98layinframe

1986 414 suddenly wont start now. HELP!

98layinframe

I haven't had a single issue out of my tractor since the engine rebuild 3 years ago, then just the other week I went out to the shed to start it and bam... wont fire.  It cranks over just fine, and if I spray starting fluid in the carb it fires right up then dies the second the starter fluid is gone.   I pulled the gas line off the inline fuel filter and opened the tank petcock... gas came running out.   pulled the gas line off the carb and cranked it over, the pump seemed to spit a little gas up about an inch into the air in little pulses... so I assume thats working still. 

Is there something that just goes bad with the carb right away in 2 weeks time?   Any ideas or tricks to try would be greatly appreciated!!!!

pfrederi

Probably needs a cleaning but Pump should shoot a bit more than an inch

AMC RULES

Battery fully charged? 

Eric Friedrichsen

If you have spark at the plug then tap the carburetor body LIGHTLY with a ball pein hammer where the fuel line connects to the carb body.  I have had experience with the fuel inlet needle sticking closed and not permitting fuel to enter the carburetor.  The fuel pump is very low pressure and not able to overcome the sticking needle.  If the tapping solves the problem and the situation reoccurs I would recommend you replace the needle and seat or if you are able to machine it that would also work.

Eric Friedrichsen

wallfish
15 minutes ago, 98layinframe said:

Is there something that just goes bad with the carb right away in 2 weeks time? 

Water in the carb bowl. :think:   Horrible ethanol gas

can whlvr

could be a stuck float too,its not seious if it runs on starter fluid,dont use too much starter fluid in her,use gas in a spray bottle to see if you can get her going

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Horrible ethanol gas

Like John said, ethanol will eat rubber products and can congeal into little gobs of goo in your carb. Go to buyrealgas.com on the internet to find a station that sells non-ethanol gas. Probably need to get a kit and clean up the carburetor too.

98layinframe

thanks guys, Yeah I was kinda a afraid to open up the carb as I'm not all that familiar with them... but probably what I'll have to do.

As for the pump only spitting out an inch or so.  Thats at cranking speed, Id assume it will pump more while running?

I gotta get this old girl running again and soon!  The obvious things like cutting grass and hauling dirt around are over due... but also have the applefest fall festival coming up in a month and will need the old girl to haul the trailer around.

wrightorchid

The ethanol can gum up the fuel lines, so it might be a good idea to replace, from the tank to the motor, and add a new filter.  You can also get an orange goo that grows in the water/fuel that can clog the carbs also.  Always use non-ethanol (AKA marine gas) in anything other than your car.

Rob R

Agree with the Carb needs cleaning, pump sounds fine to me. When you get the carb clean use 2-3 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in every other tank fill and your problems will be history.....

98layinframe

mystery Oil in the fuel.. Really!?!? 

Hossenfeffa
28 minutes ago, 98layinframe said:

mystery Oil in the fuel.. Really!?!? 

Oh heck yeah!

Abe01

If a carb rebuild  is not something your comfortable with, put a splash of sea foam in your tank shake the tractor some to mix it up, crank it a few times and then wait about an hour and try again. Repeat trying to start it about once an hour a few times, I have had good luck with this in the past, after I get them started I try to run the whole tank through to help flush the carb.

• Like 1

98layinframe

I still have yet to find time to work on my old girl. :(   Im confused though how while the fuel line is disconnected the gas pours out of the line, but the second I hook it back up, nothing flows out of the clear filter bowl... like its not sucking anymore?  Do these fuel pumps just randomly loose suction?  Do they require a prime?

Before I tear the carb off, I'm going to make a temporary fuel tank, plumb it into the carb, and hold it above so it gravity feeds in.  Guess that will tell me if its a carb issue or a fuel pump issue. 

• Like 2

98layinframe

well good news... its not the carb!! sweeet!

I ended up draining the tank and pulling the filter fuel line plug thing off... which might of been clogged, not sure.  with the fuel line hanging discconnected at the fuel filter (down behind the engine close to the frame) it still didnt flow out of the tank which surprised me. reconnected everything and blew compressed air thru the end of the line by the filter and it had no issues.  Connected the lines back up... crank crank crank crank. hmmm  Then pulled the line off the carb and filled it with gas... basically priming the pump i assume.   Sprayed a little starting fluid in, and bam she was running and stayed running!   I assuming this means it was a combo of my filters where possibly clogged and the fuel pump is getting weaker / going bad?

any recommendations on where to buy a pump, or a rebuild kit?

• Like 1