I found some new take-offs that are 24x10x12  Carlisle AT489. They might work on a 520H, but I would be concerned about the height if used for mowing. Oh, and 80.00 for TWO .I don't really know about the freight, because i live close enough to pick them up.

Several sets are still available, but once they sell out, that is it.

bmsgaffer

Also, if your high/low did not completely engage you COULD be stuck in between gears which presents a neutral-like situation. So check shifting into high and low again to make sure that you got it fully engaged. Sometimes that shifter is a bit trickier to get in gear. 

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Would what I did actually break something? I messed around for a few minutes this morning before work seems like it is going into gear but still spins free.

When I spin the right side the left side turns in the other direction. The 6/8 tranny pdf I have only goes to 1982 where can I get a 89 version of the 312-8?

What years and sizes have the same tranny that I have? The manual says to remove with the wheels attached. Seems like they require a fixture to hold it in.

Thanks for the help