Sign in to follow this  
moe1965

11 hp briggs and stratton govener adjustment

moe1965

Hello all.  I just got the engine running on a sb 421 I found road side.  I'm having a hard time with the right adjustment for the govnor.     The adjustment I did is as follows.   With the motor not running I pushed the throttle wide open moved the govener clock wise till it stopped and tighten the nut and bolt on the govener.  Started it up and I have very little throttle control. It jumps up to a high rev almost immediately. ... any help would be apreciated thanks in advance jk

gwest_ca

Sounds like you did it correctly.

Do it again to see if the governor arm slipped on the governor shaft. I have often not got the clamp tight enough.

Get the engine running at an idle. Then manually slowly increase the rpm by turning the throttle shaft at the carb. As the rpm comes up the governor should try to return the throttle to the idle position. The higher the rpm the more force the governor develops to return the throttle to idle. If this is not happening there is likely an internal problem with the governor.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

moe1965

Problem solve.   Upon further inspection I found that the clip that holds the govnor arm was hitting a dimple in the casting not allowing it to be turned fully clockwise  I removed the clip moved the govener and put the clip back in.  Pictures included.    Second picture before problem was fixed.  First picture  you can see how much it was making it out of adjustment 

20160829_162449.jpg

20160829_162554.jpg

Edited by moe1965

gwest_ca

I fail to see how that can work. Looks like the spring clip is restricted from turning both ways now.

Garry

moe1965

Pictures are in reverse order first pix is the one in proper working position.  Mower is running as it should no issues. 

gwest_ca

Perfect.

Garry