slim67

My Suburban project from Ohio.

953 nut

:WRS:     We enjoy all Wheel Horses, whether they are in their work clothes or a tuxedo.   :text-coolphotos:

• Like 4

oliver2-44

Looks like a good one to restore.  Keep the pictures comming 

slim67

Thanks all. It is missing some parts and has some imperfections but considering its going back to work that's OK with me. It wont have the original engine, the paint will be close(rustoleum sunrise red ) and i was going to graft golf cart hubs onto front spindles. The drag link has a broken ball fitting so I dont know how I will address that yet. I have pics to post of progress.

953 nut
22 minutes ago, slim67 said:

The drag link has a broken ball fitting

Take a look on McMasterCarr.com, they have a great selection of this type of parts.

slim67
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Take a look on McMasterCarr.com, they have a great selection of this type of parts.

I will do that. Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Here's an easy fix for your drag link issues. The ball joints can be found at a hardware store or http://www.wheelhorseman1000.com/ , :)

Drag link - sector.JPG

• Like 5

slim67
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Here's an easy fix for your drag link issues. The ball joints can be found at a hardware store or http://www.wheelhorseman1000

Thats a nice fix. I was thinking like you , to fab something up. Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 2

slim67

I started cleaning and etching most of the little parts and front axle and had time to paint yesterday. Here are some pics as it stands. I am well into it but have a ways to go though Im in no hurry. I will sandblast the hood,firewall,seat and probably rear wheels. Everything else gets the wire wheel which has always worked well for me. I know sandblasting is the way to go, but i have a 30 gallon compressor and it just wont keep up with the pot my Dad has ( an old TIP made in Canfield,Ohio). I dont know if I will take it somewhere, buy a smaller unit that will work with my compressor or what at this point.There is also a guy near me that dips parts in a caustic tank of acid or something. Anyways the wife wants something so talk to you all later and have a good day. 

Suburban project 001.JPG

Suburban project 003.JPG

Suburban project 002.JPG

• Like 6

slim67

Well it was raining here this morning and the Mrs. didnt mind me going out to garage to do a little work on my Suburban. I ended up separating frame from trans and removing drive pulley,brake hub,seat spring,clutch linkage and slot hitch. I don't have the right puller for removing hubs and they are on there good. Mine is a two jaw and it's longer than needed. It keeps walking and slipping off. I have resources to one so not worried. The trans had no 90 weight in it at all but about a 1/2 cup of water. I guess I will be opening that up whether I want to or not.  I have read here that many of you have had the same problem. Fortunately there are several good threads on this trans( thank you ) here that will help me. It will be fun if anything, that's why we do this right ?

• Like 2

WHX??

Absolutely Slim. ....any problems use your shout out

slim67

Thanks WHX7. I got a better puller from my father in law. It's a 3 jaw and got the frozen hub off by heating it with torch and triggering my impact gun a little at a time. I cooled the hub in a bucket of water and wetted a rag to cool the axle shaft. The other hub came off easily due to the fact that gear oil had seeped past the seal and in between hub and axle shaft. I am ready to start the trans disassembly. I will be watching Steveasaurus' videos first. More to come.

• Like 1

slim67

I am going to take a little break to catch up on a few projects I need to complete before it snows. I have some electrical work that I have been putting off for my sisters barn to do. Once that's done I will get back to it. I will update this thread as often as I can till its done.

• Like 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, slim67 said:

going to take a little break to catch up on a few projects I need to complete before it snows

Welcome to our world Slim... then there's the honeydo list as well!  That's what's nice about these little red projects, like a loyal dog we can set them aside for life's other chores, but when we come back to them they are there wagging their tail! Took me over a year to do my 400 between a bathroom remodel, new siding on the barn, landscaping, vacation & fishing.....:blink::wacko:

slim67
3 hours ago, WHX7 said:

Welcome to our world Slim... then there's the honeydo list as well!  That's what's nice about these little red projects, like a loyal dog we can set them aside for life's other chores, but when we come back to them they are there wagging their tail! Took me over a year to do my 400 between a bathroom remodel, new siding on the barn, landscaping, vacation & fishing.....:blink::wacko:

Yeah I hear you. I don't want too many things hanging over my head. The good thing is that it gives me some incentive to hurry and finish them.

• Like 1

slim67

Hopefully I will be back to working on my tractor very soon and updating this thread. The winter weather is on its way here in ne Ohio. I've been toying with the idea of a separate project involving a good snowmobile track and making one of my tractors into a sort of half track conversion like they used to sell for mid size tractors. Happy thanksgiving to all.

• Like 2

RJ Hamner
On 9/16/2016 at 9:37 AM, slim67 said:

I know sandblasting is the way to go, but i have a 30 gallon compressor and it just wont keep up with the pot my Dad has ( an old TIP made in Canfield,Ohio)

I have a 966 cabinet from TP and ordered their Low Air Supply Nozzle Setup part # 6311-04

works like a champ on my 30 gal compressor

Sarge

TP tools and the Scat blast system parts are an invaluable source in my shop - I buy their replacement gloves and gun parts quite a lot and upgraded finally to a carbide nozzle , love that thing for the price I paid and no signs of wear yet despite heavy usage . I plan to get one of their new dust collectors as mine only has the canvas bag and it's shot , not to mention it doesn't flow air well enough and I'm half blind as it is ...

That thing is going to look nice , glad you aren't afraid to work it .

Sarge

slim67
On 12/27/2016 at 9:03 PM, RJ Hamner said:

I have a 966 cabinet from TP and ordered their Low Air Supply Nozzle Setup part # 6311-04

works like a champ on my 30 gal compressor

Is it TP you have ? or TIP? I dont think TIP is in business anymore unless they are under a new name. Thanks for that info. 

russellmc301

tp is most likely it, they are a great company.

slim67

Well I took my trans apart tonight and it looks pretty good . Lot of sludge coating everything and a little water. I did notice some metal when scraping out sludge with my fingertips. I will post some pics tomorrow as I am beat. Overall I am happy with trannys condition compared to some I have seen on here. Lastly , I want to give a big shout out to Red Square for sharing all the info I need for the #5010.Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

WHX??

:wwp:

slim67

Here are some pics of transaxle. The differential is soaking in the parts washer so I havent really given it a good once over. As I said earlier, I was scraping out the sludge out into a drain pan with my fingers and could feel some metal bits. Fortunately there is no rust. Not bad for a 57 year old horse. I still have more to disassemble and clean but having fun doing it. I am dealing with back issues right now so I have to take break. I cant stand up for more than 5 minutes without excruciating pain in my left leg and am losing feeling in my lower leg and foot. Getting older and working  sucks sometimes but Ill get through it. I have tractor to get ready for spring.

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

sorry about pics, am having problems but could mods resize them please? Thanks

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, slim67 said:

I am dealing with back issues right now so I have to take break. I cant stand up for more than 5 minutes without excruciating pain in my left leg and am losing feeling in my lower leg and foot.

Go get an MRI of your lower back NOW! Don't put it off. I was having those same symptoms prior to having spinal surgery, if I had done it sooner I wouldn't have had nerve damage to my ankle. I will walk with a limp the rest of my life, but at least I am able to stand and walk which I wouldn't have been able to do without the spinal fusion.

Please, don't put it off, The longer you put it off the greater the likelihood of permanent nerve damage.

Yours will probably look like this; the lower vertebra are pinching the sciatic nerve and won't get better on their own.

Spine 3.jpgSpine 4.jpg

Please, get it done, get an MRI now.

• Like 2