Sign in to follow this  
Skeeters65

Kohler mechanic in CT?

Skeeters65

Hey guys I was looking for someone in CT(closer to Norwich the better) that is good with Kohler K91 engines. 

I was told it ran before I bought it but I never saw it run. Seems to have good compression but doesn't seem to be getting spark at the plug. 

I would like to drop it some where and have them get it running so that when I put it in the tractor after I restore it I don't have to fiddle with the motor. 

Any suggestions? 

wallfish

Clean the points, they oxidize after sitting for a while and don't make a clean contact.

Skeeters65

What is the best way to do this?

wallfish

The cover is right below the carb and held on with 2 screws. (probably has the little push button stop) When removed you will see the breaker points and the 2 little contacts.

You can use a small file.

Or, I just use a small strip of fine grit sand paper. Rotate the engine so the points are completely closed if they aren't already , open them with your finger and insert the sand paper. Let the points close which applies pressure and then pull out the paper. This needs to be done several times for each contact. Just flip the paper over to do the opposite contact.

Use Youtube to check out videos. It's a pretty simple process.

Skeeters65

Thanks Wallfish I will give that a try. 

That at little push button is a kill switch??

Thanks

wallfish
5 hours ago, Skeeters65 said:

That at little push button is a kill switch??

Yes, grounds the points to stop the engine.

The original way your throttle control worked on a 400 is a wire is run to the throttle lever (which is isolated from ground via nylon washers). Then it contacts ground when moved completely to the lower position to stop the engine from sitting in the seat. Many wore out and failed over the years constantly grounding the points to a no run situation. The original wire probably came from under the flywheel at the condenser connection but you can run one from the points to accomplish the same thing. Just inspect you controls to make sure the throttle lever is completely isolated until it's moved into the shut off location.

Skeeters65

Interesting. 

Good info to have. 

Thanks

wallfish

Were you able to clean the points and get a spark?

Skeeters65

Yes sir. 

Got spark this afternoon! Thanks for the info. 

Ordered a carb today along with the filter and gaskets. 

Got any pictures of how the throttle cable hooks up to the governer and carb?(Its a 400) Need to figure that all out and get the necessary springs, cables and what not. 

Thanks

wallfish

Throttle cable connects to the engine's governor with a Z bend in the wire and into one of those little holes in that disc which is located at the base of the governor arm. Spring should already be in there between the disc and the arm. The governor arm then connects to the carb with two Z bends in a short piece of wire.

Post a pic of the front of your engine without the air cleaner and I'll edit lines into it to show what hooks to where.

You can just send me 1/2 the money you would've paid a mechanic to get your engine to spark! Should be about $50 :ychain:

Edited by wallfish