Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

HOW GOOD IS MY 1981 C-125 HYDRO?

illinilefttackle

Hi Guys! My tractor is RED so I joined this site. I like the idea of talking to other Wheel Horse Folks. I ask this question on (another site) an never really got a clear ans. This is the first Garden Tractor I've ever owned-so I don't know where it fits in the family of wheel horses. I know it's not light duty, but how heavy duty is it? It only has 12HP but a lot of torque. I know it's not as tough as a 520-but where does it fit?

I have never run into a situation, mowing, plowing snow,etc where it did not have enough power, but it does burn some oil-it only has 730 hours on the meter-it doesn't leak but uses about 1/2 qt oil in 2 hours running. Only seems to smoke on start up. I want to overhaul it this spring.

It has an EATON hydro I'm told-what model? is it a good one? Does it have a strong diff? Will it pull a plow this spring for a garden? You see I have a lot of questions- I really like this tractor, and I want to get the most possible work out of it. I TOTALLY rebuilt the mowing deck this summer-"whirrs" while it's cutting the grass,3 blades, all new spindle bearings, etc, new tracking wheels, rollers and roller pins.

I would appreciate any info you can give me on my horse. (it is in my garage and my car sits outside in the weather) so you know what I think of it.-AL :D

nylyon

First, welcome to Red Square sure glad you found us. Now who's been telling you the C-125 isn't as heavy duty as a 520? I am pretty certain your C-125 has an Eaton 11 (1100), same as a 520-H. Differences would be that your C-125 has a 12 HP Kohler while the 520-H has a 20 HP Onan. But for the most part they share the same frame, rear axles and many other parts.

The only issues you would have in my opinion is the lower output of the engine, the rest of it is just as strong. You should be able to use many of the ground engaging attachments such as plows, tillers, harrows, etc without much issue. It's a great tractor.

T-Mo

First, welcome to Red Square - I'm glad you found us here. I second Karl's opinion of the C-125. There was one when I got my C-141 - it looked pretty stout (except for the fiberglass fender). The 12 hp in it is of the legenedary, classic, cast iron K-series Kohler. They don't build engines like them anymore. It may have only 12 horses, but it can probably out work engines of today that claimed to have more hp than 12. I think Karl is also right, it would have the Eaton 11 in it. If you have some please post some pictures.

Again, welcome.

illinilefttackle

NYLYON-Thanks for the info- its nice to know it shares most parts with the 520h-As for the engine-I noticed a web site-BRIAN MILLER I think who said I could send him my engine and he would redo it-with more power-pretty reasonable- does this sound like a good idea or should I just re-do it myself? How does he get the extra power? Thanks-AL

Oh and just how do I [post pics on here? I hit the browse button-put in the picture-but did not see an "UPLOAD" button?

T-Mo

The best way to post pictures is to use an account like photobucket. I have used the "File Attachments" here with mixed results. So, I used photobucket and it also allows me to put in multiple pictures in a single post. :D

Rollerman

AL
..Is it Al?

Welcome to the site.

As others have all ready informed you the C125 is plenty stout! :D

I use one as a snow plowing tractor now.

As far as haveing Brian Miller rebuild your engine...I'm sure it would run like it never has before.

Or you could do it yourself & determine how much it will need.

If it's useing oil the bore could be worn or the valve guides could also need attention.

The C125 auto is a very capable tractor!

Sparky

How good is it? Theirrrrrrrrrrrrr GREAT!! OK I stole that one from "Tony The Tiger". I have a 1983 C-125 auto and I love it. I started out with a 36" rear discharge deck and moved up to a 42" rear discharge and the 12hp Kohler is just fine with it. I have used my 42" snowblower on it and its possible to lug the motor down in deep snow so you have to go slow. I moved the blower to a 418-A and put a 42" plow on the C-125 for this winter. Like the guys said it has the Eaton 1100 tranny which is the same as the 520-H.

Mike.........

Nelson472.jpg

BPjunk

Illinilefttackel,

One of my sayings is "ifn's ya' need more then 12 horse power then get a Caterpillar diesel". :P Your C-125 hydrostatic will do any of the work you wanted it to do BECAUSE it was designed for that kind of work! :D

As for the oil usage what kind of oil are you using? How is the crankcase vent clean dirty? What does the spark plug look like oil fouled? Is the air filter clean? Do a cylinder leak down test to see where the oil might be going.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

combatmp29r

Illinilefttackel, Welcome to the group. :D

As far as I'm concerned your C-125 is very heavy duty. I'm sure it will do anything you will want it to and more :P

T-Mo

Mike,

Nice looking C-125.

Like I said, there was a C-125 when I picked up my C-141. I could have bought the C-125 at the time (it seems like he wanted $200-$250 for it). But, I couldn't justify it. It was complete, except the fuel pump, which was scavenged for my C-141. It also needed a starter. It did have a small chunk missing from the fender deck, but otherwise was in decent shape. He (the seller) hadn't had it started because of the bad starter it had. Anyways, I passed on it, though I believe I could have talked him down on it or made a deal for it.

illinilefttackle

Thanks Guys! Way better info on this site! The OTHER site seems to be getting so big you can't hardly get answers anymore.

BPjunk-I'm using 5w-30w oil from advance auto.

The crankcase vent-I don.t know- How do I get at it?

The spark plug is black and sooty-but not oil fouled

Air filter probably should be changed.

This tractor belonged to an old gent in Niles MI. he kept it in a heated garage. The hour meter is at 730-I dont know much about kohlers.but i cant see it being worn out yet. He just mowed his smaller lot with it.

It smokes pretty good when it starts up-but after 4-5 minutes the exhaust is clear.

NYLYON-thanks for the charts-Now I can see where it fits in the herd of horses. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures on here-no luck yet. Will try PHOTOBUCKET if need be, THANKS AGAIN-AL

nylyon

Photobucket is the choice of most, choose the IMG code. If you have your pictures on the internet already you can display them here by:

[img=http://address.com/directory/picturename.jpg]

That will display the picture here. If they are not on the internet, then Photobucket is a great place to host them. They even give you the IMG code to insert into your post!

nylyon

Ok, here's how to fix that one:

Following that link shows 2 pictures Click on the IMG portion of that, then in your post hold down the ctrl key and press V you should get see this:

[img=http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii284/illinilefttackle/readyforsnow9.jpg]

Attached Image

post-3-1200515644.jpg

nylyon

New post should look like this then:

readyforsnow9.jpg

tractorwithblackdeck.jpg

Jim_M

Thanks Guys! Way better info on this site! The OTHER site seems to be getting so big you can't hardly get answers anymore.

This tractor belonged to an old gent in Niles MI. he kept it in a heated garage. The hour meter is at 730-I dont know much about kohlers.but i cant see it being worn out yet. He just mowed his smaller lot with it.

It smokes pretty good when it starts up-but after 4-5 minutes the exhaust is clear.

NYLYON-thanks for the charts-Now I can see where it fits in the herd of horses. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures on here-no luck yet. Will try PHOTOBUCKET if need be, THANKS AGAIN-AL

Just my opinion, but I think 5W-30 is way too light. If you're using it in the winter and starting it when it's below zero, then maybe the 5W-30 is ok.

I would stick with straight 30 weight in the summer, and 10W-30 if you're using it in the winter.

Again just my opinion, but I won't buy any off brand oil, I stick to the name brand stuff. I've been using Shell Rotella-T, it's a diesel oil, but fine for gas engines too.

Sparky

I agree with Jim. 5w-30 is to light for that motor. I would swap out the oil for 10w-30 in the winter.

Mike......

Greg B.

Boy! Do I like them thar BLACK HOODS! :P:D

Greg B.

BPjunk

Al,

Your in Michigan ... hummmm. If you plan on snow plowing then drain the oil out and refill with 10w-30 weight oil. Next change the air filter and spark plug, then recheck the carburetor settings (it might be too rich). Look on the front of the engine when replacing the air filter and see if there is any oil leaks. Also even though the tractor looks pretty clean check for dirt in the cooling fins too.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

T-Mo

Al,

Nice looking tractor. I think I saw your tractor over on MTF - I remember the black deck (or I think I do). :D Even though I'm not as far north as you (therefore don't see as cold temperatures) I do agree with the consensus here - 5w30 is too thin. I know the newer engines recommend it in some cases, but your C-125 has the old K-series Kohlers and I know their manuals call for heavier oil (especially in summer).

illinilefttackle

Thanks guys! There is a big lake effect snow coming this weekend- so out goes the old oil-in goes name brand 10w-30w -it will get a new air cleaner & spark plug to get ready for the fight- Just in case I have a back up for the DEEP stuff- My TRAILBLAZER 7- 2stage blower-see pic-Thanks for the help-Great site!-AL

readyforsnow16.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

The C series are, IMHO, true garden tractors, despite the fact they are at the small end in terms of size and HP. But they are most certainly built to handle ground engaging equipment.

I am not sure if the Eatons have as good a reputation as the sundstrands but they are certainly intended for heavy duty applications.

Kohler does not recommend multiweight oil except int he winter, and they specifically mention that use of multi weight oil in the summer will cause increased power consumption.

As others have said, this will handle pretty much anything you can throw at it!

Rollerman

The C series are, IMHO, true garden tractors, despite the fact they are at the small end in terms of size and HP
:D

You know what they say...it's not how big your horse power is...it's how you use it... :P

Honestly though for the time period the C series were built there horsepower rateings "8-19" were equivelant if not more than the competion.

CasualObserver

The C series are, IMHO, true garden tractors, despite the fact they are at the small end in terms of size and HP. But they are most certainly built to handle ground engaging equipment.

Umm... let's not forget that the RJs and Suburbans were sold with ground engaging attachments too. The HP in larger tractors IMHO is overrated. I went into an older WH dealer in my local area, and asked about finding an old thrower for my Commando 8... he said, "why would you want to use that old thing?" It's not powerful enough. I politely disagreed, left and have never been back. I haven't found anything that I have to have more than 8HP for yet.

WheelHorse_of_course

Al,

You in Illinois? You mention Lake Effect but not where you are.

I am from Cleveland and am stuck out of town on a trip - I hope I don't miss out on some good blading action.