SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

Terry M

Nice! , I like it:handgestures-thumbupright:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sweet sweet sweet ,,  :wh:

Glenn

bds1984

Well, the steering system is waiting to be assembled so it can steer.  I have the tie-rods made to length, however I am waiting on a left-handed tap so I can reuse the swept-axle tie-rod ends and be able to make easy tracking adjustments.  

Digger 66

Are you conjuring up some type of protection for that somewhat vulnerable looking diff .

Bravo Sir , you're doing a magnificent job    rock_zpstrtgjvyx.gif

bds1984

Oh don't give me any more ideas!  I have a 3500 LB winch that I am wondering how it would look on the front!

17 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Are you conjuring up some type of protection for that somewhat vulnerable looking diff .

Bravo Sir , you're doing a magnificent job    rock_zpstrtgjvyx.gif

• Like 1

19richie66

:think: Uhm.......... It would look good!

• Like 1

callum12

this is a project to follow for sure! 

Texas Todd

I am very curious how you synchronize the speed of the front axle with the rear? If I am understanding it correctly, you run a belt off the brake side to the front. But you have 6 forward speeds with the rear. Its probably more straightforward than it appears, but thats what I have been asking myself for the TWO WEEKS WITH NO PICTURES!! 😎:wh::flags-texas:

bds1984

I know, I've been slacking on updates. I've been a bit busy since I'm moving in a couple weeks so the big picture updates are slow to come. 

But to answer your question, I am going to run a chain off the brake drum to a 90 degree gearbox so I don't have to twist a belt like @meadowfield did on his C4 build that I'm using as a model for my build. So basically I am taking the speed from the brake drum and increasing it at a ratio to keep the front tires in sync with the rear, the front axle originally had a huge 8 inch pulley on it since it was connected to the engine directly, which is not the case for me. I take no credit for figuring that out, I'm going off what Mark did on his build. I hope to get a few pictures of my updates soon, I need to use the tractor to pull a big aerator around and as it sits now, I cannot steer my C165. There needs to be more hours on the day!

Edited by bds1984

Texas Todd

Very interested to see it. Dang impressive engineering......and yes, life must go on....thanks and keep up the awesome work!

bds1984

Well I did manage to make SOME progress this week, the tie rod.  I reused the ends off of the swept axle that I upgraded from a previous project.  What took me this long as waiting for a 9/16-18 UNF left handed tap!  I wanted to be able to make the same tie rod adjustment as before, so I patiently waited for the tap to arrive.  Tomorrow and Saturday I hope to have the steering system all pieced together and functioning so I can at least use the darn thing to quickly pull a 250 pound aerator!  

20161020_173118.jpg

• Like 2

DotheDoo

Crap, I was hoping for more updates after stumbling over this post. What an excellent job you are doing!!

HorseHead1089

Really liking this, between super duty, C4 and super bendy, I've thought of doing one myself, just trying to figure out the front axle scenario, not to many 4 wheel steer tractors around here. ive thought about building one off of another wheel horse rear end and a lot of machining/welding, followed by a piece of plate steel and reinforcement to drop the rear transmission level with the front and 26x12x12s all around.

HorseHead1089

bds1984, could you give some approxamite sizes of thoes U-Joints in the front axle, like overall length and exterior diameter? Also where did you get the front steering linkages, or did you machine them, Thanks!!