kuntryquesttsi

New Member with questions

kuntryquesttsi

I'm a new member here from the USA. I recently acquired a 80s C-145 auto. Pretty decent shape that needs some TLC . My problem is once the mower get warm it doesn't want to run with a load on. either the deck or the trans and certainly not both. It does smoke a bit so I'm assuming it needs rings or valve seals. its a 14 hp kohler cast iron motor . are parts for these still available ? anyone have an issue like this? Thanks in advance !

• Like 1

slammer302

I would give it the Kohler treatment plan clean carb replace points and condenser new fuel line and filter.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:    Before you do anything major try a few simple things. If you are using gas with ethanol switch to ethanol free. Buy a new spark plug and air filter. Also do what slammer said. Pick up a can of SeaFoam carburetor cleaner spray and with the engine running at half  throttle spray it into the air intake several times. These simple steps can give new life to a tired engine.

• Like 2

kuntryquesttsi

I'll give it a try.  New ethanol free 93,  lines and filter was my first job,  pulled the bowl off the carb and it was rather clean.  I'm suspecting a spark issue so I'll have to look into some new parts for that. Thanks! 

• Like 1

raider9

An easy way to check spark is to pull the rubber boot back and hold the end of the spark plug wire

about a 1/4 inch or so away from the spark plug, and then turn the tractor over with the key. You should see a

bright blue/white spark jump the gap if everything is right. Be careful not to touch anything except the insulated

part of the wire or else you'll feel the spark. 

Tonyp

Obviously  the above info is spot on, clean the carb, new spark plug and check the fuel,start with the motor in the best shape it can be in !  Do you have a new fuel line and filter ? 

Fuel with ethanol is the worst, use the additive in your gas storage containers, it will help the issue.  

Under load, if the carb is not set properly for HI speed adjust and  Low idle, this can happen, remove the needle adjusts , (but first turn them all the  way in  softly and count the turns ) then back them all the way out.  Be sure they are not damaged, clean them, spray the carb body and needle ports before inserting the cleaned needles. Set them to the number of turns you counted before removing, 1 + 1/2 is probably close. On the Hi speed adjust, for more fuel, turn the needle CCW,  Let it run and warm up,  turn the needle  in a tad, then OUT a tad, you will hear it run smoother or bog. Don't assume the carb is set correctly, different  gas with ethanol will cause havoc. 

Also Under load, also be certain the deck pulleys  are not creating any excessive drag. If the motor is tired, a BAD pulley with worn bearings can also  contribute.    

good luck ! 

Edited by Tonyp