Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

HOW GOOD IS MY 1981 C-125 HYDRO?

WheelHorse_of_course

Good point about the Suburbans. Amazing machines, I learned to drive on a 551 and hauled a lot of stuff around with it.

I guess 8-10 HP will do it with a manual trans but a hydro requires 10-12 due to the inherant inefficiency of hydro.

Stigian

Welcome to RedSquare AL, thats a great looking C-125 you have there :D

The 12hp engines are great workers and will handle just about anything you ask it to do :P

combatmp29r

Jason I agree on the horsepower deal. My verticals are all 8 horse. They do anything I want and then some. I can plow the garden, till, push snow or dirt etc. Now I don't have 5 acres or need a 60" deck, but I will never fault them. Plus I've pulled my neighbors Lowes bought JD (MTD) 20 horse around like it was a toy. I don't need the power I'm putting on the V18, but it will be a nice toy :D

CasualObserver

Thanks for the ditto there Joel, I'd say that for the most part folks need to worry about running out of traction before running out of HP! :D And yes... that V18 will be a nice toy...

combatmp29r

Yeah I agree on the traction part. The V18 has loaded 23x8.50-12 on it at 95lb apiece and 50lb per side wheel weights in route, but I bet I still spin the tires before I run out of power. Or break a ring gear first :D

illinilefttackle

Al,

You in Illinois? You mention Lake Effect but not where you are.

I am from Cleveland and am stuck out of town on a trip - I hope I don't miss out on some good blading action.

Lake effect is supposed to hit us friday nite &sat along with below zero temps.

I bought my wheelhorse in Niles Michigan-But I live in SouthBend-the home of WHEEL HORSE. We get lake effect off of Lake Michigan.

Oil is changed to Pennzoil 10w-30w, air filter is new-spark plug is new and the C-125 is in the "starting gate". Gas tank is full and I'm ready-except I never did get my electric socks for that serious "seat time" in the snow.

If my camera will work-maybe I can get some action shots!-AL :D

Rollerman

Al I'm not to far away from you...if you would please send a little of that snow east so I can play too. :P

As far as the horsepower issue this thread has brought up....I'm curious what the torque numbers are on a box store 20HP tractor & a K series Kohler.

They may make more peak HP with the throttle pinned but I don't think the power output is the same.

My father inlaw has a couple 22HP Ranch Kings that get to bogging when cutting thick grass.

I have ben over with many of my horses to help & seem to fair better with less horsepower...albeit my deck slightley is smaller. :D

combatmp29r

Stephen I think alot of it is how they put the horsepower to the grass. I have a neighbor with a yard machine 24hp I think 20 something. No gears or hrdro though. it has a pedal you push like a hydro, but it tightens the drive belt to the forwrd reverse gear box on the rear axle. farther you push, tighter the belt fast it goes. Here we need Jasons WTF smiley. Who came up with that crap???? :D

illinilefttackle

Al I'm not to far away from you...if you would please send a little of that snow east so I can play too. :P

As far as the horsepower issue this thread has brought up....I'm curious what the torque numbers are on a box store 20HP tractor & a K series Kohler.

They may make more peak HP with the throttle pinned but I don't think the power output is the same.

My father inlaw has a couple 22HP Ranch Kings that get to bogging when cutting thick grass.

I have ben over with many of my horses to help & seem to fair better with less horsepower...albeit my deck slightley is smaller. :D

Tickster-If theres any left over-you can play in it! My family comes from the South Milford , Kendallville area-its like old home week! I'm going to cross my fingers for a real good snow-plowing is a heck of a lot more fun than mowing! -AL

CasualObserver

Here we need Jasons WTF smiley.

Guy's I'll give you a hint... if you go and right click on that smiley... and pick "Copy image location" you can paste it as an image into any post and it will show up just like a normal smiley. :D just like this... av-94.jpgav-18.jpg

combatmp29r

Now that is a cool smiley!!!!!!! :D

T-Mo

Plus I've pulled my neighbors Lowes bought JD (MTD) 20 horse around like it was a toy.

Not doubt that's true about pulling the JD around. But, MTD does not make nor have they ever made any JD tractors. Those entry lever JD LA series are made by JD in their Tennessee plant. They're not the Horicon, Wisconsin made JDs, but nonetheless are still made by JD.

Sorry, but that MTD made JD myth has been circulating around and it's simply not true.

Rollerman

Thanks for setting the facts straight Terry...now :D ...does JD make tractors for other companies?

Have seen a few "Scotts" on craigslist & the owners were claiming them to be JD's?

combatmp29r

See tells you how much I follow the small Deeres anymore. Now a 4000 series from the 60s or an old 2 cylinder, yeah I nkow them pretty good. Just assumed because the LAs look so much like the cubs and other MTD clones. I know JD had to make a cheap line to compete with todays homeowner, but its still dissapointing. To me as dissapointing as Toro killing the Wheel horses :D

T-Mo

Stephen,

JD made the later Scotts and the puke green Sabres. They were both almost identical and were made by JD in their Tennessee plant. The LA Series JD's owe a lot of their design to the Scotts and Sabres.

Joel,

That's a debate that can get heated in JD circles. You can buy those entry lever JDs at dealers also, not just HD and Lowes. The deal JD made with these stores was that they can not discount them nor under sell the dealers. So the price you see at HD or Lowes is the same price at a dealer. Don't let a salesman at HD or Lowes tell you different. Now if the tractor was returned to the store, then they can be marked down.

I for one, don't care much for them, but they actually are designed better than a Sears or a MTD. The frames aren't as strong or heavy as the X-series JDs, be it a X300, X500 or, of course, the top of the line X700 series. :D

combatmp29r

Good to know Terry. Thanks for the info you are now at 16 useful posts oh sorry 17 :D

T-Mo

Since we're :D

I can not disagree with Joel here. I am also disappointed that JD made these entry level tractors. It's a marketing ploy so they can compete with Sears, AYP and MTD. I don't like it a bit. There I said it.

Now, back to your regular scheduled Wheel Horse Forum. :P

Curmudgeon

For most of the applications I've seen mentioned in this thread, 12 or less horsepower is more than you'll ever use.

I have run into three applications though where more is definitely better.

One: 76" mower deck. (ok, you won't find many of those around)

B: 10,000 watt generator. (You can only generate so much per horsepower)

III: Snowthrower/blower 10 hp WILL get the job done, been there, done that. More hp however does it faster, and the faster you go, the better they blow.

Since that was 3 things, was that my 3 cents worth?