mmmmmdonuts

PTO bearing went

mmmmmdonuts

Was mowing the lawn yesterday and my pto came apart. The outer bearing is completely gone. Was wondering how many parts do/should I replace? Is there an easy way of refurbishing the housing? I am also trying to figure out if that 14-54 is what is actually being shown in the 2nd picture or if I am completely missing that part. Was thinking I need parts 59-63. Thoughts? 

I am just surprised how catastrophe the failure was with everything falling out. Is it possible that I had the PTO too tight?  

Thanks for the help. 

rps20160829_090544.jpg

rps20160829_090602.jpg

rps20160829_101322.jpg

572a6ada9eec5_ptoraider12.gif.d2d7f713374c50ffc569890e3af65d69.gif

Ed Kennell

I think you are seeing the outer race of the thrust bearing 14-59 that needs replaced.   All other parts are probably OK.

The PTO should only be tight enough to stop from slipping, but all bearings have a predetermined life.    It was time for your bearing to be replaced.

Clean and grease the needle bearing.  The normally have a longer life than the ball thrust bearing.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

Alright. Thank you for the help. I ordered the part and hopefully I can get it before the weekend and not need any others. 

Aldon

Bob,

You can bring the parts or tractor as a whole over to my place if you want to do Saturday morning and I can assist.

I have some spare PTO parts and bearings etc as its on my own to-do list to rebuild one of my own.

squonk

I think that brg # is P204RR6

mmmmmdonuts

Aldon,

Would love too but I am not around most of this weekend unfortunately. Going to try and get it done during the week. I will try and document it. Thank you though. 

Squonk,

I got this bearing number from part tree 

Edited by mmmmmdonuts

Aldon

Were you able to get it repaired?

mmmmmdonuts

I just got the part today. I am going to try and repair it first thing in the morning. Some confusion happened at the shop with my part.

• Like 1

Aldon

Good luck. Let me know if you run into trouble.

mmmmmdonuts

Managed to get it done fairly quickly this morning but had a few minor hiccups, but I figured I would describe/show the steps to replace the outer wheel bearing. Just so everyone knows, you do NOT have to remove the inner needle bearing to do this. 

1) First thing I did was remove the outer C clip at the end of the PTO shaft. 

IMG_20160904_124429 (2).jpg

2) The next thing I did is I clamped the PTO in a vice and used a piece of wood that fit through the needle bearing and into the outside bearing. I used a hammer to drive it out. 

IMG_20160904_093526 (2).jpg
  • Here you can see the bearing shell sliding out. 
IMG_20160904_093531 (2).jpg
  • 3) After I had the ball bearing removed I removed the C clip holding in the ball bearing to the outside lug. 
IMG_20160904_124018 (2).jpg

4) From there I struggled a bit to get the broken ball bearing off shaft. I came up with a 15/16 deep socket and that wrapped around the outside and then place a 7/16 socket underneath after I soaked it in PB blaster for a bit. I then hit the 15/16 socket and drove the ball bearing off the shaft. IMG_20160904_123539 (2).jpg

5) After that was removed I put the new ball bearing on (same way as I just removed it)

6) Then I clipped the C clip back on just like in step 3. 

7) Put the ball bearing back in the shaft through the outside. (Just like step 2)

8) Put the outside C Clip on like in Step 1. 

9) And this is what it should look like.

IMG_20160904_124125 (2).jpg

10) Clean the inside up and add some grease to the needle bearing and your good to go. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1