AMC RULES

Cool project...  

what was the donor tractor? 

• Like 1

bds1984

I believe the donor tractor was an early-mid nineties, four-wheel-steer Ranch King. It looked low hours and came apart easily.

• Like 3

Digger 66

I'm on this one like a cheap suit ! 

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

subscribed!

bds1984

A little bit of progress today: axles drawn out and beginning to cut and shape them and the input shaft on the front axle after a bit of machining.

14117915_10101087690142550_8378905277697.

14053997_10101087690162510_6119162756167

..14080079_10101087690107620_6483452299142

• Like 8

Wildhorse

Nice project! Looking forward to following the build! :text-bravo:

bds1984

New bits came in the mail today... tires and the gearbox bits.  Now I just need more hours in the day! 

14212800_10101095489946680_1841198431823

14237679_10101095490006560_8144451102707

• Like 7

Wishin4a416

Nice project! Will keep an eye on this.

bds1984

Progress is slower than I like because this school year is a lot tougher than normal with having five different classes to teach and only one of them being I'm the metal shop. The axle is in its final shape, now just to weld it up and attach it to the machine so I can work on the steering. The rims are painted up but am disappointed in the finish so I may redo them...

14330141_10101105758688040_7552460508491

14355059_10101105758708000_4429742775254

• Like 4

meadowfield

All looks mighty familiar!  think your tires look a bit knarlier than mine!

Good to see you cracking on with it :thumbs:

pic4.jpg

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 8

rexman72

looking good

bds1984

Thanks Mark!  At the time, those tires were the only style I could find unless I wanted to spend as much on one tire as I have the entire build so far.  

I'm sensing there is going to be some sort of interference between the drive pulley on the front axle and on the steering system where the tie-rod will attach.  Did you run into that?  

meadowfield
5 hours ago, bds1984 said:

Thanks Mark!  At the time, those tires were the only style I could find unless I wanted to spend as much on one tire as I have the entire build so far.  

I'm sensing there is going to be some sort of interference between the drive pulley on the front axle and on the steering system where the tie-rod will attach.  Did you run into that?  

Not that I recall, it's three years ago, here's a build pic of the steering. If it makes you feel better I paid more for the axle, wheels and tires than the original tractor...that cost me £300 ($450) with deck and trailer!

image.jpeg

• Like 4

bds1984
On 9/21/2016 at 2:42 AM, meadowfield said:

Not that I recall, it's three years ago, here's a build pic of the steering. If it makes you feel better I paid more for the axle, wheels and tires than the original tractor...that cost me £300 ($450) with deck and trailer!

Ouch!  Why so much?  I found mine for about the price of a new tire!  I wasn't really looking for it but when I was scrounging around in the local salvage yard I came across it and thirty minutes, plus a few four lettered words I had myself a new project.  If this build goes well, I just may buy the second axle I saw there and keep it for a rainy day.  

• Like 1

meadowfield

Mtd yardman, etc all fairly uncommon here in the UK. Though I did pick up an axle last week for my next 4x4 creation for a lot less...

• Like 1

Texas Todd

That looks terrific!! Awesome job!

Could you put 15's on the rear?

bds1984

I don't think they'd clear the foot rests. I'm going to drop the transmission three inches instead.  

The tires on there right now are loaded and I have chrome hubcaps on all four wheels.... so I want to keep that look! 

roadapples

Looks mean the way it sits....

• Like 3

857 horse
19 hours ago, roadapples said:

Looks mean the way it sits....

:text-yeahthat: I'd leave it as it sits........Looks mean,,,,,,It would scare off most JD's i know...just my .:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

JC 1965

Great project. I also like the high look. It's going to be a 4x4 so jack it up for extra clearance.   :twocents-02cents:  Keep the pics coming. Thanks for sharing.   :thumbs2:

• Like 2

WHX??

How did I miss this thread!!! Looks nice:handgestures-thumbupright:.... I'm in for the rest!

meadowfield

looking good...