scoob8000

42" SD Blowout - At my wits end

scoob8000

So when I first got this 416-H with 42" SD I was ready to drive it into the river.  There is so much clippings/dust/junk coming out from under the front of the deck you NEED to wear safety goggles.  And wipe the air intake of the motor clean every 2-3 minutes.

I've done everything I can think of besides adding a rubber baffle to the front of it.   (level, new blades, new bearings, not warped, etc)   This deck also cuts too low even on the highest setting.  The 48" I can use one notch below the highest and it's perfect.

So awhile back I came across a 416-8 with 48" SD deck that I picked up for dirt cheap.  The top deck was full of cracks and pretty beat up.  I welded it back to health and tossed it on the mower just to see.

It cut beautiful!  I didn't have to wipe grass clippings off the side of the engine one single time. No grass coming back up in my face!   I switched back to the 42" so I could finish rebuilding the 48" and I forgot just how bad I hated using it.

Any other ideas with this 42" before I use it for target practice?

This pic is after making one pass of roughly 150ft.   Note the clippings all over the front axle too.

0ltiL9b - Imgur.jpg

slammer302

You might unscrew the rod towards the back of the deck this will bring the front of the deck down and might help. I have a 42RD that doesn't seem to throw from the front but most 42SD i've had do.

• Like 1

scoob8000
18 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

You might unscrew the rod towards the back of the deck this will bring the front of the deck down and might help. I have a 42RD that doesn't seem to throw from the front but most 42SD i've had do.

Will that affect cutting height much, or just tilt the nose of the deck down?

slammer302

Tilts the nose down

• Like 1

MalMac

The nose should be adjusted lower than the back of the deck for proper adj. if I remember right I think its somewhere around a 1/4 of a inch lower.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I was mowing last week using the Raider 12 w/ 42" SD when for no apparent reason the grass started coming out of the front of the deck.

Turns out the left rear wheel on the deck fell off dropping the rear of the deck.

They have to be leveled correctly.

• Like 1

MalMac

You also are using a Onan. They are famous for sucking in and clogging the air screen.

jdleach

A Toro/Wheel Horse 42" deck is the same as any other Toro/Wheel Horse 42" deck, stampings, spindles, whatever. Mine cuts great, along with hundreds of thousands of others.

You have a serious adjustment issue.

Download the installation instructions for that particular deck, and adjust accordingly. I had problems with my deck until I read the adjustment procedures as outlined by the manufacturer.

new horse

the 42 inch I have does the same thing, pain in the ass having to clean and clippings off the engine fan after every pass round the yard.................

Thisguyisnew

Are your metal baffles still in place and in good shape? Check them out they could also be worn down.

scoob8000

The thing i don't get is I have none of these problems with the old 48" SD deck.

Unless it all has to do with adjustment.   I have measured both, and with blades facing front to back I have them both 1/4 to 3/8 lower in the front.

I need to find the manual for the deck again, but is that nut/rod on the back the only adjustment?  

for some reason the PO had a stack of washers between the nut and the trunion.  He had it cranked so much, the deck was leveled with the rear lower.

Thisguyisnew

Baffles underneath should deflect grass as well as direct those clippings to chute. I have same deck and don't have that problem anymore. Also got rid of the mulching blades that were there