Forest Road

Log skidding suggestions

Forest Road

I have a place in northern NY state where the balsam population has been crucified. There are thousands of acres of dead trees. The blight is finally considered over and new trees are coming in. However now I have to deal w removing and burning hundreds of dead trees on my property, as well as on our common driveway. 

I'm curious what some of our members have done for skidding applications . The grab and drag has worked but is very limited. I'm contemplating something w an electric winch.

Im using a 522xi w loader. 

Thank you

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I have a trailer with 23" tall tires and an overall width of 4'. The box is about 3' x 7' with two stakes at each end. I cut everything about 4" long and pile it crosswise on the trailer. It burns faster than I can cut and haul it. I find material 4' long can be handled easier and it gets cut up before it gets dragged through the dirt. I often haul and cross pile in 4' x 4' piles 6' tall as time allows and then make a full day of hauling and burning.

Garry

• Like 2

Forest Road

Thanks for your input Gary. I pull a 5' x 10' trailer w the Xi and load it up regularly. 

I've gotten to the point where I need a winch. Really just trying to figure out which option is most time & cost effective. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Don1977

Here is how i mounted my winch. If I installed a plug and socket It would be easy to remove. I have a receiver hitch on my on my C-120 so I haven't needed to remove it.

I used it as a rear lift on attachments.

SAM_0487.jpg

SAM_0490.jpg

SAM_0514.jpg

• Like 5

Forest Road

Love it! I'm leaning in that direction. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1