jdleach

Hood Latch Straps

jdleach

Anyone have a source for the rubber hood hold-down straps? Ones on the C-175 are about rotted away.

Shuboxlover

I have a couple....PM me your email address and I'll get you pics.

Tyson

• Like 1

doc724

I would also be interested in knowing sources for these straps-if no other reason than to save time searching online!

19richie66

I believe toro used these on thier groundsmasters also for the back of the hood. Might be a little different, not sure. Toro Part number 249-39

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

Shuboxlover

I have multiple sets....

tunahead72

I believe I've seen similar straps at good hardware stores.  I don't know about the quality or fit, but I'm guessing they'll be less expensive than the $25 Toro wants for them.

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

The couple I have will be cheaper than that

• Like 1

jdleach

Thanks folks. Didn't look at Partstree, as I figured they would be higher than a cat's back. Looked for some time yesterday, but could not find the correct length. The ones for the late C tractors, such as the black hoods, and the 300-500 series use a rubber strap 3" long. In my search, I found all manner of lengths EXCEPT 3". Did find out that the part is most likely made by Doorman, a big automotive hardware supplier. The trick is to find out what the Doorman part number is.

gwest_ca

See if this 1st page of 3 shows up

http://www.spaenaur.com/catalog/#L116

located in southern Ontario Canada

Garry

• Like 1

jdleach

Thank you Garry, there is one that might work. The length is a bit over 3", will need to check the other dimensions.

jdleach

I have done an exhaustive search for this part, and have found zero matches. Given the dimensions, I am now suspecting it is a "proprietary" part. 

Since such seems to be the case, Toro can go screw themselves. I have found several straps that can be attached, but will require changing the placement of the hinge or latch. Not a difficult task for me since I own a complete shop, but certainly something that really torques me.

This is supposed to be a hobby project, not a money sink to enrich others.

• Like 1

TDF5G

For what it's worth,  I have done some poking around on the internet for these rubber strap latches this morning here at work.  Some big trucks use this type of latch on battery box covers.  Look very similar to the WH hood latch, although I've not actually compared them side by side. 

Here is a link from google images.  I'm not able to access some websites due to Websense internet filter on our PCs at work. :-(  You might be able to find the correct length.  Most of them that I can look at are 4 7/8".  If you can track down that dorman number you'll be fixed up. Good luck.  

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=899&q=battery+hold+down+strap&oq=BATTERY+HOLD+DOW&gs_l=img.1.0.0l6j0i30k1j0i5i30k1l3.872.3823.0.5404.16.14.0.2.2.0.113.1307.11j3.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.16.1317.UQGD-G0D1iU#tbm=isch&q=rubber+battery+box+hold+down

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

@Martin i believe is the fellow that found these for his restoration of a 416. Maybe he will have a chance to swing by this thread.

• Like 1

jdleach

Went ahead and ordered a possible substitute last evening. The measurements were very close. When it comes in, I will notify the forum as to how well they work/look.

Rather pricey, something like $16 each. However, the hardware is stainless steel, which is better than the originals.

Thanks all, and will report back.

• Like 1

doc724

I remembered this thread and today when I was poking around my 416H, I noticed a mfg name on the rubber hood latches.  Back in 1996 they were made by Addco of St. Paul, MN.  Addco was taken over by Actusiinc (which was identified earlier by MalMac).  While you can buy on their site, there are no pictures and they spec the rubber latches by length, the smallest being 3 inches.  I just measured the overall length on the latches I removed from my C125 (undergoing a resto) and they are 2-7/8.  Just because Addco made them in 1996 is no guarantee that they were the supplier back in the early 80's.  However, having worked my entire career in a large manufacturing company, the only time we changed suppliers was if they went out of business, jacked up the price, or their quality went down the tubes.  Also, St, Paul is pretty close to South Bend and back in those days, you selected suppliers close to you-none of this global sourcing crap was going on back then.

I would be interested in hearing an update from jdleach on his success or not.

• Like 3

jdleach

Don, and everyone else, sorry for not following up sooner. The life-thing got in the way.

Sent an email to Actusinc some time ago, and got a reply several days later from one of their reps. Quite cordial and helpful, the rep sent a .pdf print of the dimensions, and it appears to be the elusive animal we seek.

The proof is in the pudding, so I still need to order one to compare with an original. If I can get to it, I will put in an order for two today. When they come in, will report on how they stack up.

The ones I mentioned in an earlier post, with the stainless steel hardware, came in a couple weeks ago, and I am happy to announce that the quality looks good. Unfortunately the length is too short for a one-to-one replacement. If someone were to use these shorter straps, hole placement will have to be shifted a small amount. That of course, will necessitate the filling of at least two holes. Rather a pain. The stainless steel fittings are a definite plus though.

• Like 1

doc724

Thx for the update JD.  I may give sales at Actusinc a call tomorrow and see if they can email a pdf.  Price wise, the rubber latches are about $3 (v. $20+ from toro).  Shipping is high, but overall if they work cost is still worth the savings.  Somewhere, I read where one of the RS Vendors may be selling these.  I need to look again-maybe it was just wishful thinking

• Like 1

jdleach

Well, I tried to order the latches from the Actusinc online store. Something is awry with their website, as every time I try to proceed to checkout after selecting my purchase, the home page for the company comes up, and the cart is empty. I figure I will have to phone in the order.

lynnmor
On 9/18/2016 at 8:12 PM, doc724 said:

Thx for the update JD.  I may give sales at Actusinc a call tomorrow and see if they can email a pdf.  Price wise, the rubber latches are about $3 (v. $20+ from toro).  Shipping is high, but overall if they work cost is still worth the savings.  Somewhere, I read where one of the RS Vendors may be selling these.  I need to look again-maybe it was just wishful thinking

I just received straps from Actus.  They are shorter, but then my old straps are stretched a bit.  I replaced one and it worked OK, just tighter than before.

P9220004.JPG

P9220006.JPG

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Do you need a part number to order?

Glenn

lynnmor

Just order 3" Latch Strap.  SKU is 069-0045

• Like 6

Tankman

Just received same Actus rubber latches ($3.35 each) perhaps as mentioned, a bit shorter.

Wouldn’t hesitate ordering more. 

Received the pins also (17 cents each).

Excellent products. Excellent service.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2