pen414

42" recycler on 414-8 mounted right?

pen414

Evening folks,

About a month ago I was lucky enough to find a well used but well maintained 1986 414-8 that came only with the dozer blade.  Kids and I had a blast using the old girl to put some new gravel down in the driveway and was simply planning on plowing with it mostly. 

However, a friend of mine found out about us getting the 414 and gave me a 42 inch recycler deck and a mule drive that he had laying around.  He used these 20+ years go before switching to a side discharge on a 312-8.

Long story short I brought the setup home and did my best in mounting it.  However, the mower drive belt seems too long.  The belts are old and should be replaced, but I want to make sure I have things setup right before buying new belts. 

If you would, please take a look at a few of these pics and how I've got things set, and let me know if I have it mounted wrong or really do just need a shorter belt since this is a 414 from 1986 and the tractor it used to be on was a 312 that would have been from 1990 or so. 

Thank you for for the help,

0901162032.jpg

0901161957.jpg

0901162029.jpg

0901162030.jpg

0901162030a.jpg

0901162030b.jpg

0901162031.jpg

0901162033.jpg

Edited by pen414
  • Like 1

Walt

Belt routing looks like how I have mine. Could be matter of needing shorter belt.

You said recycler isn't that a rear discharge deck?

cleat

Everything looks right, you must need a shorter belt.

• Like 1

pen414
15 minutes ago, Walt said:

Belt routing looks like how I have mine. Could be matter of needing shorter belt.

You said recycler isn't that a rear discharge deck?

I believe so, with a recycling kit or shields perhaps added.  Here's a shot underneath.

Not sure if I needed a shorter belt or hooked it up to the machine incorectly, where it didn't sit back as far or some such thing.

0901161952.jpg

11 minutes ago, cleat said:

Everything looks right, you must need a shorter belt.

Thanks...  What concerns me is when lifting it won't come up to the bump stops touching.  I tried shortening the chain,, then I didn't have enough room to lift it all the way to the catch.

So if it really is mounted right, now to figure out what size belt.

• Like 1

Walt

Ok now I see the difference between your deck and my rear discharge mine doesn't have the shields or fins to make grass mulch. But the mounting in your pictures looked good so I would figure belt length.  

Walt

Walked out to garage and snapped couple of pictures of my routing not greatest but batterys crapped out in camera.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

• Like 1

jackhammer

Edited by jackhammer

gwest_ca

Some possibilities

The 86001 recycler kit could be added to these decks.

Garry

• Like 1

doc724

I agree with most posters, the belt is too long.  I have a 42 inch RD and a 42 inch SD deck and I "think" the belts are different.  When I put them both away for the winter, I am careful to tag the mules with which deck they go to, lest I switch them by mistake the following spring.

Griff

The belt for my side discharge deck is longer than the one for my RD. I posted on here about it.Thankfully Gary came up with a parts diagram like the one above. Shorter belt will get you going.

953 nut

I have a 42" side discharge that takes a 100" A-98 belt and a 42" rear discharge like yours that takes a 98" A-96 belt.

• Like 1

pen414

Thanks for all the help.  You guys are outstanding!

I took a stab at it at the parts store today and came home with a Gates 6896,,,,1/2"x96" .   It worked but I had to have all of the adjustment out of the mule drive to get the belt on.  After running and adjusting a few times over the course of an hour tonight, it's settled in to about 1/4 of the way through the adjustment path.  I can see how 98" is the way to go.   

In all, this mower did an amazing job.  I'm very impressed with the cut.

In setting it up for the mower, one thing that surprised me was the at the height I'm used to cutting my lawn, my back wheels are dragging even when the deck is in the lifted position.  Is that normal?  When dropping the lift, only the front of the mower goes down and not much.  In all, I supposed it just doesn't lift as high as I was accustomed to. 

I did adjust that screw in the back which seemed to lower the front some and really gave me a nice cut, just not sure if things are as they were intended to be.

Thanks for sharing the manuals, going to grab a beer and start reading through those now. 

Edited by pen414
  • Like 1

pen414

I just played around with the chain lift connection.

It has been connected in the rear of the two holes.  I tried bolting to one link up, and I couldn't latch the handle at the top of the lift.

Move it to the forward of two holes on the lift rod, and it seems a bit better, but no matter how I adjust the lift knob, I see the handle moving but can't get to mower to rest on the bump stops at the lifted position..... I'm missing something. 

Edited by pen414

pen414

Played around with the lift chain and trunnion, but just can't make that deck rest up on the bump stops.

I'm thinking wear in the catch for the lift itself is the culprit.  As I pull the lift as high as I can, the deck will rest up against the bump stops, but when it settles in to the catch for the lift, it's 1/2 inch down.

Thanks,

Lane Ranger

This is the way the  42 Inch Recycler mower Deck Manual indicates how to adjust the Tractor Lift Bar-Trunnion and Lift Rod to make the rubber bumber pads come in contact with the underneath of the footrests.

You have to take the instrument panel off to get to the trunnion and chain to adjust.

T

Recycler Mower Deck Rubber Stop Adjustment.jpg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Also This Is A Great One Page Sheet to Keep Posted in your Garage or Shop  for reference 

Wheel Horse Lift Reference Shgeet.jpg

• Like 3

pen414

Thanks.

Got it a heck of a lot closer today.  I think I've had this chain and trunnion off the tractor 4x and each end of it on and off a 1/2 dozen times each.

In all, if I get it so that the bump stops are actually touching the foot rests upon the lift latching, I have to pull incredibly hard on the handle.  Actually had to pull the handle and hit the button down with a mallet to get it to release. 

Back it off one turn on the trunion, and now the lift feels and latches in an appropriate manner, but hangs down 1/4 of an inch from the bump stop on the left side of the tractor.  From the wear I see on the rear deck tire for that side, this seems common. 

In all, I think that's about as close as I can get it without rebuilding the lift mechanism as there is some play with the latch pin (#2 in pic). 

Also, I flipped the end on the trunnion due to wear. Is that still an easily obtainable part for replacement?  I'll save a bit slop right there with a new one.

Thanks,

pen

Edited by pen414

FOGGY414
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:11 PM, Walt said:

Walked out to garage and snapped couple of pictures of my routing not greatest but batterys crapped out in camera.

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

belt is on inside of pulley not on it

Walt
1 hour ago, FOGGY414 said:

belt is on inside of pulley not on it

On the PTO there are 2 pulleys a inner and a outer the mower deck runs off inner pulley and the snow blower runs off the outer pulley. 

IMG_0733.JPG

MItoplock

Glad I found the post after three months of looking for a different deck. I didn’t think to look and see if the recycler could be removed. Kind of a bad design in my opinion. Sure it mows nice as long as you’re able to mow every two to three days. Not to mention all the clippings that get stuck between the adapter and the deck would seem to rust your deck out. 

squonk

Love my recycler. I take the insert off a couple of times a year. The time it saves raking is worth the time to remove the insert. 

Lee1977
On 9/2/2016 at 8:54 PM, pen414 said:

, my back wheels are dragging even when the deck is in the lifted position.  Is that normal?  When dropping the lift, only the front of the mower goes down and not much.  In all, I supposed it just doesn't lift as high as I was accustomed to. 

There is a adjustment for back been to low in lift position. the picture below shows the adjustment.  Loosen the bolt and slide the the bolt all the way to the top and tighten. There is one on each side.  I can see yours are most of the way to the top now.

With most deck they work just fine with  the bolt all the way to the bottom. I think it may be the extra weight of the recylicer. 

When leveling the deck it should be in the center height hole when adjusting the rear trunnion and back off one round from level to lower the front of the deck. 

SAM-1085.jpg

Edited by Lee1977