Cadmandu

M12 verses the K301

Cadmandu

This is still engine related question. If you want to buy a tractor for plowing snow up a decent grade, what is the suggested HP?

1) What weight wheel weights?

2) Can you use AG tires with chains?

3) Are AG tires good in snow?

4) Should you buy a manual transmission?

Thanks

wallfish

An 8 hp will easily push snow (that's what I use now). Used to push it with a 6hp so engine size for pushing snow is not a big deal. But consider something larger if you plan to use a large deck or snow blower.

1) 50 lbs or above. fill tires if possible and as heavy weights as you can find.

2) you can but chains work better on turfs

3) they do work but not near as good as chains but they don't do any surface damage either. (probably not to good for pushing up hill)

4) I like manuals but it's more of a preference thing.

5) Wrap front tires with #40 roller chain for turning traction.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Hossenfeffa

Alot of the later magnum engines had a fixed jet carburetor. I know some of the 16 horse magnum engines with the fixed jet carbs were supposed to be speed limited to 3400 rpm's by the governor setting, some actually saying that they were actually only 14 horse set up that way. Wheelhorse kohlers used crankcase vacuum operated fuel pumps. Electric pumps are just sometimes easier and cheaper as a replacement pump. All these cat iron Kohlers are splash lubricated. Even the ones that the garden tractor pullers are revving to 7 thousand rpm's!

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Wallfish, and my German friend, thanks for all the great answers.

1) 50 lbs each side?

2) Do u need a special tire to fill with a liquid, what liquid and how?

3) Will I damage my asphalt drive way with chains and a blade?

4) What r roller chains

Hossenfeffa:

1) I like the looks of the K301 so I will stick with the 85/86 312-8 still looking for one.How far back did the go?

2) Did the older carbs actually have adjustable needle jets like Kehin Carbs on my Honda Magna?

3) If you remove the vacuum fuel pump where do you mount the electric pump? Where do you get one? Any 12 vdc fuel pump do?

4) That splash lube design seems dangerous on hills. I have a steep back yard is it better to go up or across?

Thanks guys great info hear.

pfrederi

At least 50lbs per side

You can fill the tire with RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) windshield washer fluid, rim guard (aka beet juice..hard to find)  You could add calcium chloride to water and use that like farmers did for years but i would no recommend it as it is highly corrosive .  No special tire required

Chains will mess up your asphalt if you spin the wheels.  if you have a steep driveway use ag tires and only plan on plowing downhill.  There are rubber chains available.

#40 roller chain (looks like bicycle chain)

Electric pumps push better than they pull so mount it near the tank .  Pick one with 4psi or less.

chain.JPG

wallfish

Use the search in the upper right and search "plowing snow", "wheel weights", "tire chains", "filling tires". You will get plenty of results with lots of information and opinions which will help you decide on what the best application is for you and your situation.

I switched from AG tires only to turfs with chains a couple years ago. Stuck with AGs when the asphalt driveway was new but have no issue using chains on it now. So far, chains have caused no damage except for the temporary scrape marks.

Here's an example of the roller chain on the front tires. Some prefer tri-rib tires but for $20-$25, you can't beat the performance of the roller chains.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61344-tractor-front-end/#comment-569529

• Like 1

WHX??

There are a couple of threads here on loading the tires so you should check them out. I know @squonk did a nice one. You can get a fill :thingy: from TSC or auto stores. Chains can leave marks on the blacktop as they did mine but I think I got a bad mix on my asphalt. I see John beat me to the search advice.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I used double link Vee bar chains on turf tires on my plow and blower tractors for years and with enough weight, they are unstoppable in snow on the stone road, but they do scuff up the top coating leaving marks on the blacktop and the chains provide very little traction on a bare concrete or blacktop driveway,

Last year I bought a 312H that came with the rubber chains and I was amazed at the traction they provided while plowing snow and they grip better than the steel chains on the bare driveway.

WHX??

I have a set of the double v bars on my quad plow setup but they would turn my drive to gravel again. Missus has conniptions when I even gingerly cross the drive with them. I am on the fence about the rubber ones Ed but the other guys say good things about them too.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sounds like Missus Santa would get you a set of rubber chains if they show up on Jims Christmas list.

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Love the rubber chain idea. How about the blade will it scrap the driveway. I just paid 335.00 to have it sealed looks real nice.

oldredrider

I use rubber chains on my GT-14. No more scarring the asphalt. Also have loaded rear tires @ 100# each plus 130# of wheel weights. 

No, as long as your driveway is flat (no root lifts), the blade shouldn't mark it up.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I have never seen any blade marks on mine... only the steel chains when a wheel spins. And they spin pretty easily on a bare driveway, especially when you  are trying to back up an incline with the blower raised taking a lot of the weight off the rear wheels.

• Like 1

Cadmandu

I am a fan of the rubber chains and a rubber blade strip mounted on the bottom of the blade. Some guys at work today told me about this. Please advise. Also, a 36" blade with a 12 hp rubber chains and 50 lbs wheel weights should work I weigh 252 in shorts that should work pretty well. I am 6' 4" do they have WH with a long frame and seat adj that would fit me better?

Ed Kennell

I was using a 48" blade on my 312 with the rubber chains on new turf tires.  I had  50lb weights on each wheel, 178 lbs in the seat and 250 lbs on the rear weight rack. 

Like I said, I was amazed at the traction this provided.    I think when the wheel starts to slip, the rubber strap rolls slightly causing the edge to dig in sort of like a cut tread in a pulling tractor tire.   I have never used a rubber or plastic scraper bar on my plows.  There are some threads on here addressing this....do a search for "scraper bar".

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Thanks Ed, I did find your post about using truck bed liners, but the scraper bar search seems to have snow blower related stuff more than snow blades. Is this plow worth 250.00?

00W0W_7fgcE0y0t9h_600x450.jpg

Cadmandu

is this a good buy/

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/5744054685.html

this is a 312 - 8
That is not hydrostatic,  3 foward 1 reverse with a hi and lo range.
524 hours is on the meter
We sold this tractor new in 1988 . we had a dealership then.
It is not original paint.  The tractor was torn down to the frame and the hood and fenders were primed and painted.   Any repairs were accomplished by a wheel horse dealer mechanic that is kohler certified.
This engine doesnt smoke.
it has a  kohler magnum engine,  12 hp engine with a 37 inch deck on it.  i'm located between Evans city and Prospect if you care to look at it
i have the original dealer inventory card that we used for dealer warranty if needed.  

Ed Kennell

$150 -$200 is the current asking price for plows in my area.  I sell axle brackets for $30-35.    So $250 is a reasonable retail price for the plow and bracket in that condition,  although I would offer $200.

I am not sure what the bagger adds to the value but $850 seems a little too high for the 312, but if it truly was restored properly and it is what you want for a good working tractor, It is probably a good value compared to spending $12-1500 for one of the box store junkers.

A lot of the value of this equipment depends on what you plan to do with it.  

I paid $650 20 years ago for my first WH..a C-120 with deck and plow.    I bought it to use and still use it today.

I would not pay that today because now  I don't need another worker and I only buy tractors for parts or to resell.

The other extreme, last fall I paid $1650 for  312H with the intention of reselling it.  It came with a NOS 42" deck , fully loaded cab ,new tires, wheel weights, rubber chains, and custom rear weight rack.    The tractor did not sell for the price I needed but a lot of people wanted the cab and deck which I sold for $600 each and I kept the tractor as a plow.

Edited by Ed Kennell

pfrederi

Only if it is a 48" plow (not a 42) and if it holes 5 holes in the angle selector sector.

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Look what I bought today.

1988 312-8 Wheel Horse

Garden Tractor $850.00

9/10/2016

Serial #  41953                      Vin # 21-12K806

37” Mower Deck C side   Ser # 11805           Model # 0537SC01

11 cu ft SOIC Bagger          Ser# 61877            Model # 0711BC01

Magnum M12S       Spec # 471527          Model # 471527   Serial # 1911409203

48” Snow Blade and rubber scraper   $250.00

The blade will be here today and the tractor the middle of next week. Under 600 hrs on the meter. I am excited and he gave me a 48" chunk of rubber 1" thick and 4" wide for the blade. The blade is in the above pic. The link is up a few under is this a good buy. Runs strong, starts easy shift great

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

Ed Kennell

Looks good.   Are those head light bezels chrome?

Cadmandu

Not sure, and it is not here to check. By the way it is a 1989 21-12k806.

It is almost leaf season this bagger will be great I have 6 weeks of leaf blowing and tarping 3 hrs each week.

Now I can ride and smile. Here is my rubber for the blade.

IMG_0064.JPG

Cadmandu

I am one of the boys now. I will be needing new tires for my 89 312-8

23 x 9.5 x 12

15 x 6.0 x 6

Where is a good place to buy and what brand?

How do you mount them?

We have a Tractor Supply

Since I am buying rubber chains should i buy turf tires only?

Can you put bigger and wider on the rear?

https://www.amazon.com/TerraGrips-Tire-Chains-23x10-5-12-ST90008/dp/B009SMU9MK

http://www.greenpartstore.com/Terra-Grip-23x10.5-12-Rubber-Traction-Belts-ST90008.html

These rubber tire chains, also known as Anti-Scratch Traction Aids, or ASTA, were developed in Pennsylvania in 1987, so they've been around a little while. You've probably never heard of them because they've never been marketed very heavily. They are currently hand crafted by J Esh Manufacturing in New Providence, PA and are sold in the United States and Canada.

Thanks

1989 312-8 Wheel Horse.docx

Edited by Cadmandu

Wheel-N-It

Congratulations on the new purchase. You will be amazed at what the 312-8 is capable of. It's the Wheel Horse I started with and my all around favorite.

I am not qualified to advise you on what tires to use for plowing snow but if you want wider, then try to find the wider rear wheels from a 520. They will bolt right up. 

pfrederi

Rubber chains will work best on turfs

Mounting...yu can take then to a tire place but by the time they demount the old and put on the new you will be at probably $10/tire.

I bought one of these Harbor freight devices years ago and have used it many, many times.  Not the best made tool in the world and I have bent some of it but it still gets the job done.  (They have frequent coupon deals could be cheaper.)

tire.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1