Pfmet

Tractor won't move

Pfmet

Good day all. My first post in my efforts to get into a vintage Horse that will have to work for its keep. I've found a Raider 12 6 speed that won't move and in browsing the tranny forum have found many refersences to broken hub keys or drive, pulley keys as potential culprits. I believe what I read implied that a broken hub key will stop the tractor dead yet I don't see how one sheared key causes the axle to stop turning . And wouldn't the other wheel keep driving? I'm missing something big here obviously. I will keep reading and browsing but I'm not finding my answer here. That would be a great find as replacing keys sounds easy enough. The ad also says a ball joint keeps falling out. Are the parts required to keep a Raider 12 going readily available. The  motor is an M12 which I guess is basically the K301 with electronic ignition which most posts say is a fine motor. This tractor comes with a mower deck which needs work, a 48" plow, wights, chains. They're asking $500 which seems high for a not moving tractor with the wheels falling off. But would this be a comfortable starting point reasonably competent mechanic at the right price, say $300. I know that guestion is subjective but I may be needing advice as well as encouragement if I move forward into any Horse in the future. Thank you to all respondents and I hope all your projects are going well. Happy Labor Day, Peter

pfrederi

The engine is a replacement not the original but M12 are excellent motors.  The tranny should be a 5073 which was limited slip, howwever over time an use the spring that makes it work can get tired.  If the spring is tired then yes a sherd hub key will immobilize you.  A sheared input key will do the same.  Jack up the rear end and try turning one wheel.  if the limited slip is still partly functioning the other wheel will turn the same way.  if it doesn't turn or turns the opposite direct the spring is done.  However most of the WHs did not have that limited slip effect and yours will work fine for normal use with out it functioning. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:    I presume from your posting that you have not actually tested the :wh: yet. With a tractor that has problems you do have some negotiating room. You may find that the high/low shifter is between gears. Could be a broken belt. If an axle key is broken you will see the axle turning inside the hub, the differential will deliver power to the point of least resistance. Give it a close inspection and give us a bit more information to go on.

Pfmet

Thank you for your replies. I've got questions for the seller before I drive three hours to look at it but if I do something drastic you'll hear about it. And thank you gentlemen for your service! 🇺🇸

• Like 2

DougC

Good luck with the :wh: Pfmet. Let us know how it turns out!  :)

KC9KAS

:WRS:

moe1965
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The engine is a replacement not the original but M12 are excellent motors.  The tranny should be a 5073 which was limited slip, howwever over time an use the spring that makes it work can get tired.  If the spring is tired then yes a sherd hub key will immobilize you.  A sheared input key will do the same.  Jack up the rear end and try turning one wheel.  if the limited slip is still partly functioning the other wheel will turn the same way.  if it doesn't turn or turns the opposite direct the spring is done.  However most of the WHs did not have that limited slip effect and yours will work fine for normal use with out it functioning. 

Is the spring a internal part in the trans?

Pfmet

Hello Moe1965, the spring is a band inside the diff . There are some good threads on the LS diff which you'll have to search out yourself as I lost track of them. There is also a manual on 1968 Transmissions in the manuals section that covers the 5073  and the 5060. LS trannys. I've only perused them quickly myself. Hope you find what you need. I guess these "springs" are NLA and the doffs operate find as open doffs when the spring finally gives it up. At least this is what l gleaned from various posts I've read. See pfrederi's post above.

moe1965
20 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Is the spring a internal part in the trans?

2 hours ago, Pfmet said:

Hello Moe1965, the spring is a band inside the diff . There are some good threads on the LS diff which you'll have to search out yourself as I lost track of them. There is also a manual on 1968 Transmissions in the manuals section that covers the 5073  and the 5060. LS trannys. I've only perused them quickly myself. Hope you find what you need. I guess these "springs" are NLA and the doffs operate find as open doffs when the spring finally gives it up. At least this is what l gleaned from various posts I've read. See pfrederi's post above.

I guess this what I'm experiencing with my trans it is a 5073. It works fine but if I take the tires off and grab both axles I can turn one and hold the other one from turning and I feel I'm guessing the gears slip over one another.  Is this because those springs are starting to fail?    Thanks for your responses jk

pfrederi

The "spring" is really an almost circle of flat spring steel that rides inside the differential.  As mentioned above if the spring is weak the differential just functions perfect;y well as an open type.

pfrederi

The "spring" is really an almost circle of flat spring steel that rides inside the differential.  As mentioned above if the spring is weak the differential just functions perfect;y well as an open type.