slim67

My Suburban project from Ohio.

slim67

I went to doctor today and got xrays but i will have to wait till Monday for results. I will probably be going Tuesday morning for an MRI. I have a bulging disc in between L4-5 that is likely causing the problem. I dont know if bulging and herniated are same terms but my doctor is thinking herniated. Did you only have an MRI? I dont know if the xrays are all I need or why the MRI next? I had this about 15-16 years ago and was off work for 8 weeks. I am praying for the best. thanks for sharing that with me. I hope your better after surgery.

• Like 2

HeyMrP
4 minutes ago, slim67 said:

I went to doctor today and got xrays but i will have to wait till Monday for results. I will probably be going Tuesday morning for an MRI. I have a bulging disc in between L4-5 that is likely causing the problem. I dont know if bulging and herniated are same terms but my doctor is thinking herniated. Did you only have an MRI? I dont know if the xrays are all I need or why the MRI next? I had this about 15-16 years ago and was off work for 8 weeks. I am praying for the best. thanks for sharing that with me. I hope your better after surgery.

I'm recovering from a herniated disc in my L4-L5. My understanding is that a herniation is when the disc ruptures and the stuff on the inside is getting out. A bulged disc is more along the lines of the disc got squished, but only enough to cause it to bulge out without breaking through. My original injury was more than 6 months ago and I still have some pain in my lower back and tingling in my right leg. Take your time and let yourself heal. At first I was in terrible pain, could barely walk or stand, and was on some pretty strong meds. Now I can walk pretty much as much as I want, am doing squats with 70 lbs, and am totally off medications. Last but not least, do some research on turmeric  supplements... you may find that they might be the right thing for you.

• Like 1

slim67
3 minutes ago, HeyMrP said:

I'm recovering from a herniated disc in my L4-L5. My understanding is that a herniation is when the disc ruptures and the stuff on the inside is getting out. A bulged disc is more along the lines of the disc got squished, but only enough to cause it to bulge out without breaking through. My original injury was more than 6 months ago and I still have some pain in my lower back and tingling in my right leg. Take your time and let yourself heal. At first I was in terrible pain, could barely walk or stand, and was on some pretty strong meds. Now I can walk pretty much as much as I want, am doing squats with 70 lbs, and am totally off medications. Last but not least, do some research on turmeric  supplements... you may find that they might be the right thing for you.

So you know ,along with 953 nut,  what Im going through. I have been lifting for 20 years and hike 3-4 times a week but could never eliminate back pain. I did crunches and still do to improve my core strength along with push ups. I need to really start doing stretches I was told. I am glad to hear you are better as this definitely interferes with everyday living. I am on gabapentin and percocet along with 800mgs of ibuprofen 3x day. I developed an addiction to percocet the first time this happened and have to be careful, but over the counter stuff just doesnt work.

• Like 2

953 nut
45 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Did you only have an MRI? I dont know if the xrays are all I need or why the MRI next?

Xrays didn't show anything conclusive, the MRI gives you a cross-sectional view and is much more comprehensive as it can pinpoint the soft tissue and bone defects, they can even pan forward and back through the spine images. It has been a year and a half  since my surgery and I am continuing to improve, it is a slow process, but without a doubt I wouldn't be able to walk by now if I didn't have the surgery.

55 minutes ago, slim67 said:

I am praying for the best.

I will include you in my prayers too.

• Like 2

slim67
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Xrays didn't show anything conclusive, the MRI gives you a cross-sectional view and is much more comprehensive as it can pinpoint the soft tissue and bone defects, they can even pan forward and back through the spine images. It has been a year and a half  since my surgery and I am continuing to improve, it is a slow process, but without a doubt I wouldn't be able to walk by now if I didn't have the surgery.

I will include you in my prayers too.

Thank you. I will be getting my MRI Tuesday morning. 

• Like 1

Sarge

Back pain isn't any fun - been dealing with mine for 34yrs since I was in the Corps . Messed it up there pretty good , then for real punishment I got into Construction to really finish all of it off . I should find that shot from the last set of MRI's - looks like 2 trains had a head-on collision , complete with extra parts strewn around . Got to put 2 more years in for my pension - then it gets repaired . For now , I don't/can't do the heavy stuff anymore and hate it - don't like watching others have all the fun . Been on Soma compound for 10yrs now since a bad dual knee injury from a construction accident in '06 , now along with Indomethacin and Tramadol I can at least get some things done . Gladly , I've helped others around here enough over the years it's not usually a problem to get heavy lifting help - took 5 of them to move my new/old drill press into the shop a few weeks ago with it weighing 560lbs . Nice to have some beefy nephews and friends , lol . If you can get if fixed , get it done asap - nerve damage is real and very permanent . That left foot of mine is nearly dead and it's not coming back , ever . The docs are making some great progress with new types of repairs - I'm holding out as long as I can and let them test it out on others and see how long term repairs hold up , very interested in some of the new cement procedures and now they are working on different types of artificial disks - even better !

Sarge

• Like 1

slim67
4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Back pain isn't any fun - been dealing with mine for 34yrs since I was in the Corps . Messed it up there pretty good , then for real punishment I got into Construction to really finish all of it off . I should find that shot from the last set of MRI's - looks like 2 trains had a head-on collision , complete with extra parts strewn around . Got to put 2 more years in for my pension - then it gets repaired . For now , I don't/can't do the heavy stuff anymore and hate it - don't like watching others have all the fun . Been on Soma compound for 10yrs now since a bad dual knee injury from a construction accident in '06 , now along with Indomethacin and Tramadol I can at least get some things done . Gladly , I've helped others around here enough over the years it's not usually a problem to get heavy lifting help - took 5 of them to move my new/old drill press into the shop a few weeks ago with it weighing 560lbs . Nice to have some beefy nephews and friends , lol . If you can get if fixed , get it done asap - nerve damage is real and very permanent . That left foot of mine is nearly dead and it's not coming back , ever . The docs are making some great progress with new types of repairs - I'm holding out as long as I can and let them test it out on others and see how long term repairs hold up , very interested in some of the new cement procedures and now they are working on different types of artificial disks - even better !

Sarge

After hearing 953 fans testimonial and yours ,I am getting worried.My left leg is numb and weak. I can't wait to talk to doctor on Monday and get MRI on Tuesday. I don't know what it's going to take to fix this but I have good medical ( thank God) because I am employed at a school system and paid sick leave. I am grateful to have that job and my heart goes out to all the people who have it rougher than me. I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers that you find relief. But in the meantime, I have been working in the garage today switching between sitting and standing. The weather is nice and warm enough to do some painting. I finished disassembling the trans and gave it a good cleaning with the wire cup and cleansed it in the parts washer. I left the shift forks in since I felt there would be no reason to remove them. Everything else is out. The back of the case has marks from the ring gear . Anybody have a clue as to why? I took advantage of the temps and painted it. Here are some pics.

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

• Like 2

slim67

after looking further at wear marks at back of trans case, im thinking the bronze bushings inside the carrier have worn excessively ? allowing enough play for ring gear to hit case? 

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

bronze bushings inside the carrier have worn

:text-yeahthat:      I saw one so far gone the axle housing that holds the bushing was half worn through, had to ad a bit of shim stock behind the new bushing.

slim67
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:      I saw one so far gone the axle housing that holds the bushing was half worn through, had to ad a bit of shim stock behind the new bushing.

I pressed out the old bushings in the carrier and am looking for replacements. The bushings in the axle tubes looked decent but I would replace them to if I can find them. I reading through the threads on the #5010s. Im hoping they arent going be hard to find. What do you think?

Hacksawhero123

Slim, prayers and best of luck to you. I dealt with the same issue for years, developed the narcotic addiction, and all the fun stuff. In 2013 I had a fusion at L4/L5. Recovery was a bit rough. Physical therapist probably used to work for the KGB. After rehab for the pills, I'm clean, sober, and pretty active and productive. A word of advice, ask around and find the best surgeon around. Oh, BC Powder in the green box for arthritis helps a lot. Best of luck. 

Mark. 

IMG_1548.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

Have you read over the "Save a three piece" thread, I think Steve had parts sources in it. If not you could PM him and get lots of help.

slim67
36 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Slim, prayers and best of luck to you. I dealt with the same issue for years, developed the narcotic addiction, and all the fun stuff. In 2013 I had a fusion at L4/L5. Recovery was a bit rough. Physical therapist probably used to work for the KGB. After rehab for the pills, I'm clean, sober, and pretty active and productive. A word of advice, ask around and find the best surgeon around. Oh, BC Powder in the green box for arthritis helps a lot. Best of luck. 

Mark. 

IMG_1548.JPG

37 minutes ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

Mark. 

IMG_1548.JPG

Thanks Mark. I hope it doesnt come to surgery but Ill cross that bridge when I come to it. I had an epidural of cortisone about 5 years ago for pain from bulging disc and it worked immediately. That is an option my doctor said.

30 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Have you read over the "Save a three piece" thread, I think Steve had parts sources in it. If not you could PM him and get lots of help.

I did find a great link here to cross reference for parts and the bronze bushings are available for carrier and axle tubes as well as seals. thanks for your help.

ohiofarmer

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=polycarbide+abrasive+wheel

I really like these abrasive wheels for stripping paint off the large areas like hoods and such. I also use them on smaller areas, but be careful and do not get the wheel caught on projections. it really cuts down on time with the sandblaster and really leaves the metal smooth. On our tractors the wheels do not seem to gum up. I used one on a  12 gallon portable air tank and the thing was paint free in a half hour

I use a serrated sanding disc to polish out weld splatter  http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=flap+disc

The whole idea is to avoid the deep scratches you often see by using 36 grit sandpaper discs

Anyway, it might be worth your time to try them to supplement your sandblaster

• Like 1

slim67
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=polycarbide+abrasive+wheel

I really like these abrasive wheels for stripping paint off the large areas like hoods and such. I also use them on smaller areas, but be careful and do not get the wheel caught on projections. it really cuts down on time with the sandblaster and really leaves the metal smooth. On our tractors the wheels do not seem to gum up. I used one on a  12 gallon portable air tank and the thing was paint free in a half hour

I use a serrated sanding disc to polish out weld splatter  http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=flap+disc

The whole idea is to avoid the deep scratches you often see by using 36 grit sandpaper discs

Anyway, it might be worth your time to try them to supplement your sandblaster

I have a 4-1/2 inch zirconia 80 grit flap disc on my hand grider for cleaning metal before and after welding and they work great. I also have an air right angle die grinder with scotchlock pads for little areas that I want to polish up. I have good luck with the wire cup but will be back to HF soon and will check out the wheels you are mentioning. Lots of alternatives to sandblasting out there. Thanks for the info. Nice to E-meet another Ohio guy.

slim67

I finished the gear box and am ready to move onto the side covers. I hope to be reassembling this very soon thanks to Redsquare.

IMG_0386.JPG

• Like 2

slim67

Here's a K91R on a snowblower just like a two wheel Chief walk behind I had years ago. The guy wants 225 for the unit. It has the reduction box mounted on the side which I believe can be removed so you can use engines output shaft instead.

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

Edited by slim67

Howie

If the Kohler is like any other engine with the gear reduction box you will need a different crank. All I have seen have a

short explained shaft. Have not pulled one of the Kohlers apart so I could be wrong on this.:)

• Like 1

slim67
38 minutes ago, Howie said:

If the Kohler is like any other engine with the gear reduction box you will need a different crank. All I have seen have a

short explained shaft. Have not pulled one of the Kohlers apart so I could be wrong on this.:)

I removed the reduction box off the Kohler I had for some reason but I dont remember what the shaft length was as that was 20 years ago. What you are saying probably holds true since the engine was specd for the box. I am guessing that the R in K91R could stand for reduction? I will probably not be going with a K91 unless I buy the other tractor from the guy I got this one from. I havent got to that point yet. Maybe I can stuff a Vanguard in there ! Good point on your post Howie.

slim67

I had time to get the side covers cleaned up and primered. All seals,bearings and bushings have been removed. Overall I am pretty confident that this trans will be reusable for pull cart  but Im not planning on any severe duty stuff. The trans gears are all in good shape and there was no rust inside the case when I opened it. Previous pics show heavy oil sludge coating everything even though there was some water when I drained it. The worst thing . I noticed is some chipped teeth on the ring gear,a couple of the spider gears and one of the axle gears while disassembling the diff for inspection.This trans has been repaired at some point in its life maybe even rebuilt? There is signs of axle tube weld build up on one cover. You got appreciate the fact that 57 years ago a guy like one of us assembled this thing with very basic parts and technology and its lasted to this day. Made in the USA !

side covers.jpg

• Like 1

slim67

I finally got the rest of my non-sheet metal parts primered and painted over the last few days. Next is the hood,firewall and seat.

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, slim67 said:

Maybe I can stuff a Vanguard in there

Lotsa guys stuff a $99 HF motor in there too just to make it go &  for some noise.

slim67
1 minute ago, WHX9 said:

Lotsa guys stuff a $99 HF motor in there too just to make it go &  for some noise.

You got it! I have a 6.5 on my logsplitter and it does fine. Unless I find something else,the predator is likely what I will put in it. Im keeping my fingers crossed a good k91 will come my way.

WHX??

Really nothing wrong with doing that till a K91 falls out of the sky! :lol:

slim67
1 hour ago, WHX9 said:

Really nothing wrong with doing that till a K91 falls out of the sky! :lol:

Good little engines. The one I had started on first pull everytime with a pull rope.