GlenPettit

New future concept from CASE is here

GlenPettit

• Like 7

Mike'sHorseBarn

Interesting concept! Imagine if the GPS receiver quits working and that thing goes Rogue!

• Like 3

KC9KAS

A lot of the farmers around here use GPS controlled machines to plant their corn & beans.

BUT, most of them still sit in the drivers seat!

tunahead72

Definitely interesting, but to me only in a theoretical kind of way.  I still REALLY enjoy driving my own tractors, thank you.  I also enjoy driving my own car and truck, what exactly is the point of a vehicle that drives itself?

Besides, what Mike says is almost a certainty.  You just know at some point we're going to read about an autonomous tractor gone wrong in the newspaper some day.

• Like 1

r356c

I thought this little one looked promising for hobby farm size crops.

No GPS, it uses lidar for row following and turning around at the end of the row.

The sensors borrowed from the self driving cars are going to provide a huge boost for this class of field robot.

The automotive guys will drive the vision and lidar sensor costs down in short order.

Edit: Well, that did not take too long. Cheap lidar for everyone! "LeddarTech is a spin-off of Canada's leading optics and photonics institute, INO."

8 detection zones in this version with more to come, the 250 meter detection range is impressive. Unaffected by direct sunlight, rain and snow. 10 years of R&D. No moving parts. Well worth watching.

Edited by r356c
  • Like 1

Abe01

Catterpillar has been working on this technology for years. When I worked there we saw several videos of mines that were basically autonomys, it was terrifying to me lol. You know the big Rock trucks on gold diggers? The ones in the video were quite a bit larger just imagine if something that heavy with that much power, weight, and speed got loose......it is amazing technology though it send's all kinds of data to a server and honestly should cut down on mining accidents. I have never worked for a company so concerned about safety....

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Sorry guys--I can't help but thinking of the original "Terminator" films when I see machines like this or the "Google cars".  I remember how ludicrous it seemed in the mid '80's that machines could have the technology to operate on their own.  Boy, a lot has changed since then!

RMCIII

No - better yet, just plant a virus in the tractor, and you got this:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Classic!  I had forgotten about that film. Another man vs machine adventure...:auto-dirtbike:

• Like 1