bgh5469

Garage build foundation monolithic or footings

bgh5469

Hey guys wanted to get some opinions on my upcoming detatched dream garage build. I am planning to have 24x28 garage built for my hobbie shop(wheel horses and cars). My question is what kind of foundation should i do. I am in northern indiana and have been told i can build on a monolithic slab(thickened structural slab on grade) or traditional footings with a floating slab. My local building code allows both types for detached structures.  I  prefer footings since they get below the frost line but they are significantlying more expensive. Does anyone have any past experience with a monolithic slab foundations. I don't want to cheap out on my foundation, but if i go with footings I will have give up some other features I wanted.

rjg854

I built a 24X28 2 story pole barn with a floating slab concrete floor back in '03, I've never had a problem with the concrete floor if that's what you're worried about. Saved lot of money by not having to dig footers. I'm in upstate NY and we get some cold winters.  So that might be another possibility for you.DSCF0107.JPGDSCF0114.JPG

• Like 6

stevasaurus

I like the footing way best.  I suppose both are good, and both can crack also.  The issue with me...getting below the frost with a footing is important where we both are...and critters will not dig down enough to get under the footings.  Ground hogs will tunnel your whole slab out.  My Dad has the slab, and he spent days in a lawn chair with an air riffle trying to out smart that rodent.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 5

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: I had a 46'x56' pole building in northern Indiana with a floating slab and never had a problem except for what Steve mentioned. :ranting:

With a pole structure the posts are below the frost line. Obviously with a frame structure you need the footers. Whatever you decide I wouldn't let the cost be the only deciding factor.

Nice building Ranger :thumbs:

• Like 3

SPINJIM

Results depend a little on your soil conditions.  I have a 24 x 30 pole barn on a slab, and have not had problems with cracking, but the soil has allowed the whole slab to settle and inch or two, and below ground level on one side..   That has allowed water to seep in under the sill plate during heavy rain or melting snow.   So just make sure your slab is far enough above ground level, and on well compacted soil & crushed stone.   You'll be fine with the slab.

I also keep a Remington .22 handy for those ground hogs.  They like to undermine the slab.

Jim

• Like 2

ACman

Definitely footers are the way to go. Even with a pole barn I'd pour a rat wall , just to keep them critters out . 

My neighbor said he'd seen a woodchuck out back . Told him make sure to checkout around his pole barn . His barn only has concrete on one half . Well that critter made himself a nice little home under the slab inside of the barn . Came in under the rear sliding door on dirt side . 

If you want want to live trap , wrap the trap with a tarp so it looks like a tunnel .

I would have to say woodchucks (groundhogs) are on the top of any farmers hit list !

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

953 nut

If you can get a track hoe with a 12" bucket to trench down to below the frost line and form and pour a monolithic slab on grade you will have the best of both worlds, only be paying for a little more concrete and steel. If any fill is needed use clean gravel to avoid settling. Be sure the vapor barrier goes down the inside of the trench several inches too.

• Like 4

DougC

Which ever you decide on use re-rod and not wire in the floor. I went the cheap fill route and poured 6 inches of concrete with re-rod and the floor settled a few inches over the years. If I had used wire, it would have broken and I would have had to broken up the floor and started over. The rod held it together and just have cracks and a slope in the floor now, but it's still completely usable. Mine is a 28 by 30 pole barn with 12 foot side walls so I could put in an electric Rotary Hoist if I wanted to.  :)

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Footers below the frost line for sure and it will still move some. My wifes grandfather built on a slab years ago and I have to repoint 1 corner every few years. Just keeps settling a bit at a time. I think slabs are fine in more temperate zones but not so good in areas with severe temp changes.

• Like 2

Shynon

I built my 26x32 garage in 1993. I have 4" of concrete with wire mesh,with a 12x12 footing poured into the slab all the way around the perimeter with re rod imbedded into it. I also added one course of block on top of the slab, then built walls on top of the block. only have the normal concrete cracks. Poured on top of a gravel base. No problems with settling here.

• Like 3

rjg854

I've never had a problem with settling or woodchucks.  I'm built back into the woods and chucks are plentiful, I see them all the time.  There is 6" of runner crush limestone under the concrete, compacted, with a stone French drain around the perimeter for roof runoff.  The only crack in the concrete is where the wood stove was. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
20 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you can get a track hoe with a 12" bucket to trench down to below the frost line and form and pour a monolithic slab on grade you will have the best of both worlds, only be paying for a little more concrete and steel. If any fill is needed use clean gravel to avoid settling. Be sure the vapor barrier goes down the inside of the trench several inches too.

The only monolithic slab I ever did was for a family room in PA, in the suburbs of Phila. We still had to dig down just as deep as we would have for footers, the only thing we saved was labor to finish the footer and lay block to get the foundation above grade. And that may have been negated by having to build forms around the slab. You will also have to use foam insulation around the inside of the foundation and under the slab if it is ever to be used as living space. 

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I was part of a project that was a modified monolithic slab pour. the first lift of the pour was a 24 " footing that was poured extra thick  where the steel frame posts were located and 10 inches everywhere else. We had rebar as part of the footer that stuck uphigher than the pour to tie an outer perimeter 2x12" wood band to contain and level the top of the slab. We then put a 7/16" OSB apron that dropped down into the trench from the inside of the band to help contain the concrete/ the band was braced and kickered with 2X4 and metal stakes every 4 feet to keep it nice and straight. The second lift of the pour went about 6' from the top of the forms. The rebar did a beautiful job of maintaining the form height and the kickered stakes kept the top form straight and true.

The cool part of this project is that we embedded the drop apron about an inch into the footer to provide a seal to keep the concrete from filling the trench and then added backfill as we poured the wall and that saved having to build and brace a double sided form we did the same on the inside face and backfilled as we went. Of course the wall had steel and even properly located wire benches and bolts for the steel posts every 20 feet. We poured the walls within 6" of the slab top and then prepped for the floor by tying steel mats. I was the layout man and kept the project square and true. Really the rest of the guys were farmers with a whole bunch of common sense that took direction from me. It helped that the farmer who was the building owner told the older guys that I had the construction experience so there were no conflicts

The day of the 50X150 floor pour, we removed the mats from the middle of the building where the trucks ran and then restored them back as the trucks poured the slab. These finishers said that our perimeter was as straight, square and level as any they had seen for a while. They set fresh pads of wet concrete with a laser every so often and poured the concrete to the lasered points and could empty a truck in about 12 minutes Four hours to get the slab down. The deepest puddle of water on the finished slab was only an eighth of an inch and that is very level. Just amazing. So if you can set a footer and stem wall without the labor of building forms, it is the way to go.

• Like 1

bgh5469

Wow, Thanks everyone for all of the information and recommendations!  I agree with you guys that if you are doing a pole barn then a floating slab is the way to go.  Our plan was to build a traditional garage but maybe we should consider a pole barn design   The way my last concrete guy explained a monolithic foundation was as follows: They strip the top soil and dig a small perimeter trench and place crushed stone.  Then the concrete slab is placed thickened to 18" at the outer 1' of the perimeter and 6" thick at the center of the slab.  The entire slab would be reinforced with rebar and have cast in anchor bolts at the perimeter to bolt the walls down to the concrete. 

What bothers me about this is that building is above the frost line.  So drainage becomes really important because you don't water building up under the slab, freezing and heaving.

I found the attached picture on the web that shows the monolithic design.

Monoslab.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, bgh5469 said:

drainage becomes really important because you don't water building up under the slab

That is why you back-fill with clean gravel and have the perimeter grade beam extend below the frost line. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Travas
      By Travas
      Hello everone reading this. Im currently in the process of building a race mower out of a front engine 8-32 toro. It was sitting outside for the longest time because of a broken axle. It believe it has a vertiical 8 hp b&s that had running. Here is some some photos of it.  I put a bifferent transaxle in because it was spare one laying around. I put it on and it fits pretty well. Altho i had to remove all the clutch and shifter parts to get it in, but hey it works. I got a wheel on and tried getting the other off the axle it was on. So i put it in the press and tried for about a half hour before in popped loose. After that it took me about 15 mins and got it off. It was really  rusted on there! Put it on the transaxle to how it fits and looks. Now im in the process of drilling a hole the axle for the key in the wheels. Any suggestions or ideas? I will update this project when do some more work on it. 

• mmmmmdonuts
      By mmmmmdonuts
      I have approximately an 10x12 lean to shed attached to my house on the side of my side loading garage. I currently have a double door that is 6' wide by 6x10" high. The problem I am having is the door starting to fall apart. It is also framed very heavily with 2x6s. So I am currently looking to either do another double door or a garage door. Part of the reason the door is getting damaged in the first place is because water pools at the bottom of the door in the winter and freezes and I have to basically heat and or chisel the ice away. It is where I store my snowblower. 

My wife ruled out a sliding barn door and a roll up door mainly for appearance purposes.

I was starting to lean to a 8w x7h regular garage door but see a few cons. 

1) It would block the light when up. 
      2) I would lose quite of bit overhead storage and about 2 feet of wall space.
      3) There would be much more work reframing parts of the wall to fit the door.

Pros.
      1) I could fit my wheel horse plow and snowblower side by side. 
      2) Shouldn't freeze to the concrete as easily with a rubber seal. 
      3) Don't have to shovel out the doors to get the snowblower out. 

I was wondering what thoughts you guys had on and if I am missing something.

Thanks. 

• CasualObserver
      By CasualObserver
      I've been dreaming of a new shop space to work on tractors and generally store things at my house. We already had a three car garage on the house and could only fit one vehicle in it due to the large space that kids toys, bikes, zero turn mower, shelving and a workbench already occupied. Well.. that stuff and a few or so little garden tractors... but they don't take up that much space, right?   Anyway...  we'd been talking about building my dream shop for several years. We live on a large in-town parcel, so there's plenty of room, but as with most things, it comes down to when it can fit in the budget. I drew it up several times on the building designer at Menards dreaming of when we could go forward. Well, in the early 2017 we decided to go ahead with it, and I came up with my final layout plan.

We proceeded under the option of build the shell, and finish what we can later. We went over and over the list of things to do now and later. Things I wanted that had to be done now for sure were the rough in for the in-floor heat and the attic trusses. I had a contractor friend who would GC and frame it for me if I bought all the materials and he could do it on his own schedule. Yep, done. I figure I could have built it myself, but it would have taken most of the summer of every night and weekend, as well as the headaches of arranging the subs for the stuff I couldn't do, but if he could do it, and he has all the contacts/subs already... I'm money and time ahead to work some extra overtime and avoid the headaches.

The previous owners of our place had a gravel RV parking next to the house. The old poorly done timber walls were deteriorating and leaning with age.It was convenient for parking the trailer, and nice when the kids were little that we could park off the driveway so they could play, but every year inevitably it was always a weedy mess by mid-summer.

Step one, remove ugly timber wall.  Lucky for me my neighbor had an chainsaw with a garbage blade on it. He came over and we were able to cut the wall into 12 ft sections that we loaded on the trailer for the dump.

Next, met with our contractor friend to stake and mark it out. Since part of the goal was to reduce the amount of gravel, the equivalence of one car parking space was being removed and returned to grass on the left edge.

Then just before the excavator was to start work, the kids and I did a little groundbreaking for the big project.

Some gravel removed and sand base laid down and compacted.

Concrete guys laid the forms for me on a Friday night so I could lay the insulation and pex for the in-floor heat.

Like any kids, the call of the sand pile was irresistible.

Next day I had help to lay the insulation boards and pex. Might seem silly to see two people carrying these boards that weigh all of 2 lbs each... but notice all the pavers? I'd been hoping for good weather to do the insulation and pex..... what I got was great temperature, bright, sunny......and 25 mph sustained winds with 40-50 mph gusts. So.... two guys to carry each flippin' board and weight it down. Ugh.... made the process much longer.

Got the pex down, which went very smoothly. Three zones, stapled to the foam board.

Monday morning I get a call.... inspector won't pass it because there's no pressure test on the pex. Ugh. Nothing about that in our building code, but what am I going to do? Project can't go on without his initials. So... I build a pressure manifold, tie all three zones into one long line and charge it up.  Tues morning, concrete guys are onsite... inspector shows up and says ok.

By the time I get home from work, I have a new slab.  

Lumber pack shows up the day before the family and I are leaving for a week at the cabin. When I pulled out of driveway, construction was underway. We got a few progress pics through the weeks from various friends.

And I returned a week later to this.  Totally the best way to build a shop!  I was out of his way, he was out of mine... worked out perfectly.

I installed the overhead doors, had the electrician come and trench the electric over. Got the gas line roughed in for the boiler as well while the trench was open.

After that, the excavator came back with the final top dress for final grading.  

We bit the bullet and decided to go with sod right away. Even got the kids to help for a little while. Couple of neighbors (one of whom happens to be a professional landscaper) came over the chip in too, and three pallets later....

Now we're at slow progress time. I bought all the construction materials on a Menards 11% rebate, so once I got the rebate check I started to finish the interior. Got the vapor barrier up, and ceiling rocked with 12 foot 5/8" type x. 105 lbs each. Ugh. Thank God for drywall lifts, right!?

More rebate checks allowed for the insulation and rock for the walls.

Then we came to a complete standstill..... got enough stuff moved out of the house garage to get both the car and truck in for the winter, but with no heat and no ceiling insulation the shop was just a big storage box for winter.

Spring this year rolled around and prioritizing shop work made it to the list. I realized it's going to be much easier to get the interior done before I move in. So... started back at it. I got the floors masked off and got tape and mud done... then the girls helped me paint.

Did the floor with Rock Solid polycuramine kits from Menards... grey with flakes and a textured topcoat to make it less slippery if wet. This is a long and multi-stage process. First it required renting a diamond grinder and grinding off the curing sealer. Then powerwashing three times to remove all dust and debris.  The base coat went on, cured for a few days, and topcoated three days later. Then I let that cure for a week before moving in. It's supposed to be cured in 24 hours, but why rush it if not necessary?

Finally ready to move in.

Got some used kitchen cabinet take outs and installed them for the workshop area.

Really looking forward to getting stuff organized and cleaned up now.  It's totally a dream come true. Still have to buy and install the boiler and get the ceiling insulated... but those are things that can be worked around. Up until this point it's been much easier to have minimal stuff in the way.

If you made it all the way to the bottom, thanks for taking the time to read it.  Get more done, have more fun!!   

• leeave96
      By leeave96
      Need some recommendations on a new shed. I'm looking at putting up one of these metal buildings - I might have posted this link sometime back to the manufacturer's website, but here it is again:

http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/configurator/index

What I'd like to do is put up a building with two garage doors. There would be space equal to the width of the garage doors between the garage doors and the opposite sides of them. This would be on the long side of the building and descriptively is like this:

wall-space-door-space-door-space-wall

The idea is to put tractors, junk, pop-up camper, firewood, etc, to the extent possible out of the garage door lanes and that would be to either side of the two garage doors and the space between them.

So I have some questions:

- How tall should the building be? Nothing bigger than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck would in it.

- How deep (as you drive into it) is desirable? 20ft, 24ft - looking for some reasonable depth such that I can pull in a vehicle and yet not be so crowded that I can't work around it or even move a tractor around the end of it?

- how wide should be garage doors be? I'd like to get a full size truck through them without being so narrow that I'd smash a mirror.

- If you look at the website, they offer vertical or horizontal siding. I'm thinking vertical. Don't know if this is better for looks or strength or both. What you do think?

- I'd like to put this building on a concrete pad. Question is - how thick and what type - rebar or concrete with fiber or both.

This is just in the planning stage - not sure I'll do it, but I want to figure out what experience others have with their garages, and lessons learned from theirs you can share.