SSman

518h

SSman

I just got home from looking at a one owner 1989 518h with 412 hours on it. The guy says it always only cut grass,nothing else. It's been sitting inside for about 5 years now. He said the fuel pump was giving him trouble,so it sat and he bought a new zero turn. Four tires are flat,it's missing the steering wheel center cap and one plastic headlight bezel. The machine itself looks actually really good and should clean up nice! The engine looks very clean,the cylinders were bright aluminum colored. The rear end was pretty wet on the outside but the dipstick showed full and very clean as well as the motor oil. 

Can anyone tell me any good/bad sides to this tractor? I know it's not even CLOSE to the 520. I know most of the notable differences. He wants $300 firm,and says if not it can stay put,doesn't bother him a bit. Is this a good price? I have  feeling i'll be doing a LOT more to it than a fuel pump just to get it going. Any input is appreciated guys,thanks!

Tankman

$300. Excellent price.

A steering wheel center cap and headlamp bezels, inexpensive easy to purchase and the new steering wheel cap has the Horse! A plus!

Fuel pump is easy enough too.

Me? I think it would be in my shop. Pronto. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Please update your post either way.

Shown below is my 520-8. Air screen, bye-bye Toro. Steering cap, adios Toro. Decals, Hi Horsey!, thanks Terry!

Muffler chrome guard, $20 eBay. Headlamp bezels, partstree.com.

WH-Price-1990.JPG

WH-Onan+Steer+Decals.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 6

elliot ness

Thanks for the post, very interesting. These tractor were not cheep. But that's why they are still going strong all these years later.:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 2

953 nut
10 hours ago, SSman said:

Is this a good price? I have  feeling i'll be doing a LOT more to it than a fuel pump just to get it going.

You may be pleasantly surprised, could be all it needs is the fuel pump ,and a little love. Worst case scenario, you will spend less to rebuild it than a "Big Box" lawn mower will cost and the :wh: will be working 20 years from now!

Go get it!

• Like 3

BESTDOGEVER

The main difference between the 518h and the 520 is the trans and the hydro lift  my 518h has 1700 hours on the clock and 418A has 800 with the eaton 1100 both are equally strong as far as pulling or climbing fuel pump is simple and cheap. 300.00 is cheap for the low hours even if you put a little more into it. take some gas with you  and see if it starts that will make it easier to decide 

Edited by BESTDOGEVER

Kurt-NEPA

$300 is a good price.  Assuming all is as it stated to be.

You can replace the fuel pump with an electric fuel pump for less than $50.  I've done that with both of my 520H's. Best money I've spent on them.  They start right up every time now.

I think your challenge is to find out what else is wrong with this tractor.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA