Per Markus

Center Double Groove Double D pulley identification problem

Per Markus

Hi

I'm new to this forum. Thought I would ask here, since any dealers who sells these things usually doesn't have the part in stock, and so they can't answer what I'm wondering about.

I'm looking for the Center (with double groove) pulley on a mower deck I have. Any model or serial number on it is long gone unfortunately. But I gueess it's a 48 " (from blade tip to blade tip it seems to be a little under 47", but I guess it's a 48" deck then (?)!. And it's those "Double D" spindles.

I've been looking around, and I'm wondering if it's the #6756 (replaced with new #106848) I need. What's been there from before (the now broken center pulley) I believe to be an unoriginal piece made to fit by my uncle (it's his wheel horse, but due to health issues he's not able to work on it anymore), so there's not any number or anything like that on the pulley.

However, I've taken off one of the side pulley's, and on that it does say "6757", and I've taken a look at some parts catalogues, and it might seem that when the side pulley's are "6757", it should be the "6756" (106848) as the center pulley, or ?

If I put it each parts number here: https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/6757/, and the other: https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/6756/ ... both seem to match exactly on which models they fit.

But to my main question then, does anyone who might have such pulley's on their machines, or know for sure, if it's most likely the #6756 pulley I need ? I've taken some measurements on the side pulley (#6757), and I guess the center pulley should have similar, or the same dimensions (only an extra groove on top, obviously):

Center hole (spindle diameter): 19 mm (which I guess is approx 3/4 " (inches))

The distance between the flat sides in center hole (the "Double D") in the center hole: 16 mm

Outer diameter pulley: ca. 120,5 mm (approx 4 3/4 " I guess)

Width groove outer edge: ca. 12 mm

Width groove inner edge: ca. 5 mm

Height groove (from outer edge to inner edge of groove): 12,5 mm (which then means the inner diameter of the groove would be approx 95,5 mm (+/- I guess) (120,5 - 12,5 - 12,5 mm)

Height from bottom of pulley (when laying flat), up to where the center hole starts: ca. 9 mm (I guess this is also a bit important so that the pulley groove itself will be about the same height for the belt itself)

I'm not sure about the top groove dimensions (where the belt from the engine comes), but on the unoriginal broken one, it's different in size than the bottom groove. But I guess on this original part both grooves are of the same size perhaps ?

Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Also, if someone might have this double pulley, which they can sell, I would be interested of course !

KC9KAS

@Per Markus I can't help you on your pulleys, but :WRS:

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

This chart may help as some have pulleys identified.

Garry

Per Markus
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

It looks exactly like it. I don't know how many models look similar, but it has that "narrow" support frame (I've seen pictures of decks with a much wider one, but it's not that on mine), and "square edged" (if that makes sense, english is not my first language, lol) belt cover (not round corners), 3 rollers (one in front, and two back), height adjuster on the left side, and that belt-"tensioner-arm" on the right front side, etc.

While any model/serial is gone on the deck, I've been able to locate the model and serial number on the Wheel Horse that it originally was on (my uncle bought a newer Wheel Horse which he mounted the deck on some years back). I don't know if the deck was on that older tractor from the factory, but that Wheel Horse is a "1 6241", which from my searching suggest it's a 1969 model ? Serial number is 598641.

The RL-486 deck part list you linked to seem to say it's a 1967 model. Which could be correct for all I know. Maybe the deck was taken from a couple of years older tractor back then (or was simply unused for a couple of years after it was made). My uncle bought this used, so..., who knows.

If it's more likely a deck that's from the same year as the tractor (1969), which deck could fit then ? Or more importantly, would those 2 years of difference have anything to say regarding any difference in what type (or size etc) of pulley's used ?

Edited by Per Markus

Aldon

I am on business travel but will be home tonight. I have the same pulley that I just pulled from 48 inch deck and I sandblasted and painted and the part number is visible. I might part with it if you decide it is same as yours. It may be tomorrow before I get the pics and number to you.

Ed Kennell

I have an RL- 486 deck and it has the # 6756 center pulley.  Mine has the double D  7/4" drive as you described.

On my deck both pulleys are 5" dia.

Per Markus
16 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have an RL- 486 deck and it has the # 6756 center pulley.  Mine has the double D  7/4" drive as you described.

On my deck both pulleys are 5" dia.

While it seems the outer pulley's on mine are 4 3/4 " (outer diameter), I guess if it's  slightly bigger (5 ") it doesn't matter that much. The unoriginal double pulley that's been there for years is bigger, and I haven't noticed any big problems with that.

7/4 " ??

The spindle diameter (center hole) seem to be ca. 19 mm , which is 3/4 " .. and the Double D "diameter" is ca. 16 mm, which I guess is 5/8 " ... was your "7/4" " a typo, or are you referring to a measurement of something else ?

1 hour ago, Aldon said:

I am on business travel but will be home tonight. I have the same pulley that I just pulled from 48 inch deck and I sandblasted and painted and the part number is visible. I might part with it if you decide it is same as yours. It may be tomorrow before I get the pics and number to you.

Aldon, I might be (very) interested in that. If it turns out this is indeed the pulley I need. How's the condition on this pulley ? Then I'm first of all thinking about any metal fatigue (correct english word?), or certainly any noticeable starting cracks etc. Then I guess it would be best to get a brand new piece (if possible).

But if it's in good condition, and at a reasonable price ? ...I'd be interested, sure :)

Aldon

I just realized your in Norway. I have no idea how to ship through customs. But I will still provide part number and photos when I can.

Ed Kennell

Sorry Per, the 7/4" was a typo.    Spindle dia. is 3/4" and 5/8" across the flats.     These pulleys are available for  143 USD the last time I looked.

Per Markus
55 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yes, I actually emailed them about this. I asked if they had it in stock, but they replied it would be 10-12 business to get back in stock .. which is quite a while. I guess most/all dealers need to get it back in stock first. So because of that, if a used one is an option, I'll probably go with that.

But in the end, the most important would be to get it, at some point, vs. not at all. As long as I can confirm for sure it's that specific item I need .. But so far, it looks more and more to be that one I need ?!

Thanks for all the help you've all provided so far.

And Aldon, I would most likely be interested in your pulley then, if it's the 106848 (6756) one (and again, if it's this one I need), and hopefully we can make a deal. I'm in Norway, yes :) .. but if you prefer not to ship to me directly, I do have a friend in US, which I can probably have it shipped to, and then he just ship it to me again. For any payment, I hope you can accept PayPal ? .. But we can work out any details later I guess.

• Like 1

Lars

I guess the pulley you are looking for is a castiron pulley that looks like this one.

20160824_215713_zpsvcxcvvnf.jpg20160824_215750_zpsfhm0qdpo.jpg

Lars

• Like 1

Per Markus

Lars, yeah, I agree that this is most likely the one I'm after.

You don't happen to have this one for sale do you ? (if that's your own pictures, taken just now...) ;)

Would be really easy, and needless to say, a LOT quicker for it to arrive too...

Aldon

Here is a pic of the double cast iron pulley off 48 inch deck and the single cast iron pulley above it for reference.

the number on the double pulley is 106848. Numbers on the single cast pulleys are 8757.

the second pic is the top view.

the third pic is side view.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Aldon

Here is a pic of the double cast iron pulley off 48 inch deck and the single cast iron pulley above it for reference.

the number on the double pulley is 106848. Numbers on the single cast pulleys are 8757.

the second pic is the top view.

the third pic is side view.

i also sent you a PM.

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Lars
1 hour ago, Per Markus said:

Lars, yeah, I agree that this is most likely the one I'm after.

You don't happen to have this one for sale do you ? (if that's your own pictures, taken just now...) ;)

Would be really easy, and needless to say, a LOT quicker for it to arrive too...

Sendt Pm Per..