osubrutus1

belts twisting

osubrutus1

I am constantly twisting belts, this what I think the problem is (see picture) but not sure how to correct it short of heating with torch and bending it. Any suggestions?

tmp_10990-IMG_20160829_19362514375735.jpg

wallfish

It appears to me that the belt is either stretched or too long to begin with. The knob in front of the mule drive is used to adjust tension on the belt and it is cranked all the way to full tension but the belt doesn't appear to have that much tension on it.

The pulleys should swing back towards the engine when adjusting the knob which will align them properly.

The V in the belt should be in the groove on the top (pic) pulley like it is and the flat of the belt should ride on the flat lower pulley in the pic.

Think you need a new correct length belt and there should be no need to bend anything.

mule.jpg

• Like 1

daveoman1966

without  seeing where the belt goes around the engine PTO, makes it tuff to know.  It looks like you have the belt in the WRONG V of the PTO at the engine, OR...you don't have the mule drive on right.  Here is what it should look like (my Raider 10).

This is an updated pic...showing the belt on the INSIDE V of the PTO pulley.

RAIDER 10 (1).jpg

Edited by daveoman1966

953 nut
17 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Here is what it should look like

Almost; the belt driving the mower should be on the inside pulley, the outer one is for a snow blower. Be sure the mule drive is fully seated in the mount and the mower deck is centered in the mid mount tach-a-matic. If it is off center the belt going around the mule drive will not line up right.

:WRS:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:wwp:    Need  full front and right side views with PTO, mule drive and deck in the pictures.

• Like 1

Don1977

If the PTO belt is turning over it's not tight enough.

daveoman1966

I learned this in 1973 from a Wheelhorse dealer / mechanic.

....After-market belts will roll because they are not geometrically matched to the V shape of the proprietary Wheelhorse pulley design.   That is, the V shape of after-market belts do not perfectly fit the sides (and depth) of the proprietary pulley(s) giving them a propensity to roll-over.  Once a belt rolls, go get another.  Making the belt tighter and tighter only exacerbates a failing situation.

Secondly....drawing the belt tighter and tighter will be detrimental to the bearings...ALL of them in the loop.  

IMHO....Spend a few bux more and get the OEM belts

Edited by daveoman1966
Added info
  • Like 2

osubrutus1

Yes it is on the inside groove but I also have an aftermarket belt that I tightened. I will go to dealer this weekend. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

osubrutus1

Let me ask this, I have a C-175, are the mule drives all the same?

Ed Kennell

Yes, all that I am aware of are the same.    There is a spring loaded mule drive used on the 60" decks, but I believe the pulley position is the same.

Others will let us know if there is any different drives.    I noted you have the guard off your drive.  Are you sure you have the spacers and pulleys on the shaft correctly?

• Like 1

can whlvr

I have several mules,some from mid seventies and some from late 80,s and basicallt they are the same,the older ones have better pu;;eys but that's the only differance