Rob.A.700

Charger 12

Rob.A.700

I have known about this tractor for some time and salvaged several parts off it over the years. As of yesterday i came into possession of it. Rescuing it from where it sat behind a pole barn forgotten. I have set about trying to get it to run with little success. some times I have spark some times I don't (it has the mag ignition) and I cringe when i have to move it i cannot get the tow valve to move. Its defiantly a project. pics and updates to come. (any tips and info apreciated not much mag/ hydro experience :think:)20160911_101441.jpg

Edited by Rob.A.700
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Mag ignitions have point.  i would start by cleaning them (or replacing) and gap to .020.  Mag ignition spark plug gap is only .025.  also disconnect the kill wire from the mag terminal on the switch (it may be faulty and grounding it when it shouldn't be.  (note; if she runs you will have to short the plug to stop her)  If you get some spark that is a good sign...most times mags work or they do not work at all.

Edit; Condensers are cheap get a new one

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

Rob.A.700

Update!! I managed to get the tow valve to move so now I can move it around without issue. then with some points filing a pilfered condenser and alot of frustration the engine coughed back into life. Some new parts condenser, points, spark plug, carb kit... it should run like a champ

• Like 5

Rob.A.700

Update #2 I rebuilt the carb got a new set of points and condenser. Put it all together and made the preliminary adjustments and with little help she sprang back to life. moved closed the tow valve and toyed with the motion control lever it grumbled with little movement. Toyed with the tow valve once again and she took right off this time! I then leveled off on that project to tackle another (off topic) pulling the transmission on my 655 due to leaking axle seals :tools-wrench:

• Like 6

CasualObserver

Congrats! Always a nice feeling to wake up a sleeping one!

• Like 2

pfrederi

Since it sat for along time a hydro fluid/filter change would be a good idea before you operate very much.  No point circulating dirty fluid.

• Like 1

Rob.A.700
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Since it sat for along time a hydro fluid/filter change would be a good idea before you operate very much.  No point circulating dirty fluid.

I plan on it along with some fresh motor oil

Rob.A.700

New fluids and tires that hold air and...20160917_181625.jpg20160917_181238.jpghave some videos as well but it takes forever to post them 

Edited by Rob.A.700
  • Like 6

Wheel-N-It

Nice tractor Rob:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Takes mere seconds to upload your videos to a your free Youtube account...   :handgestures-thumbsup:

once the video is done processing there, simply cut and paste the video URL into your post here. 

Simple process makes posting :wh: videos here so much easier.     :popcorn:

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

with some prompting from @AMC RULES:teasing-poke: and the joy of how simple my new phone makes some things here are the videos:P

• Like 2

AMC RULES

WOW...she started off slow...

then put the hammer down.  :auto-layrubber:

Like doin' hot laps at Indy...she was. 

Cool vids Rob.  :text-thankyoublue:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Looks and sounds like it will make you a good tractor for a long time Rob. It seems really solid !

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

Update... when they run that good they dont run that good for long... I loaded it on to a trailer to go to a show today and it ran great, went to unload it, it started and when I throttled up it cut out, and I couldnt get it to stay running when I tried again. The starter started making a new sound as well... Looked at it tonight I believe the fuel pump has had it along with the starter...:deadhorse:

953 nut

:text-imsorry:

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

Update: it wasnt the fuel pump:think: (side note the conversion to a brigs vacuum pump works well) so i took a gander at the points and didn't see much for spark so just to check and see I wired up a coil and once again it sprang back to life. So it looks like some rewiring and a new key switch will be in order:bitch:

Edited by Rob.A.700