rplosnak

268H abrubt stopping

rplosnak

Just picked up an original owner 600 hrs. 268H with EVERYTHING.

Have owned several of the 3 and 400 series hydro's but wanted to try this very clean package as snow blower only.

Have an Ingersoll with 60" deck for summer.

Owner was not mechanical and every year had dealer serviced and deck and snow blower swapped out.

Is it normal to let off foot control and have the machine stop on a dime. Like right now.

Did it unintentionally at higher throttle and it screeched the tires on my driveway.

Thanks for any insight as I know these are sealed hydro units or any adjustments possible? Something to worry about?

Did search for related prior threads but did not find any specific to my situation.

raider9

Mine is a 6 speed manual transmission but I had the same problem because when I hit the brake pedal it wasn't de-clutching properly. Once I adjusted the clutch setting and made sure the drive belt was stopping when I hit the brake/clutch pedal, the problem went away. Not sure if that will help you because I don't know much about that style of transmission but thought maybe it might help. Good luck!

rplosnak

Thanks raider9 for the info and only reply to my question.

Will see if any adjusting on linkage.

Spoke with owner and he said it was abrupt stopping since he bought it new in 2000.

Says it is a safety feature and a person has to get used to and anticipate letting off the foot pedal gradually so as not to be sent over steering wheel.

Local shop here says bad gas damper and replace for $200 +. Hard to imagine bad damper from day 1?? Could be/maybe??

Thanks for any other input as not crazy 'bout new damper if not the problem.

shallowwatersailor
On 9/14/2016 at 3:48 PM, rplosnak said:

Thanks raider9 for the info and only reply to my question.

Will see if any adjusting on linkage.

Spoke with owner and he said it was abrupt stopping since he bought it new in 2000.

Says it is a safety feature and a person has to get used to and anticipate letting off the foot pedal gradually so as not to be sent over steering wheel.

Local shop here says bad gas damper and replace for $200 +. Hard to imagine bad damper from day 1?? Could be/maybe??

Thanks for any other input as not crazy 'bout new damper if not the problem.

I suspect that you didn't get many replies because you have a tractor that not many people on the forum are familiar with, I have three 5xi which are the big brother to your model so closer in concept than a Classic Wheel Horse. They also use a rocker pedal similar to yours.

I used my 523Dxi last week for mowing and noticed that it does what you described as well. I guess I have learned to just compensate for it. It is handy for going downhill to retard my speed. Also two of my 5xi are equipped with cruise control and THAT is screeching to a halt when disengaging it. I have to remember to put my foot on the pedal first. That is also why the 5xi have Smart Steer to automatically decrease the speed when turning. It is so the cruise can be left on - and not flip the driver off.

rplosnak

Thank you so much for the input shallowwatersailor, and you are right about the limited knowledge of these.

Sounds like you cornered the market on the 5XI Series!

I THOUGHT I picked up a like brand new snow plow for a pristine 312-8, this past Sunday.

Craigslist fellow told me it came with his 314-8 but never used it on his long dirt driveway.

Once I placed it under my tractor at home, found it hanging out the back 'bout a foot!!

I checked model and serial number of plow. It's for one of your 5XI's!! 

Pretty sure he knew all along from other things he said. Always someone on CL with an angle to play.

Soon will be listing it for sale along with the 312-8 , making sure buyers aware it's for larger 5XI and that plow needs modifying to fit.

rplosnak

Thanks to all for the info.

Decided to remove old gas damper even though original owner said it was fine from day one.

He just got used to the diminished performance over the 15 years he operated hydro. Gas shock damper was SHOT!

Got a used one from Rust's Mower Graveyard in Penna. for $25. These guys are great source for used parts.

With the proper damper it is still a sensitive and twitchy hydro release that stops the tractor quickly as a safety feature.

100% IMPROVEMENT over the worn out gas damper and no more face plants into steering wheel and tires screeching on pavement.

NO JOKE, it was that severe and had a hard time accepting this as normal since new.

Thanks again.

BESTDOGEVER

Unfortunately many sellers will tell you anything that will put your money in their pocket and get the item out of their lives and feel no regrets in doing so. I guess we all have to remember that making a sale is more important than making a friend to most people. It's a mean world out there